So a music store in my area got Fender Certified to sell their stuff. I bought an expensive amp from them to find out its a B Stock amp. I was charged full price for it and they are saying "we don't do returns on fender products".

Amp sounds OK but the leather (or at least I think its leather) is coming loose on inside corners and seams. Mainly around the knobs and overlapping leather. I also noticed that someone re-glued a large piece of leather on the bottom-front-left corner of the amp. Very well done on glueing it. I just feel like a return or partial refund should have been given.

Do you think if I contacted Fender they could help me out in anyway?
hmm in such a situation I try not to fight the powers that be and just turn it into something good. Sounds like it is only B stock due to cosmetic issues and the amp itself will be fine. Maybe take this chance to re-tolex it in some funky super rare one of a kind colour? (Tolex is the name of the 'leather')
I had a tag on it that said 5 year warranty but I believe it was thrown away. Not sure if thats it or not. I would be too concerned if it wasn't falling apart after a month. I saved for a long time too afford this amp so I want it to last and be the fender quality I'm used to over the years.
Take pics and contact Fender warranty for a ruling. Maybe it was a bad batch and they will send you a new one. They will want the serial # and a copy of your paid receipt.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jul 4, 2014,
Regardless, I wouldn't buy from them again and I'd warn my local guitar buddies. That's pretty assholian. Nothing wrong with selling/buying b-stock so long as both parties are aware and the price should reflect. I would definitely complain to fender, and I would exaggerate as much as possible.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
How did you find out it's a B stock? Was it printed in the paperwork or marked in some way or are you just guessing? Even a genuine B stock amp will have full factory warranty against true defects. I am not sure the store did anything wrong at this point.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
not really any paper work with the place i bought it. they actually hand wrote the receipt. the one i tried out on the floor was flawless. guess i should have checked out the one from the back as well. i contacted fender through email so i should get a verdict within the next year. haha

most likely gonna have to call them at some point.
weird thing is it was like their 1st week of being fender certified.

it just looks b stock. i seem quite a bit of gear and this amp looks like it was put together by a very high individual.
Quote by jon_six
So a music store in my area got Fender Certified to sell their stuff. I bought an expensive amp from them to find out its a B Stock amp. I was charged full price for it and they are saying "we don't do returns on fender products".

Amp sounds OK but the leather (or at least I think its leather) is coming loose on inside corners and seams. Mainly around the knobs and overlapping leather. I also noticed that someone re-glued a large piece of leather on the bottom-front-left corner of the amp. Very well done on glueing it. I just feel like a return or partial refund should have been given.

Do you think if I contacted Fender they could help me out in anyway?

Quote by Cajundaddy
How did you find out it's a B stock? Was it printed in the paperwork or marked in some way or are you just guessing? Even a genuine B stock amp will have full factory warranty against true defects. I am not sure the store did anything wrong at this point.

I don't know what it takes to be a Fender Certified shop, but refusing to take returns on Fender products that YOU sold, would seem to me, to be on the list of things NOT to do.
Especially if its an obvious defect.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Jul 4, 2014,
yeah that 'we don't do returns on xyz' is bullshit. here in australia, if the item isn't as described, you have a legal right to your money back. if you were sold an amp as new and then found out it was b-stock, the shit's on them.
I don't see where the store did anything wrong. If they just got the amp and you bought it from them? While I agree that their policy on returns is pretty F-d and that would keep me from buying at all.

Contacting Fender is a good idea, just don't be surprised if nothing comes of it
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate