Hey again! I have a question about changing strings...how often should you change your strings? I have a Fender FA-130 acoustic/electric that I've been taking lessons with. (See my intro post) and have yet to change the strings. It keeps tune fairly well and isn't that far off between practice sessions. The package came with an extra set of Fender strings. Should I wait until one breaks or is there a limit to a string life, ie being stretched, worn, etc...remember I'm new! Also, I was looking through my latest guitar magazine, and with the exception of a few, almost all fretboards are made of rosewood. What's the reason behind this? I never thought of it actually until now, but almost all being electric or acoustic are rosewood. Except for the maple strat I'm wanting One last ?...I hear people talk about setting up their guitar, etc. what exactly does that entail and does it apply for acoustics?
Strings have a finite life expectancy, but there are so many variables it is hard to generalise. - How often you play, whether your hands are always clean, how corrosive your perspiration is, the alloy used for the string windings, whether the strings are coated, your playing style, climate, how picky your are about tone and so on. I'm sure I've missed some. A normal range would be few days to a few months. I'm in the few months end of the range because I don't have corrosive perspiration, and I don't play the same guitar all the time.

Set up is about getting the strings in the right place relative to the frets, and involves at least adjusting nut and saddle height and neck relief. It might also include fret leveling and neck angle adjustment. It is just as important on any acoustic as on an elsctric, maybe more so if you use fairly heavy strings, and IMO is an essential aspect of buying a new guitar - the cost of a set up should be factored into the total budget.

Fretboards have to be hard and stable, and are sometimes chosen by players for their tonal contribution. Black ebony is the traditional timber for fretboards, then East Indian rosewood (EIR) came in, and various cheap options during the depression and postwar, then Leo started using maple, and now there are many different hardwoods being used. Many of the new ones them look like EIR a first glance, but won't be due to its increasing scarcity. There are also synthetic materials being used that look like ebony. IMO, it's all good, except I've had bad experiences with black ebony, so would avoid it.
Here's a great guide for acoustic setup: http://thbecker.net/guitar_playing/guitars_and_setup/setup_page_01.html

And actually, the preponderance of NECKS are mahogany, but the fret boards are most often rosewood. Which used to be from Brazil, now comes from East India. (A different species).

I have a Fender, "Sonoran" AE, which has a maple neck, pretty much copied after a strat neck. But, it has a rosewood fret board, and not an all maple neck
I usually change my strings every 3 to 4 months regardless of how much I've been playing. Sometimes I'm lazy and it'll stretch to 5/6 months. They definitely sound and look done by that point.
It depends on the gauge. I've taken to using brass on a couple of my guitars. The Sonoran I string with custom light. The frets eat through the wrapping on the G-3, killing it. Brass (80/20 alloy), is a lot softer than the phosphor bronze sets.

Although I find that you have to change PB sooner than brass, they get "a little too mellow, a bit too soon".