What amp do you have?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I have Roland Cube 15. But I'm going to buy better one. Preferably Line 6 Spider IV 30 or 75.
Quote by szanks
I have Roland Cube 15. But I'm going to buy better one. Preferably Line 6 Spider IV 30 or 75.

Don't bother upgrading your pickups and don't bother getting either of those amps. Save your money for something that's actually good and not a practice amp. You want to play metal so something like a used 6505/5150 combo would suit you just fine, you'll just need to save up a bit more money.

Trust me, it'll be worth it in the end.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Save your money for a new amp. A proper amp. Like a 6505+ 112. If you buy and install a new pickup with any of those amps mentioned, you're going to feel ripped off.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
+1

even a jet city on the cheap would be a massive step up from what you already have, and it's high gain enough for most metal, depending on exactly what type of metal you play.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It gonna be really hard to get money for those big amps. Buying used Line6 75 is arleady big deal for me

Is there any other option to make logical upgrade?
Quote by szanks
It gonna be really hard to get money for those big amps. Buying used Line6 75 is arleady big deal for me

Just save your money dude, you'll be much better off just saving the money. The only thing the line 6 will do for you is be louder which is basically no help at all.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
how much is the used line 6? the cheapest jet city high gain amp on thomann is somewhere around 250-300 euros I think (they're out of stock so I can't remember for sure but I remember thinking the 20 watt 2 channel combo was super-cheap).

Obviously you know better than we do what your financial situation is, and no-one wants you to get into difficulties- but those jet cities (if they get them back into stock) might be reachable if you combine your current pickup and amp budgets and save a little more.

If that's not possible, no worries. As zaphod says you might be better to save your money then; alternatively, one of the better, bigger modellers might be enough of a step up from what you already have to justify the cost (but only you will know that). They won't be a ton cheaper than the jet city, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by szanks

Patience is logical. Annoying, but logical. In the meanwhile learn a couple jazz and blues numbers and start busking. You have to practice anyway; you might as well get some money out of it.
And what if I don't care about tubes? I would like to go digital way.
Those Line6 spiders are seriously THAT bad?
What about other digital stuff? For example pods? Pod 2.0 is awful too?
Quote by szanks
And what if I don't care about tubes? I would like to go digital way.
Those Line6 spiders are seriously THAT bad?
What about other digital stuff? For example pods? Pod 2.0 is awful too?

It's not that they're bad, Line6 make a lot of fantastic gear, but the Spider certainly isn't enough of a step up from what you've got now to justify the cost. No one's saying "go for tubes" specifically it's just that if you're a metal player things like the 6505/5150 combo are basically the tone. This is really what I mean when I say that the Spider IV 75 will basically be what you've got now but louder: the tone won't be much better than what you're working with at the minute.

If you're going to get a POD then one of the HD range (at least the 400) is going to be what you're going for; the models are higher quality. Again, it's not to say that any of the others are bad it's just that when you weigh up the sound you're going to get and what you already have the expenditure doesn't really make sense.

In terms of the tone you're going for and the kind of gear you're looking at it just makes more sense in the long run to wait a bit, save more money if you have to, and get something that's really good because something like the 6505/5150 combo will basically suit what you want until what you want changes and even then you'll be able to sell it on quickly, easily, and for a decent amount of money.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
I checked few sites and auction sites and in my country those combos are far beyond my budget. There's no possibility I gonna have that amount of money.
And I need some amp to be able to play small gigs with good tone. Meh. Help me guys.
^ How much can you get/are you willing to spend?

We don't want you to get into financial difficulties or anything like that, but we're not magicians either

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
It's not that they're bad, Line6 make a lot of fantastic gear, but the Spider certainly isn't enough of a step up from what you've got now to justify the cost. No one's saying "go for tubes" specifically it's just that if you're a metal player things like the 6505/5150 combo are basically the tone. This is really what I mean when I say that the Spider IV 75 will basically be what you've got now but louder: the tone won't be much better than what you're working with at the minute.

If you're going to get a POD then one of the HD range (at least the 400) is going to be what you're going for; the models are higher quality. Again, it's not to say that any of the others are bad it's just that when you weigh up the sound you're going to get and what you already have the expenditure doesn't really make sense.

In terms of the tone you're going for and the kind of gear you're looking at it just makes more sense in the long run to wait a bit, save more money if you have to, and get something that's really good because something like the 6505/5150 combo will basically suit what you want until what you want changes and even then you'll be able to sell it on quickly, easily, and for a decent amount of money.

I have no experience with the pod, but other than that, +1
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks

If you're ok with buying on Thomann, and are willing to wait until the thing comes back into stock, the jet city jca2212 is going to be less than that (at least based on what they used to sell it for when it was in stock). Even the 5012 1x12 combo might be around that amount of money (as I said, it's out of stock so I can't remember for sure).

Obviously tubes have more associated costs, like tube replacement and rebiasing, so if you can just about stretch to the amp it still might not be feasible, but it's still worth considering. These days you can get pretty decent high gain tube amps for not that much- gone are the days where if you couldn't afford a 6505, mesa dual rectifier or soldano that you were out of luck.

As I said, I'm not saying you have to do it, but it's an option, that's all. That's sort of why we like to see a budget, because we might be aware of things which are available which you aren't.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
So what is minimum to gig? Less than 50 wats and just 1x12 is enough? Really?

Would be nice if you could name few good amps, preferably combos in my budget. As i said around 250-300 euro. So i'll know what to look for. Please exact names

And I'm sorry for turning guitar thread on amps. Anyway it's about upgrading my guitar sound so.. i guess it's fine.
Last edited by szanks at Jul 7, 2014,
20 watts is fine for gigging, as long as you don't need pristine cleans. Even better if you're being mic'd up.
As said above, the Jet City Is awesome value. You might be able to find a used Peavey Ultra combo or something. Not sure how your used market is.
[404]Signature not found
So i'll look for Jet City and Peavey Ultra.
What about Marshall Valvestate?

BTW I need being able to play on headphones and being able to connect other devices for example my phone to turn on backing track. Anyway if there won't be this option i'll got by..
Quote by szanks
BTW I need being able to play on headphones and being able to connect other devices for example my phone to turn on backing track. Anyway if there won't be this option i'll got by..

You won't get those things out of most gigging-level amps. Things like the cubes designed for street use will get you that but nothing really designed for gigs with a band.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Your help is really appreciated.

I'll survive without headphones etc in this case. What about 1x12 and 2x12? 2x12 doesn't sound better? And name few other amps, it's hard to find specific amp on my used market.
I don't gig, so bear that in mind

From what most people here who do gig say, 20 watt is ok for gigging if you don't need cleans and are ok with some power tube distortion. 30 is safer, and probably 50, for cleans. It's hard to say exactly because every amp is different- for example, the jet cities don't really have a clean channel, so it's not really the wattage that's affecting the cleans, it's that the "clean" channel has too much distortion available.

Everything else being equal, 2x12 is better, yeah. it just sounds a bit bigger. if you can stretch, you can get the jet city 50 watt head (http://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca50h.htm) and harley benton g212 vintage cabinet (http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm) for around 500 euros or so (and you'd also need a speaker cable which is probably around 10 euros). If you can't, no worries, the 1x12 50 watt combo (JCA 5012C) would most likely be fine (if/when it's back in stock- as I said, I can't remember for sure the price but I think it was around 300 euros). It also has a worse speaker than the speakers in that Harley Benton cabinet, so ideally at some point you'd swap the speaker in it (but you can do that whenever you've gathered up more money).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'll consider saving money for Jet City amp.
Anyway I feel pretty sad that Spider IV is really not an upgrade.
Digital amps looks like giving everything for small amount of money.
They are easier to move, they have amazing features and so on.
oh yeah for a practice amp on the cheap digital amps are pretty sweet. and there are also really expensive digital amps like the axe fx (haven't tried it) which are meant to be amazing, but then they cost $2000+.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by szanks

They give everything.

But everything they give rates on a scale from Shit to Mediocre.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by szanks

As Dave said... the issue is when people sell what are basically just really big practice amps for gigging. As a practice amp things like the Spider and whatever are great, really very very good. For live though... the tones and such just don't hold up.

Unlike Dave, however, I have used an Axe-FX (all the tones on my album, in my signature, are from it, bass included)... they are the most amazing pieces of gear. You need a power amp to use them live mostly but... holy crap.

As in all things, you really tend to get what you pay for. The law of diminishing returns applies past a certain point but if you know what you're doing and throw more money at the problem, you're going to get something better.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
^
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Good that I wrote here. I was about to buy this Line6.
So overall ( i'll mention guitar word just to make this thread more legit in electric guitar subforum ) I'll upgrade my guitar sound by buying new tube amp and then new pickups.
Amp first. I'll look for Jet City combos. Is there any other legit combos? To be honest I prefer combo, it's more mobile than head + speaker. And i'll travel a little with that.
Bugera gets a lot of hate for basically being cheap Chinese versions of reputable amps, but considering the tight budget it might be worth looking for one used.

The 6260 in particular is literally a cheaply-made version of the 6505(+). The 333 is based off a Triple-X, which is also regarded as being good for metal (The JSX was based on a Triple-X if I remember it right).

Buying one new might still be over budget, but on the rare occasion that you do find one used, they're cheap as filth.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Bugera gets a lot of hate for having such a high rate of failure.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Well, I actually need something with high gain. I'm playing heavy things. Gojira is probably peak, other than that Opeth, Mastodon, Tool, Dream Theater. When I watched few demos of Jet Cities - they don't sound like beast metal amp.
The jet cities are pretty high gain (and you can boost them with an OD pedal to get more distortion), but they are more of an 80s high gain sound than a really super-modern high gain sound like a peavey 6505 or something like that.

The peavey 6505+ 112 combo might be worth a look if you can stretch (I've only tried the heads, though, which are dearer and USA-made rather than Chinese-made).

As PsiGuy said, Bugera makes cheap copies of the peavey 6505, but their QC is supposed to be iffy. I haven't tried them.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?