So, I've been building a collection of RPG/video game music, complete with actual VST instrument application (as opposed to my usual bare MIDI music). I figured I may as well post these all here to get some feedback.

Influences for these songs include... Well, I don't want to go through all of my favorite video game music, but I'll mention Chrono Trigger because the music for that game is so fucking awesome. Other influences include all the progressive metal/rock, jazz fusion, and classical I listen to. I guess.

So, um... Well, I hope you enjoy And it's all C4C. e.g., If you crit 4 of my songs, I'll crit 4 of yours.

(I almost just posted this thread without a link)

https://soundcloud.com/windsofentropy/
@RedDeath9: Hey man! Long time, no read! It's good to hear these with some decent sounding VSTi plugins! Anyway, "Wandering the Dream Factory" is one I hadn't heard before, the track really reminds me of a Jazz Vibraphonist called Gary Burton. Dust also reminds me of Aerith's Theme at some points. You already know I'm a big fan of this stuff so I really can't complain on a musical level.

Anyway, the mixes (so far) are quite good, nothing overly offensive about them. However, they do feel somewhat lifeless, like it could use with a good bit of reverb. Do your plugins have features such as humanisation? If they don't, maybe try manually altering each "hit" or note of each instrument (yes it's annoying but worth it). You can also slightly shift each note outside of where they are supposed to be. Realistically speaking, not every note would be at a set volume or at the exact position they are supposed to be, so trying to emulate that as best as possible would be with one (or both) of those methods.

If you're looking for new VSTi plugins and have the grub, Native Instruments has Komplete 9 up for about $550 (AUD if I recall). It contains so many plugins that are all very high quality you would be overwhelmed by how much is there (not that I own it but I do have some NI plugins that are all very good).

I'm following you now on Soundcloud. Now you just need to finish writing Spirals and record that and life will be complete!
Quote by HaydenHohns
@RedDeath9: Hey man! Long time, no read! It's good to hear these with some decent sounding VSTi plugins! Anyway, "Wandering the Dream Factory" is one I hadn't heard before, the track really reminds me of a Jazz Vibraphonist called Gary Burton. Dust also reminds me of Aerith's Theme at some points. You already know I'm a big fan of this stuff so I really can't complain on a musical level.

Anyway, the mixes (so far) are quite good, nothing overly offensive about them. However, they do feel somewhat lifeless, like it could use with a good bit of reverb. Do your plugins have features such as humanisation? If they don't, maybe try manually altering each "hit" or note of each instrument (yes it's annoying but worth it). You can also slightly shift each note outside of where they are supposed to be. Realistically speaking, not every note would be at a set volume or at the exact position they are supposed to be, so trying to emulate that as best as possible would be with one (or both) of those methods.

If you're looking for new VSTi plugins and have the grub, Native Instruments has Komplete 9 up for about $550 (AUD if I recall). It contains so many plugins that are all very high quality you would be overwhelmed by how much is there (not that I own it but I do have some NI plugins that are all very good).

I'm following you now on Soundcloud. Now you just need to finish writing Spirals and record that and life will be complete!

Thanks for the feedback. I'll take what you said into account... They're definitely good points.

Spirals... Thank you for reminding me! I'll get started on that right away. I'll also check out your soundcloud tracks
Wandering the Dream Factory is really cool! it's almost too attention-catching to be background music - if you replaced some of the instruments, it easily fit in a modern-style game, or a standalone song. i was thrown off by the slow beginning, but after the parts started repeating, i saw what the whole thing is about. i think it would be really cool if it was used dynamically, whether by sections or by layers.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
@RedDeath9: No worries. Send me a PM if you update them or want some feedback. It's always a pleasure listening to your stuff.

Let me know when you post Spirals... or anything actually.

I'll be updating my Soundcloud with some new tracks around the start of next year if all falls into place. I've been writing a strange hybrid of Progressive Metal, Melodic Black Metal and Grindcore lately.
Last edited by HaydenHohns at Jul 8, 2014,