I am a beginner and I am going to buy an electric guitar, but my budget is pretty low. I am trying to choose between Epiphone SG Special, Epiphone Les Paul Special II and ESP LTD H-51 (my fav of the three). If anybody knows anything about any of these, please give me your feedback or suggest another electric guitar for the same price. I mainly listen to metal but any versatile guitar will do, I am a beginner after all.
Go with whichever feels the best in your hand if you can play them. If not, then go with whichever you think looks best.
Quote by josonmj
I am a beginner and I am going to buy an electric guitar, but my budget is pretty low. I am trying to choose between Epiphone SG Special, Epiphone Les Paul Special II and ESP LTD H-51 (my fav of the three). If anybody knows anything about any of these, please give me your feedback or suggest another electric guitar for the same price. I mainly listen to metal but any versatile guitar will do, I am a beginner after all.

Is that buying them new or used? If you are willing to go used you could get a much better instrument for the money. The low end epiphones have a reputation for being really bad, and having a bad guitar to learn with could make learning guitar a chore.

What kind of amp are you buying also? What is your budget? If we know all the details we can help you more.
The gear:

Carvin Bolt Classic
PRS SE Singlecut
Agile AL-1900
Peavey Vypyr 2
Do you have any friends/relatives/people who owe you a favor around that play and you can trust their opinion? Get them to check out any guitars first. If not, then all you can do is play them as best you can, and choose based on that.
I'd go for the ESP, even the cheapest one's hace a nicer feel than the Epis. Different shapes but same style, two humbuckers and a bolt-on neck, Sg is mahogany, dunno what's in the special and ESP is basswood which is a good wood for metal.

totally agree with the other comments, try them first if you can
Go for the LTD. Far nicer than the other guitars you're
looking at.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Thanks. I am in India, and there is a great deal of difference between our currencies, some guitars that are cheap there come costly here and vice versa. I have always dreamt of buying an electric guitar, so I am not going to get a used one, it should be MY baby.

Both the SG Special and the Les Paul Special are made of mahogany. Will be def playing the ESP and the SG before buying either, Les Paul is currently out of stock.

I think the electric blue version of the ESP LTD H-51 is one of the best-looking guitars I've seen. http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/article/article/moreImages?article_type=reviews&id=13142 Check out that first pic, love the contours. This has been my fav colour since I was a kid.
The ESP is a better guitar for that price range. There is nothing wrong with buying used. My main guitar is a used Lite Ash Strat I bought in 2008 still a great guitar. If the guitar was well taken care of a used guitar is a great thing. I have more experience buying guitars so i will leave it there.
For a beginner any of those would be fine... I started with an Epiphone Les Paul Special II (I still have it!). Play them all and see what works for you.
Does Rondo deliver to India? If so, check out the Agile AL2000. Agile makes damn fine guitars for the most part. Alnico pups, set neck, stunning quality for the price. Supposedly there are Agile lemons out there, but the ones I've played (I own an AL2000 Goldtop) have been just shockingly good for how much they go for new. The AL2000 has a beginner guitar price tag but a player's sound and quality. If Guitar Center sold Agiles, Epiphone would be run out of business.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by Zhaezzy
There is nothing wrong with buying used. My main guitar is a used Lite Ash Strat I bought in 2008 still a great guitar. If the guitar was well taken care of a used guitar is a great thing. I have more experience buying guitars so i will leave it there.

You're right. There is absolutely no difference between a well-used guitar and a brand new one, in terms of performance. But for me, it's all in the mind. Some people (like me) consider used objects someone else's property, and more importantly, consider something brand new their property, something that was made for them. This may sound absurd to you and many other people on this thread, but when I get an electric guitar it would be by far my most prized possession, and I need to know that I am the first person to have ever owned it. Anybody here relate with me?
Last edited by josonmj at Jul 8, 2014,
Go for the LTD. It's a nice entry-level guitar.

The Epiphone Special models are pretty bad. They feel like a toy and their sound is subpar.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman
Go for the LTD. It's a nice entry-level guitar.

The Epiphone Special models are pretty bad. They feel like a toy and their sound is subpar.

Got it, thanks. Will try the others out anyways.
Quote by josonmj
You're right. There is absolutely no difference between a well-used guitar and a brand new one, in terms of performance. But for me, it's all in the mind. Some people (like me) consider used objects someone else's property, and more importantly, consider something brand new their property, something that was made for them. This may sound absurd to you and many other people on this thread, but when I get an electric guitar it would be by far my most prized possession, and I need to know that I am the first person to have ever owned it. Anybody here relate with me?

I do. I don't necessarily look at it exactly the same way you do, but I generally prefer new stuff too (unless I were getting a massive saving by going used, and it were still pretty much mint). If you know you prefer new stuff, and know you won't be happy with used, it doesn't make much sense to go used, if you ask me.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by josonmj

So...an Epiphone Special 2 will be "by far" your "most prized possession"? I understand what your saying but you're gonna end up with an inferior "most prized possession" than what you could've gotten going used. And only cause you're scared of cooties or some other supernatural, premature link with a guitar. To each his own but I'm glad I dont have that quirk. And no offense but that's an outright silly quirk to have with your budget. Oh well, more good deals for me.

Did you check out Agile?
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Was very interested in Agile but none of the Indian stores seem to be supplying it, so kinda gave up on that. And no I am not scared of getting cooties, it's just the difference between getting a brand new car and a second-hand one or a store-bought tee vs a hang-me-down. You are more attached to something that is yours and has always been that way. You know how for some players a guitar is like a part of their body? Imagine a body part that was once somebody else's! What am I, a transplant patient? I know I am being very choosy for my budget, but I think an ESP LTD H-51 would be a great guitar and would prefer that over a slightly better used guitar for the same price. I realise how absurd that sounds. I felt stupid typing that, but that's what I believe
That's fair enough. As long as you realise that that's what you're doing (and bear in mind it might be a "fair bit better used guitar" versus a "fair bit worse new guitar"), it's your money and your call.

There's only one dealer in the world for agile (new), as far as i'm aware- rondo music in the USA. I haven't tried them, but they're really a much better deal for USA residents because of postage, customs etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?