id like to throw a humbucker into my strat style guitar. the body is chambered and made out of red cedar. do you think it would be a good idea to get a pro to carve out a space for a humbucker or just throw a hot rail in there or something similar? i have "boutique" pickups in her now so I'm not sure if this is a good idea at all.

Also i have a button on my guitar that turns the single coils from passive to active pickups. Would i be able to hook that up with a humbucker or heavy single coil? or is that system probably designed for the handmade pickups.

Soooooo humbucker, stacked single coil, or another guitar? haha
Stacked single would probably be the easiest, assuming the guitar is routed for SSS. If I read your post correctly, it sounds like that "passive/active button" is proprietary to that specific set of, apparently hand-made, pickups. If they are hand-made, I don't see why the maker couldn't whip up a custom stacked 'bucker for you as well, allowing you to utilize the "active/passive button" thing.

That's all I got, based on the info you've given.
Take off the pick guard and see if the guitar was routed for a humbucker. If there's an area routed for a humbucker then you only need a new pick guard (or to modify the current pick guard) to add a humbucker. If your guitar doesn't have a pickguard or isn't routed for a humbucker, then you should probably just get a stacked single coil or a new guitar.
I'm so happy. I get to eat a muffin.
Quote by space aids
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.