Page 1 of 6
Saw a lady (while transexual lady but guess that doesn't matter) on TV arguing that it's wrong to refer to children when they're born as "he" or "she" because they should be able to freely choose their own gender independently. She said instead to refer to your child as something like "they."

Do you agree or disagree with that sentiment?
"they"? no call it "that". Don't acknowledge they're in the room.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
It depends on the child's stage of development. If the kid is between 1-5, I see no problem with assigning gender based on genitalia. This is because they most likely lack the cognizance needed to think about their own gender identity. However, as soon as they are able to speak with some depth about themselves, it is important to take their thoughts into consideration.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
"It", bruh.
"Dude, am I really thinking or am I, just like, thinking that I'm thinking?" -Bill Nye

CHIMPS>WOLVES

Quote by progdude93
I don't believe the Big Bang
I think that.... you should watch better TV. Bob's Burgers is a good show.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by ErikLensherr

>not watching Orange is the New Black

You must be cis scum

Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by snipelfritz
"they"? no call it "that". Don't acknowledge they're in the room.

In fact, don't even acknowledge it as a "that." Let _______ explore ______'s own existential form of "being" and stop impressing your Cartesian standards on the rest of us.

#yesallgodisdead
Quote by ErikLensherr
Eh, King Of The Hill is better. Never got Bob's Burgers appeal.
Yes. That's just as bad as every place that uses a Mens and Women's bathroom instead of a unisex bathroom.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by The Madcap
She said instead to refer to your child as something like "they."

Not only is she an idiot, but a patron of poor grammar as well. Your child is not a plurality (unless they're conjoined twins).
This is stupid. You don't go through that extra effort on the belief that they may not act like the majority. More PC bullshit
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Quote by zgr0826
>not watching Orange is the New Black

You must be cis scum

I'm like 6 episodes into the second season, you heteronormative shitlord.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by ErikLensherr
I'm like 6 episodes into the second season, you heteronormative shitlord.

Shut up, you cisgendered, white oppressor.

Quote by ErikLensherr

I get you now.
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Quote by EndThecRinge51

Quote by Skullivan
In fact, don't even acknowledge it as a "that." Let _______ explore ______'s own existential form of "being" and stop impressing your Cartesian standards on the rest of us.

#yesallgodisdead

I want you in my dick so hard.
Quote by zgr0826
Shut up, you cisgendered, white oppressor.

I'm not even white. Boom. Check your privilege.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
I'm still pretty sure "it" is the accepted vernacular.
"Dude, am I really thinking or am I, just like, thinking that I'm thinking?" -Bill Nye

CHIMPS>WOLVES

Quote by progdude93
Quote by ErikLensherr
I'm not even white. Boom. Check your privilege.

Neither am I. Fight me, normie.

EDIT: German avoids this conflict by referring to young children as "it."

Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by zgr0826
It depends on the child's stage of development. If the kid is between 1-5, I see no problem with assigning gender based on genitalia. This is because they most likely lack the cognizance needed to think about their own gender identity. However, as soon as they are able to speak with some depth about themselves, it is important to take their thoughts into consideration.

I agree
cat
I think this is a draw
Quote by jakesmellspoo
If I get to choose what I am despite my genetic make up I am now officially a piece of toast. I can commit genocide and guess what, HAHAHAHA YOU CANT DO ANYTHING TO ME BECAUSE IM A ****ING PIECE OF TOAST AHHAHAHAHAHAH
Quote by guitarxo
I agree

T-thank you...

Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by Wormholes
If I get to choose what I am despite my genetic make up I am now officially a piece of toast. I can commit genocide and guess what, HAHAHAHA YOU CANT DO ANYTHING TO ME BECAUSE IM A ****ING PIECE OF TOAST AHHAHAHAHAHAH

Nah, they'll give you the electric chair. I guess your dreams of being toast would come true, though.

CHIMPS>WOLVES

Quote by progdude93
Quote by Wormholes

brb changing my race on Facebook to "Whole Wheat"
Practically useless. Of course you should pay attention to your kids and not try to box them into a specific role based on genitalia, but understand that the whole world will.
Coming from a pure psychology perspective: it depends on the child. Some are aware early on to know what they are. Others need some time.

There is no clear answer. Every case needs to be evaluated individually.

Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by zgr0826
Coming from a pure psychology perspective: it depends on the child.

Jesus Christ! Give this man a Nobel peacey-prize.
Quote by zgr0826
Coming from a pure psychology perspective: it depends on the child. Some are aware early on to know what they are. Others need some time.

There is no clear answer. Every case needs to be evaluated individually.

Yeah, I don't disagree. I'm not sure if this post is directed at me haha cuz I don't see where I warranted this response

Also I find it weird that people would have such contrarian backlash to something like this. Seems like anything that could've come out of basic concepts on gender are always gonna be seen as ridiculous. I think it might be cuz the majority wouldn't really know the feeling but the refusal to understand or tolerate is really what pisses me off.
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Jul 5, 2014,
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Yeah, I don't disagree. I'm not sure

Also I find it weird that people would have such contrarian backlash to something like this. Seems like anything that could've come out of basic concepts on gender are always gonna be seen as ridiculous. I think it might be cuz the majority wouldn't really know the feeling but the refusal to understand or tolerate is really what pisses me off.

I refuse to see anything about gender as "this or that." There's always a middle ground to examine.

Quote by ErikLensherr

I'm not gonna get my kids a barbie or an action figure or anything that'll reinforce gender norms. They'll have one of these:

Quote by jakesmellspoo
I hate this tumblr feminism... I read an article someone shared on fb yesterday, where they had to add "cis" to a quote, like "[Cis] men think ..." or something like that.

Why don't use their natural gender before they determine their own identity (which in nearly all cases remains in accordance with their equipment)?
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Last edited by sfaune92 at Jul 5, 2014,
Quote by snipelfritz
Jesus Christ! Give this man a Nobel peacey-prize.

Quote by EndTheRapture51

Quote by EndThecRinge51

Quote by zgr0826
I refuse to see anything about gender as "this or that." There's always a middle ground to examine.

This is driving me nuts. Where am I disagreeing?
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Jul 5, 2014,
oh lord...
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
This is driving me nuts. Where am I disagreeing?

Maybe he's just... Agreeing with you? lol.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
If the chil has a dick then it aint no chick

...until it feels as if it were born into the wrong gender
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle