Hey again! I have a question about changing strings...how often should you change your strings? I have a Fender FA-130 acoustic/electric that I've been taking lessons with. (See my intro post) and have yet to change the strings. It keeps tune fairly well and isn't that far off between practice sessions. The package came with an extra set of Fender strings. Should I wait until one breaks or is there a limit to a string life, ie being stretched, worn, etc...remember I'm new! Also, I was looking through my latest guitar magazine, and with the exception of a few, almost all fretboards are made of rosewood. What's the reason behind this? I never thought of it actually until now, but almost all being electric or acoustic are rosewood. Except for the maple strat I'm wanting
Wow, lots of questions!

First, you'd probably get this answered a lot faster down on one of the sub-forums like Electric Guitar; many folks don't frequent the New User forum.

Now, with regard to string replacement, it's going to vary a bit. How often you play, how vigorous you play, how much your hand sweats while you play, the environment your guitar is in, do you clean your strings regularly, etc. Strings after a while may sound "dead"--they don't have the resonance of newer strings. Some folks replace their strings as often as every few days or once a week, while others can play on the same set of strings for months or up to a year before swapping them.

Rosewood is selected as a common material for fretboards because it's cheap, relatively durable, and fairly easy to work with. Some, like the strat you're eyeing, have a neck and fretboard fashioned from a single piece of wood. Most fretboards are made of one material, and have a thin veneer of another material such as rosewood laminated onto the neck. Ebony is also a much-coveted material because of its hardness and the smooth feel it provides while playing (some have described playing on ebony as playing on glass or obsidian.) Ebony is much more expensive and a bit harder to work with, which is why it's usually only found on higher-end instruments. Some luthiers have also been experimenting with other materials, like carbon-fiber.

Hope this helps.
I am a StarGeezer: some call me..."Tim."*

* - Heartfelt apologies to Monty Python for blatant plagiarism. Those responsible have been sacked.

Epiphone G-400 "Goth"
Peavey Vypyr 75 Amp