Hey people. I've been trying to learn guitar now for a little while (about a year). and I just can't seem to get it. It finally occurred to me that maybe it's too big. Despise being older I'm only 4'7 and I'm using a normal sized electric guitar. Should I go for a smaller one, or just keep pushing. I just can seem to move my hands far enough to get to the correct frets.
Last edited by cohenjsam at Jul 5, 2014,
Try looking for a thinner neck. That's usually the problem.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
I'm pretty sure they make 7/8 size guitars. That would probably feel more comfortable.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I know Shawn Lane had tiny tiny hands but he could do crazy stretches and stuff. If it is too much now though, it might not hurt to get a smaller guitar just so you can get the technique down and whatnot, and then move on to a full size if you feel ready.
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
wrong forum, you'll have better luck in the "electric guitar" subforum.

But what kind of guitar are you using? the scale and shape of the neck might indeed have an impact.
A laptop will be better suited for your small hands.

Really though, if you can, try going for a smaller guitar like everyone else said (particularly a thinner neck as Nelshizzle said).
How many frets can you stretch comfortably?
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Parlour guitars may suit you.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
If my index finger is between the nut and the first fret, then (comfortably) my middle is a just below the first fret, stretching within reason it gets about half way down the second fret, and maximum about 3/4 the way down.
Assuming the same things as above, the picky sits on the 3rd and can comfortably stretch about 1/4 the way down.
Why are you stretching between index and middle? On the same string, first fret, start with your index right above the first fret. How far down can you get your pinky?

Now do that again, with your index starting on the 9th.
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Quote by EndThecRinge51

on the first fret my pinky can get about 1/4 the way down the 3rd. on the 9th it can just barely get to the 12th.
Unless your are a little person, any guitar should be ok, there are videos of small children playing regular sized guitars, so its either you doing something wrong or the streches you are trying to make are very big.
About 4.5 inches

**** I should read OPs
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
that is indeed quite a short stretch. Learning most scales will require at least a four fret stretch.

Beginners often have problem stretching. That is not necessarily due to small hand size but simply not being used to stretching those muscles. I'm 6 feet 3 inches and at first I could hardly stretch from the first to 4th fret but now can do 1st to 6th with no real problem. My wife is about 5 feet 2 and since she started working on it, she can do 1st to 5th

If I were you, I'd focus on stretching exercises like these for a few weeks/months.

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/TE-007-FingerStretch.php
http://www.jazzguitar.be/guitar_finger_exercises.html
http://lm.gibson.com/Lessons/PowerWorkouts/FingerFlexibiltyWorkout/FingerFlexibilityWorkout.pdf

Work a bit on it every day and I'm sure you'll see improvement. If after a month or so, you see no improvement at all, then you can consider a 3/4 guitar. However I'd consider that a last resort because it would mean limiting yourself to your own instrument. You wouldn't be able to pick up a random axe and start jamming.

Good luck and keep at it! Once your fingers start loosening up, you won't have to keep working at it, it'll stay with you. So consider these exercises an investment
Strats normally have bigger frets dont they?

Epiphone/Gibsons have smaller frets/scale lengths I believe, maybe one of those would suit you better if its causing you problems. But you'll find that as you get better you'll be able to stretch your fingers further. As long as it isn't causing you any pain then I think you should just keep at it
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
10 inches long 3 inches thick

3 inches long, 10 inches thick
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
About 1.5 inches.

Quote by eGraham
About 4.5 inches

**** I should read OPs

FUCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKK
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Quote by NewDayHappy
I knew a smaller man, just like you.

Absolutely brilliant guitarist.

grandpa's uncle snort was sawn off and short

he measured about 4'2"

but he plays like a master with an old telecaster

when you give him that good old mountain dew
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by eGraham
About 4.5 inches

**** I should read OPs

can confirm
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by cohenjsam
on the first fret my pinky can get about 1/4 the way down the 3rd. on the 9th it can just barely get to the 12th.

As mentioned, it's generally only necessary to reach to the 5th fret while hold down the third. That would take care of most pieces you need to play. But standard would be one fret per finger, so that you can comfortably reach the fourth fret with your pinky while fretting the first fret.

That's all you need to play well.

In case you're fingering the fret in the wrong area, it helps to play as close to the metal as possible, without killing the note. It's better for your intonation and helps in the stretch.

Try those stretches, and if nothing improves, then it's time to consider other alternatives.

Quote by Bladez22
Strats normally have bigger frets dont they?

The scale length on a stratocaster is generally longer, but not long enough to really make the difference in this case, I feel.
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Quote by EndThecRinge51