Any recommendations for the best Tele under $1000 for Rock, new or used?

I've been reading a lot about the G&L ASAT USA and Fender Baja, but was wondering which was better and if there were better options.
The John 5 model Tele I heard a lot of good things about for rock. Even the Squier version is quite good. I had a 72 reissue Thinline it was a very good player and you can get a lot of sound out of those wide range humbuckers.
A John 5 Tele or G&L ASAT Deluxe would be excellent choices.

Reverend also has some designs that are evolved from the Telecaster that would work well and are in your price range, like the Charger or Flatroc.
www.reverendguitars.com/instrument/charger-hb/
http://www.reverendguitars.com/instrument/flatroc/
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Well, TBH, if you want just the Tele shape but not necessarily the "tele sound" (thanks to the 2 humbuckers), that's the John 5. The Squier plays excellent and is a good base for upgrades, if you see it needing any.
Tokai guitars have always been more than surprising and always bang for the buck. Check those out if you find some teles from them in your area.
Can't say anything bad about Fender Baja either. If you like it but find it lacking in some areas, try to hunt for used Fender Teles. To me, Teles and Strats are best to buy used and sometimes have great deals around (still mad at myself buying a Squier CV and then 2 months later seeing a Korean Swamp Ash strat for same price used).
The G&L USA strat I tried was excellent, the only shame was that it wasn't used so it had a huge price tag (IMHO). I also tried an abroad made ASAT, it didn't speak to me. It didn't feel like anything special, guess it was okay for the price.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at Jul 5, 2014,
what do you mean by rock exactly?

do you want something which still sounds more or less like a tele, or do you just want something that looks like a tele (i.e. do you want tele-style single coils pickups or humbuckers/p90s or something like that?)?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 5, 2014,
a friendly reminder that many Rage Against the Machine songs (including Killing in the name of) were recorded and performed on a stock MIM telecaster with two single coils.

If there is a specific tone you had in mind, tell us and we can help you. Otherwise, you can play rock with any telecaster
Last edited by flexiblemile at Jul 5, 2014,
Good point, amplified by the fact that much of Led Zep's early stuff was also recorded on a Tele.

Fender USA Professional Standard Telecaster HS. $999.99

Great for all styles of rock. Good ratings. Within price range. Looks cool.

+311 to the G&L ASAT
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Thanks, guys. I have this G&L ASAT Classic USA Semi-Hollow Telecaster on the way!

Very nice choice. Same color?

Wow that's very nice

I really like G&Ls, but they're so dear in Europe
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You need to check sites like Reverb or Guitars and Effects to snag a used one. Maybe eBay. Some of those guys DO ship to the UK.

Of course, it's not like there aren't some killer guitar makers in the British Isles that WE get to pay extra for!

Quote by grayson73
Thanks, guys. I have this G&L ASAT Classic USA Semi-Hollow Telecaster on the way!

absolutely beautiful !! ... total love the wood binding , gorgious .... your going to love the sound of the MFD pickups and those are good ones
Last edited by Fumble fingers at Jul 8, 2014,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
You need to check sites like Reverb or Guitars and Effects to snag a used one. Maybe eBay. Some of those guys DO ship to the UK.

Of course, it's not like there aren't some killer guitar makers in the British Isles that WE get to pay extra for!

yeah some of the USA dealers might well ship, but I've never seen a model I actually wanted in stock any time I was looking.

And yeah that's true, but I think on balance you guys get the better deal. Granted we get the NHS etc. so I don't want to complain too much.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Clearly, we do.

Australia gets it even worse than we do
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I always have a tough time with these queries; a $500 Korean tele (sourced here in the US at that price) will do virtually everything I'd ever expect from a tele and will play very well. After that it's cosmetics and tweak-type changes (birdseye neck, stainless frets, etc.).Tteles that hit over $4000 (Wild West in Riverside has those from Suhr, and the Fender Custom Shop) are like exotic wood cutting boards, or the gold-plated AK-47s that the middle east oil guys favor. Gotta love 'em, nonetheless.
I dunno. I sort of sit on the fence, as usual. Up to a certain point (and in general; some things are better value than others) more money normally does get you something which is "better", but at the same time there's a point where things are "good enough", as well, and you're paying more money for slight (if any) improvements.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

Australia gets it even worse than we do

Yeah, at least as far as mainstream stuff goes...but have you seen the stuff their luthiers are doing? They have better access to exotic woods from Southeast Asia, and it shows.

Of course, that don't 'xackly hep them in the amp & pedal markets.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 9, 2014,
Quote by Dave_Mc
I dunno. I sort of sit on the fence, as usual. Up to a certain point (and in general; some things are better value than others) more money normally does get you something which is "better", but at the same time there's a point where things are "good enough", as well, and you're paying more money for slight (if any) improvements.

My personal electric axe collection ranges from about $500-3500. There ARE noticeable differences in wood quality, finishes, parts, and attention to detail (electronics, fit, finish, etc.) as you go up the price scale.

But they're not as big as they were 15+ years ago. These days, there are some amazing guitars being made for $650-1000 these days, at least in part because some makers are using quality materials in their overseas (read: South Korean, Mexican, and now, Indonesian) factories.

But there are definitely still some pricey axes I'd buy. Beyond the solo luthiers I deal with right now, I'd have no qualms dropping $2.5k-5k or more with Vigier for a Surfreter, or on something from Myka, Crimson, Driskill, Parker, Veilette and a few others if/when my budget permits.

^^ yeah It's the old thing (and it's the same here)- if you just want a good instrument, you can get that in most parts of the world for a reasonable price. But if you want something specific, in some countries you're shit out of luck...

^ yeah.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^^ yeah It's the old thing (and it's the same here)- if you just want a good instrument, you can get that in most parts of the world for a reasonable price. But if you want something specific, in some countries you're shit out of luck...

Yup, even here in 'Murica. I'd love to get my hands on a Swing Exciter Gold or something from Radix, but AFAIK, neither Indonesian company has a distribution agreement with ANYONE who has an outlet in or ships to the USA.

http://swingguitars.com/xe/index.php?mid=electric_guitars_e&category=60502&document_srl=61876

Is the Swing anything truly special? Probably not. And I have a custom guitar with the same pickups. But I'd be the first kid on my block with one.

Probably for the rest of my life.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 9, 2014,
LOL

that's nice
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I will add my 2 cents into this-
Just after christmas this year I bought a Fender Tele Jazzmaster - My advice is DO NOT buy one of these it is the biggest disappointment I have ever had.
always wanted one of the schecter teles.

congrats on the new G&L! You're gonna love it.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬