I'm trading my ES339 for an Epiphone Dot through a Guitar selling facebook group in my local area. The guys put some pictures up and I've got the serial number which states its a 2003 build from the same China factory my 339 was made at. I'm able to go and play it before trading (obviously) so what should I look for in the fake dot?

And do you think this is a good trade?

Cheers
Quote by greeny23
i shake the walls of my bedroom. with mah dick.
Quote by Eppicurt
Quote by NakedInTheRain
hey, be nice to the hipster.
I hear they use false bypass switches.

It's, like, so ironic.
You can't really tell by the serial# if it is a fake or not
need the pics to give better advice

If you've got the ES-339 PRO you might miss the better pickups when you trade it for a ten year older DOT.....

which factory is the Dot, which factory is the 339 made ?

Last edited by paruwi at Jul 6, 2014,
Yeah I was asking so I can inspect it myself when I head down there - what to look for.

They're both from the same China factory. The dot's serial begins with EE so.. EE = Gibson/Epi-owned QuingDao plant, China right?
Quote by greeny23
Quote by Eppicurt
Quote by NakedInTheRain

It's, like, so ironic.
Last edited by Volcz at Jul 6, 2014,
Quote by Volcz
Yeah I was asking so I can inspect it myself when I head down there - what to look for.

They're both from the same China factory. The dot's serial begins with EE so.. EE = Gibson/Epi-owned QuingDao plant, China right?

Yep, it is QingDao made,
but it was in the first year when production started......
they got a lot better in the following years....

what about the pickups ?
I actually thought otherwise, that the old dots were better than the newer ones?

I think either way I'll be changing to Gibson Classic 57's to Seymour Duncan 59's or something because I'm not even a huge fan of the Epiphone ProBuckers
Quote by greeny23
Quote by Eppicurt
Quote by NakedInTheRain

It's, like, so ironic.
Ya, Probuckers suck. But isn't the es339 the same as a Dot? I have the es339 Ultra, which says Dot on the stamp.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Dot's based on the ES-335. I'm trading mainly for the larger body in relation to it's tone
Quote by greeny23
Quote by Eppicurt
Quote by NakedInTheRain

It's, like, so ironic.
I googled it cause I'm a nerd, you're right. According to the internet, all Dots are 335 copies. But my 339 clearly says "Dot Ultra 339" on the stamp. Not to derail the thread, but do you or anyone know whats going on here?

Is there that much of a tonal difference between the 335 and 339? I recently bought the one I have just cause it felt great and played well, its my first venture into holy guitars besides the thinline tele I bought and had for a few weeks but exchanged for the 339 (no regrets!). What's the general tonal change?
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
The 339 is based off the 335, it's just meant to have a smaller body. So really they should sound quite similar. The new 339's like yours have ProBruckers installed which are Epiphones new pickups based on gibson burstbuckers I believe (correct me if I'm wrong)? Personally to me the 339 sounds like a 335 with a more Les Paul emphasis due to the smaller body - it's not a Les Paul but it has some tonal characteristics of one - I guess you could say it sounds like an aired Les Paul - just because of the smaller body.
The 335 Dot's larger body is a bit more resonant and sounds more "woody" and to me it's more "airy" which is what I'm looking for in my Jazz tone.

They're both great guitars though, I would keep the 339 if I had the money!
Quote by greeny23
Quote by Eppicurt
Quote by NakedInTheRain

It's, like, so ironic.