why do people refer to animals as a "he" without knowing their gender?

in real life and on youtube comments people automatically refer to animals as a "he". Sometimes when it's kind of obvious like a female orangutan, some still refer to as a he.

If a person sees a stray dog, they are going to refer to it as a he.

seems pretty illogical, animals of unknown gender should be refer to as it.
Last edited by musicandthewave at Jul 5, 2014,
They don't care. Why should I?

Besides, you can't spell she without he so just call it a he so you don't waste time saying longer words like she.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Jul 5, 2014,
Probably the same reason they refer to a ship as a "she" despite not knowing how the ship self-identifies.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
I'm as anti-patriarchy as anyone, but it's a pretty widespread linguistic feature. Languages tend to default to masculine, in some cases even when they have a neuter gender.

I usually use "it" until I know, though. Unlike with people.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
I remember I saw a baby once, and I was like "oh wow, that's a beautiful baby boy."

It turned out to be an octopus that quickly suctioned to my face and stole my glasses.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
It's because we know the female animals are all in their homes, tidying up and preparing meals, AS IS FITTING FOR ALL FEMALES. So any animal we observe not cleaning, or discussing shoes, handbags or other such vapid pursuits must, by default be male.

This posts contain opinions that I just made up in order to go against OP's point
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by Nelshizzle
I remember I saw a baby once, and I was like "oh wow, that's a beautiful baby boy."

It turned out to be an octopus that quickly suctioned to my face and stole my glasses.

That happened to you as well?