I've just realized I want to start a band again, and we've been trying like hell to get a practice hall. There is a new place that will be ready in early october and we'll then be able to use it. So we'll start jamming in october.

So if everything works out (as I'm sure it will) we'll probably be ready to do gigs like 2 months later, in december that is. And I want our first gigs to be EPIC, like the ones I did with my last band (we had around 200 people at 2 of them and 100 at another. It was a blast. Those gigs were in May a few years ago.

The thing is that I don't know if it will be as good to start gigging in december. I mean those are times when people are more tired because it's very cold, dark and snowing in Sweden. The gig/gigs will probably not be as big, and I feel like I want the first impressions of the band to be epic.

What do you think about this? Is it smarter to wait until at least april, when the good weather starts to show and people are excited about life? It might sound a little silly but u know what I mean.

It just feels like it's a better time to start. So I'm looking for your opinions about this. What do you think?
Last edited by Cupatea at Jul 6, 2014,
You need to wait 4 months to practice, and expect 200 people at your first gig.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
You need to wait 4 months to practice, and expect 200 people at your first gig.

Sorry what
Quote by Cupatea
Sorry what

What he meant is: don't expect such a huge turnout at a gig if your band hasn't even had a single jam yet.

Start small, and start ASAP - if not in a practice hall then somewhere you can all go, even a friend's backyard. Don't expect more than 20 people or so at your first gig, it's probably not going to happen.

And as for waiting - gigs are the lifeblood of a band - have as many as you can
Quote by Cupatea
Sorry what

Yeah my statement came out a little awkward hey. I think you should try a bit harder finding places to jam and you should also lower your expectations for your first gig significantly.

If I joined a new band and they said "oh we aren't practicing for 4 months", I'd quit.
Soundcloud
A bandreally only has a few jobs. Making, writing, recorifng and performing m music.

It's a different from of art to painting and sculpture. You and your band are lucky in the sense that you get to show the same piece of art maybe 2 nights. Week. How many sculptures get the chance to make the same thing twice in one week in front of 2 dozen people who appreciate it
Practice acoustically now and learn some songs. Most bands should be ready to go in 2 months. Sept. is Harvest Festival and Oktoberfest time so good gigs as the last hurrah before the snows. Find a Pub that will let you practice there for free during their afternoon off hours. Do it now.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
If you think its going to be better waiting until spring then do that. Gives you time to get everything tight and possibly write better material, get good recordings done etc. I'm currently in a situation where i'l have been in a band (if i can claim that) for up to 18 months, hopefully no more than that, before we will end up gigging.
Been jamming constantly throughout all that time, writing new material and perfecting older tracks. There have been times when we have finished jamming and i think we could easily go out and do it live and put on a good show, but ultimately the longer we leave it the better it is going to be so we are happy to wait.
Unless your going to go mad on promoting your stuff and getting recordings out there before your first gig i wouldn't expect hundreds of people at your first one (unless you have a lot more music loving friends than i do). The numbers will grow if you are good though regardless of what time of year it is.
tldr - do what you feel is best
^^^ I do get what you're hinting at, but 18 months without a gig is overkill (and very boring).
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
^^^ I do get what you're hinting at, but 18 months without a gig is overkill (and very boring).

A few factors come into it.
Me and my brother played together in a previous band that was completely different from the one we're doing now and it's took us a while to be able to express ourselves (i hate that phrase) properly playing a different style.
I've never done vocals before, never mind playing guitar as well and that has taken me a long time to get used to. Had to dumb riffs down initially so i could sing as well. Just about mastered that now.
If you write lyrics then you probably don't look back at your first efforts with to much pride haha again that has taken time to develop as none of us has contributed lyrics to other bands before.
The bassist had never played an instrument before so he had to learn from scratch. He may also be leaving us soon depending on a job coming up a few hundred miles away.
Old songs are being constantly improved and new ones are being written quite regularly now and we feel they are improving all the time.
We want recordings up before we gig and have saved most of the money we need for the equipment.
Like i said, it does get to me sometimes that we're not gigging yet, but we are constantly doing new things and improving so i can handle it for now. Its not like we're just playing the same few tracks each time we're together.
Our first full song was written september last year, at worst we'll be gigging by march next year.
I expect this to get shot down, but this is my last shot at an idyllic life and i want to make sure that the first time we gig the songs are quality and our performances are flawless.
Fair play if you can be arsed reading that
Start now, go hard, and make the quality of your shows pro from the start.

Don't be in love with your own narcism (I made the same mistake before), in all probability no one will 'remember' the start of your band. They will, however, notice the momentum you build over time and that's what really matters.
Quote by Ugly Mule
A few factors come into it.

I understand your reasons, but if I was in that band I would quit and join some people who are ready to be in a band.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
I understand your reasons, but if I was in that band I would quit and join some people who are ready to be in a band.

100% understandable. We'd not been in a band for 2 years before starting this up anyway so it's not like we're directly missing being active. I'm lucky we're only a 3 piece and one of them is my brother haha.
I like the video on your profile. Nice tune
Last edited by Ugly Mule at Jul 11, 2014,
^^^ Hey thanks mate - put a lot of time into that band, it's going pretty well. Just as a benchmark, we played 50 gigs in our first year together.
Soundcloud