matthewzguitarz
537 IQ
I have been working on my finger style stuff a lot more recently, but ran into a big problem recently. I have an idea on what I am supposed to do, but I just don't know how to actually do it.

Anyways, I keep running into parts of a tab like this:

x
x
x
x
x

Or others like that. From the little I understand, it wants me to pick the string and hit the rest at the same time. I have been watching Sungha Jung's videos all day but I can't figure it out.

Any ideas on this? I can do percussion just fine when I don't have to pick at the same time though
sixstringsplay
21 IQ
The x's mean do not play those strings. So your example means just play the high E string.
EMarkM
Thinker
23 IQ
I'm not sure it's quite as simple as "do not play"; that applies to chord diagrams, sure, but what notation is being used here, tab?

It could mean a percussive strike on muted strings, harmonics, something else. The problem is that people use different symbols for different things, even in standard notation sometimes.

I guess you need to listen to the original piece and, if possible, watch the musician.
Gibson SG Special 60s Tribute
Boss TU-3, NS-2, CS-3, OD-3, CE-5
Ibanez DL10
Fender Blues Junior III
Delta Blue 5 string resonator banjo
Aria Pro II Passive P-J Bass
Aria Pro II Active Music Man Bass
Laney BC-120 Bass Combo
battlespud
252 IQ
Sungha's official tabs mark percussive hits with muted symbols, so it could be a simaltaneous hit and pick, He does that in Blue alot.
2013 Ibanez Jem 7vwh
Lakewood Sungha Jung Signature
Fender Custom Shop Stratocaster
LTD Deluxe MH-1000NT
MIA Fender Strat VG + MiJ Mustang
Martin D1 +Tayor 210e
Kremona Rondo TL Classical
Gretsch G5120