Page 1 of 2
love blackstar, im a metal guy. I have played the ID series and the distortion sounds really good, then there is the ht5 and i had about 5 minutes with it so i dont have an opinion on it, so which should i go for ht5 or the ID. Then there is the question, combo or should i get the head and pair it with an orange cab and i should let you know that this is for bedroom use only.
Ht5 combo or head? Because I don't like the combo that much but the head with a nice 4x12 cab sounds great even at low volume. If you wanna stay in a low budget, ID serie is very impressive on the bang for the buck side.
Also check the HT5 Metal, basicly same than regular HT-5 but not same tubes and voiced more for "metal", and most important, it has a meaner look :P.

Finally, I know some of them have an input jack for headphones, that could be nice for you.
Jackson DK2FS
Fernandes FR-65

Morley pro series pedal
BBE two time Delay
Empress Nebulus
Subdecay Quantum Quasar
Solid Gold FX Nitro

Blackstar HT stage 100
Marshal 1922 2x12 (V-30, Greenback)
neither they are both mediocre amps. give us location, budget, gig or home use, current gear and we can help alot better.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Wasting your breath, Robb. Or your fingers.

This kid keeps coming back with his love for the Blackstar HT. He has been recommended proper amps countless times, but always comes back with a raging boner for Blackstar.

I just counted, he's made at least 12 "What amp" threads asking about Blackstar.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
^ I can see that, and to the less/unexperienced guitarist ofcorse they sound way better than their 1st amp. And my biggest issue with them is their lies in advertising.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Their lies are a separate issue. I'm saying this kid can't be helped.

Or he's just a troll.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by Robbgnarly
neither they are both mediocre amps. give us location, budget, gig or home use, current gear and we can help alot better.

Mediocre Amps... No, they are not. Sorry, but he ID Series are GREAT.
Quote by _tim*
Mediocre Amps... No, they are not. Sorry, but he ID Series are GREAT.

I'm guessing you haven't tried or owned very many amps.

But that's okay. We've all been there. It's natural to defend your purchase.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
I'm tired of you guys. You have 3435 Guitars and 98 tube amps, that's great. But you will learn that everybody cannot afford a Marshall or a Peavey. The question concerns Blackstar. Why do you say that they sucks ?

Honestly, did you tried them ? Sure, they're not as good as YOUR AMPS, but they're still very good. I played on a Marshall MG100FX and a Fender GDEC, and Blackstar ID Series are way better. And if the kid wants a Blackstar, why not ?
Seriously, it's more than defending my purchase. With this amp, I found what i was looking for. Versatile, easy to use, low price, nice sound. But keep on saying that it sucks. It will help a lot the guy who asked the question.
I had a Blackstar. I felt like I was lied to by Chappers, that fat ****. Blackstar is also sleazy as **** with their marketing.

Also, Peavey, especially used, are super cheap and have a cheap amp out there for most styles of music. Then there's Jet City. I want to get my hands on one of those sexy beasts.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by _tim*
I'm tired of you guys. You have 3435 Guitars and 98 tube amps, that's great. But you will learn that everybody cannot afford a Marshall or a Peavey. The question concerns Blackstar. Why do you say that they sucks ?

Honestly, did you tried them ? Sure, they're not as good as YOUR AMPS, but they're still very good. I played on a Marshall MG100FX and a Fender GDEC, and Blackstar ID Series are way better. And if the kid wants a Blackstar, why not ?

you can get a jet city (that's actually all-tube, and actually powerful enough to gig) for less than those blackstars. far less. the 2 channel 20 watt combo is just over £200 (when it's in stock) at thomann, and the blackstar ht5 combo is £350.

stop making strawman arguments.

Granted the id series is cheaper (depending on the model he's looking at, he didn't specify). but from the sounds of it he can stretch to the ht5 or he wouldn't be asking. if he can't stretch, then no worries. I certainly don't want people to get into financial difficulties, nor do i subscribe to the theory that you have to spend tons to get decent gear (nor do any of the other regulars, I think you're confusing us with TGP ).

But the blackstar apologists seem to act like they're just fine for the money, because to get anything better or without a side order of damned lies marketing spiel costs way more money. That's just not true. If anything the Blackstar stuff is actually fairly expensive once you consider it's hybrid (the HT series anyway).

Quote by lemurflames
I had a Blackstar. I felt like I was lied to by Chappers, that fat ****.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yes, there are many other options. But when someone asks about the Blackstar ID Series on this forum, immediately, the answers he gets is "They sucks". This is wrong. At least, for my bedroom use, they're actually good.

PS: You hate Chappers. Fair enough. But if you bought something just because he told it was good, you're not very clever, and it's not his fault ;-)
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by _tim*

That doesn't make it GREAT, that makes it better than a pile of crap. Big whoop.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Can't really argue with that, i hated both the Marshall and the Fender
If you can afford a Blackstar, you can afford a used Marshall DSL or a Used Peavey (6505+ 112, Vypyr 60, XXX 112, etc. etc.).

Any of them will CRUSH any Blackstar HT.

THAT is why we "hate" on Blackstar proponents. Your arguments are ridiculous because they are completely infactual.

And as Dave mentioned, if you can only go new: Jet City is there to take up the crushing.

There is nothing good about Blackstar, they are not cheaper than other amps and they are not better than other amps by a long shot. The outright lies in their marketing completely notwithstanding.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
^^ And the people you are arguing with have a higher bar which Blackstar also falls well below. For example, the Blackstar compared to my amps is like the MG compared to the Blackstar. It's all relative. Your point of reference is extremely low. Is it any wonder they don't agree with you?
Personally, I wouldn't give Blackstar the steam off my shit.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 6, 2014,
Quote by _tim*
PS: You hate Chappers. Fair enough. But if you bought something just because he told it was good, you're not very clever, and it's not his fault ;-)

You're forgetting the part where a lot of us were in your position. We've all played bad amps. You bought a bad amp and think it's great. Saying I'm not very clever doesn't really help out your position and your opinion of me...
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by _tim*
Yes, there are many other options. But when someone asks about the Blackstar ID Series on this forum, immediately, the answers he gets is "They sucks". This is wrong. At least, for my bedroom use, they're actually good.

I didn't say it sucked, you did. I just said it was mediocre which means it will work, but it is neither good nor bad.

I know people have serious budgets and I can respect that, that is why I specifically asked for a location and a budget.

I'm glad you like your amp, but in the world of amps it is not a good amps I just am trying to help TS find the best for his money. If he likes the Blackstar that is fine.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
that's not what i'm saying. I bought it because i loved playing on it. You bought it because a fat guy said; "It's cool". And i'm satisfied with what I bought, you're not.

Yeah, it's all relative, but when i see a thread about MG100FX, i don't write "it's bad". I write that i dont like it, and i explain why.
But the MG is bad. Under what metric could a MG100 be considered anything else? That it's better than a SS Behringer? Cat shit, dog shit, it's all shit.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I've had a Blackstar HT (I sent it back). I've had an MG. (I put a screwdriver through its speaker) I've had a Spider (I sorta gave it away).

The HT was better than both but incredibly underwhelming. Its cleans weren't great and neither was the crunch. It is just as Robb says. Mediocre.

You'll see the light someday.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by _tim*
that's not what i'm saying. I bought it because i loved playing on it. You bought it because a fat guy said; "It's cool". And i'm satisfied with what I bought, you're not.

Yeah, it's all relative, but when i see a thread about MG100FX, i don't write "it's bad". I write that i dont like it, and i explain why.

I don't think anyone here did that. I tried out amps that fit my style and it happened to be a Fender. But its nearly unanimous that a Deluxe Reverb is a great amp. The Blackstar may sound ok now, but you'll grow to see that the price cost too much and its disappointing.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
I say orange dark terror.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
First of all, those Blackstars are pure ****ing shite. Wow, it's better than an MG. Not much to accomplish there. All you have to do is put a speaker in a cardboard box along with a rabid dog and a feral cat. Not saying shit there. The MG is shit. The Blackstar is shit. Especially for the prices. Considering that in both of those price ranges NEW, you can get something used that will dominate both of those amps respectively, there is no excuse to go with either of them. Why the **** someone would give up quality for the same price as complete shit is beyond. But you go ahead.
Ibanez Art100 (DiMarzio Evo in bridge)
Epiphone Goldtop (SD Black Winters
6505+ Head
Avatar 2x12 (Eminence Gov/Swamp Thang)
I've tried a Blackstar HT Club 40 and thought it was okay. Pretty versatile and sounded nice at what it was able to do. A jack of all trades in a way. I nearly bought one but I'm a bit glad I didn't because if you look used (or even new) you can get some amps that are really good at what they do, rather than just being decent at everything across the board.

Yes you could gig with the Blackstar and yes it would be a good bedroom practice amp. You could do better though and you could do worse.
first, i don't care for blackstar. overpriced. under toned.

what have you played in your budget? i am not sure where everything is at where you are that, but Oranges' Dark Terror would be a much better option, or the jim root terror.

i have a dual terror and love it. they may be out of range for price (i haven't looked), but itst a hell of a solid compact amp.

or look into one of the 20 watt kranks. they are impressive little amps.

if you are going for metal, 6505+/JSX/XXX would be in a similar price range and there is no competition as far as that goes
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Take this from a guy who nearly bought an HT20 but quickly decided against it once hearing some different amps with the same general price tag: they're overpriced. They aren't bad amps really, they're just not good for the value. Most of the guys around here have mentioned the better alternatives. 6505+ 112, Jet City, etc.

A new HT5 head is the same price as a new H&K TubeMeister 5 head. I'd take the H&K over the HT5. The used market really opens things up though. Orange Dark Terror, H&K 18W version, Peavey Triple X (I've seen some JSX heads go fairly cheap too). Every now and then I'll see a used Mesa Boogie head around $500. You just have better options for the price.
This is the life we must choose.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm surprised that a big arm hasn't appeared out of the amp and slapped you across the face.
And that's the thing isn't it? New HT-5 or say, a used Dual Terror? It's a no brainer. The Dual Terror would eat it for breakfast and have room left for pie. Especially in the US. The stuff I see you guys pick up used amps for is incredible. I've seen guys pick big ol' silverface Fenders for the price of a HT5 at times.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
As has already been mentioned, the Blackstar amps arent bad per se but they are hideously overpriced. If the HT-5c was £180 it wouldnt be so bad.

Instead a new one costs £350. That is just crazy. The price to quality ratio is WAY off. THATS why they get so much hate (marketing BS aside). For the same money you can get some great second hand amps, many have already been mentioned (Dual Terror, JCM 2000 etc all of which have more power, sound better and even have more features)

People here arent being elitist snobs, they are trying to help you. Trying to prevent yuo from making the same mistakes they have in the past. Why would you buy a 5/10 amp when you can get a 8/10 amp for the same money? Why? No one is telling to go buy a Mesa MkV or a Dumble instead, we're recommending amps in the same price range that give you a tonne more bang for your buck

Can someone please write a reasoned and well thought out thread regarding Blackstar Amps that we can sticky on here entitled "Buying a Blackstar? Read This First" or something to that effect. Its getting boring seeing two or three of these threads a day...
Last edited by LivinJoke84 at Jul 7, 2014,
I know I can go on Reverb.com and find used Orange and Mesa amps for the same price as Blackstars (I looked).

When I was first shopping for an amp, I had a chance to buy a Blackstar for a practice amp. It sounded OK. But I spent more and bought a new Fender HRD instead because it sounded soooooo much better...and the Blackstars I looked at were not as good as the Vox or Peaveys I looked at, either. How is that relevant? Some of the used Oranges and Mesas I just found on Reverb are ones I'm considering as an upgrade from my Fender.

IOW, my P.O.V. is that Blackstars aren't bad, they're just not a good deal for the price you pay.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
There's an RM20 on Reverb.com for $550. That's HT-5 money more or less. Maybe if you found a used HT-5 you may be excused but otherwise, you'd just have to say, "**** off, idiot" wouldn't you?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by lemurflames

Holy shit.

If that's still up in 2 weeks (lol).

I just might.

EDIT: Here's another in Florida. Hot damn. http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-RANDALL-MT1000--ULTRA-ULTRA-LEAD-RECTO-MOD-S-063011-106629318-i2003961.gc

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jul 7, 2014,
Quote by Offworld92
Holy shit.

I just might.

EDIT: Here's another in Florida. Hot damn. http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-RANDALL-MT1000--ULTRA-ULTRA-LEAD-RECTO-MOD-S-063011-106629318-i2003961.gc

**** that's 30 minutes away from me.... If I hadn't just bought a guitar I'd be driving down there today no questions asked.

On topic,

I played a Blackstar 100 watt head through my texas heat 2x12 cab and it was not very impressive to me, the Marshall DSL 100 right next to it was better, but neither held a candle to my krank chadwick.
Last edited by JGM258 at Jul 7, 2014,
Quote by Offworld92
Holy shit.

I just might.

Wow, I could drive down there right now. The mods I want drive it up to $1000 though, and I'm fairly broke.

If OP is REALLY in love with the HT tone for some reason, do something like this. Get one of the HT pedals (dual, metal, dist-x, etc pick your favorite). I've seen them under $100 when I was looking into them on guitarcenter.com. There's no well-priced used ones up there right now, though. Then get a cheap tube amp with a nice clean channel. Bugera V55, Peavey Valveking, maybe the 2-channel Jet Cities? Not sure about that one on the clean channel. You can end up selling the pedal with little financial loss and still have a decent amp by your side. Plus, 5 watts of headroom sucks.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
^ Yeah that's a decent idea. As far as I'm aware, the HT pedals are more or less the same as the HT amp's preamp.

Quote by LivinJoke84
(a) As has already been mentioned, the Blackstar amps arent bad per se but they are hideously overpriced. If the HT-5c was £180 it wouldnt be so bad.

Instead a new one costs £350. That is just crazy. The price to quality ratio is WAY off. THATS why they get so much hate (marketing BS aside). For the same money you can get some great second hand amps, many have already been mentioned (Dual Terror, JCM 2000 etc all of which have more power, sound better and even have more features)

People here arent being elitist snobs, they are trying to help you. Trying to prevent yuo from making the same mistakes they have in the past. Why would you buy a 5/10 amp when you can get a 8/10 amp for the same money? Why? No one is telling to go buy a Mesa MkV or a Dumble instead, we're recommending amps in the same price range that give you a tonne more bang for your buck

(b) Can someone please write a reasoned and well thought out thread regarding Blackstar Amps that we can sticky on here entitled "Buying a Blackstar? Read This First" or something to that effect. Its getting boring seeing two or three of these threads a day...

(a) +1

Even £180 would be pushing it when you can get the 20 watt jet city single channel combo for ~£170, and the two channel 20 watt combo for a little over £200. I'd take those over the hybrid blackstar HT20 (caveat: on principle- I haven't tried the HT series), let alone the HT5, and the HT20 is a lot more money *again* than the HT5. The HT20 combo is £470. Now, for £400 on thomann you can get the jet city 50 watt head (all-tube, high gain) and harley benton g212 cabinet (plywood, vintage 30 speakers). If you ask me, that's also far better value.

Now, admittedly the jet cities are exceptional value in europe compared to almost everything else (as is that harley benton cabinet), and the offer may end tomorrow. But until it does, this stuff is readily available, and cheaper, than the Blackstar stuff, plus it actually is what it says it is. In my book that means it's "better". I also don't see how it's elitism if the stuff we recommend actually costs less.

Just for some balance, I was actually talking to an amp tech guy on another forum, and he took a scope to the HT5, and it turns out that the preamp valve in it actually is providing most of the distortion- the solid state stuff acts more like a clean boost, and the diodes only clip once the gain control goes above 3 o'clock (and even then it's not really audible, according to him). None of that makes it not a hybrid, of course, and I still disagree with their advertising etc., but I thought it was worth pointing out. I don't want to be accused of not being balanced.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/18108/what-is-it-about-distortion-pedals-that-makes-them-sound-not-as-good-as-amps/p3

Found the thread... the good stuff starts about halfway down (the person who posts the informatio is ICBM... and the person posting inane questions is, er, me ).

(b) I would but I don't want to get sued
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 7, 2014,
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ Yeah that's a decent idea. As far as I'm aware, the HT pedals are more or less the same as the HT amp's preamp.

(a) +1

Even £180 would be pushing it when you can get the 20 watt jet city single channel combo for ~£170, and the two channel 20 watt combo for a little over £200. I'd take those over the hybrid blackstar HT20 (caveat: on principle- I haven't tried the HT series), let alone the HT5, and the HT20 is a lot more money *again* than the HT5. The HT20 combo is £470. Now, for £400 on thomann you can get the jet city 50 watt head (all-tube, high gain) and harley benton g212 cabinet (plywood, vintage 30 speakers). If you ask me, that's also far better value.

Now, admittedly the jet cities are exceptional value in europe compared to almost everything else (as is that harley benton cabinet), and the offer may end tomorrow. But until it does, this stuff is readily available, and cheaper, than the Blackstar stuff, plus it actually is what it says it is. In my book that means it's "better". I also don't see how it's elitism if the stuff we recommend actually costs less.

Just for some balance, I was actually talking to an amp tech guy on another forum, and he took a scope to the HT5, and it turns out that the preamp valve in it actually is providing most of the distortion- the solid state stuff acts more like a clean boost, and the diodes only clip once the gain control goes above 3 o'clock (and even then it's not really audible, according to him). None of that makes it not a hybrid, of course, and I still disagree with their advertising etc., but I thought it was worth pointing out. I don't want to be accused of not being balanced.

(b) I would but I don't want to get sued

You sound like Fox News - fair and balanced.

To be fair, too, I kinda liked the Series One 200 that I had briefly. It actually had a broader range than the more expensive Orange Thunderverb 200; however, it didn't quite have the snarl and the low Mid grunt. I miss the Thunderverb since it can do bass in a pinch.
Page 1 of 2