How do you feel it has helped your compositions?

Do you think it has any worthy benefit for improvisers in popular styles of music?
Quote by Unreal T
How do you feel it has helped your compositions?

A lot. Although, I typically like "free" counterpoint, not species counterpoint.

Do you think it has any worthy benefit for improvisers in popular styles of music?

For improvising? Not really. Counterpoint is all about planning. When you're improvising, it's on the fly.
In a sense, counterpoint knowledge can be useful during an improvisation, attempting to make good counterpoint with the bassist/underlying harmony (ex. aiming for the "thirds of chords") is an important strategy for "making the changes" and having your improvisations sound out harmony changes even if there aren't any being played.

This is a major goal for any jazz improviser, or anyone who is serious about playing melodically.

Now obviously that's not counterpoint in the traditional sense, but my point is that studying the art/science of the creation and manipulation of multiple melodies can only make you better, because that's all music is anyway. Simultaneous melodies.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Last edited by Jet Penguin at Jul 4, 2014,
it is the single most useful and empowering thing i've ever learned.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I know what counterpoint is, I've messed around with a little and try to incorporate in my writing (mostly in the way that it's related to voice leading, which I do know pretty well), but I never really learned correctly. Anybody know of any good articles online or a book that really breaks it down?
Quote by Xiaoxi

Really, how so?
Quote by Xiaoxi

Yeah, it opens up so many options.

For improvising? Not really. Counterpoint is all about planning. When you're improvising, it's on the fly.

Once you get the hang of it, it gets really easy to do counterpoint on the fly for improvising chord progressions.
Quote by Unreal T
Really, how so?

in studying counterpoint, you're learning how to combine two or more independent melodies.

i challenge anyone to argue that this is not useful in improvisation (which is nothing more than composition in real time).
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.