Hi

So I would like to change the pickups in my Ibanez. Its body is poplar and the neck is maple. Right now it has the stock Ibanez Powersound pickups in H/S/H routing. I want to change them because although I don't find them complete crap, they lack character and sometimes sound a bit bland and muddy sometimes. I have read the big "Which Pups?" thread but I'm terrible at decisions.

For the bridge pickup, I generally don't use it without a heap of distortion. I play through a Marshall JCM2000 combo and sometimes use a Boss DS-1. So basically what I'm after is something that handles distortion well but also a more overdrivey sound too. Something that screams.

For the middle pickup (which is a single coil) I don't really have a preference. I use this pickup for when I want a really strat-esque sound (Like Hendrix). I want it to have good cleans but be able to handle more fuzzier tones.

And finally for the neck. I almost always use this when I play clean. I want it to have a more mellow sound with less treble and a lot of bass. I think a lower output would good as I have it pretty low and it sounds almost like a single coil with my current pickups. I play really bluesy stuff like B. B. King and also John Mayer. However I also sometimes whack some distortion on to get more warm muffled tones kinda like Slash. I think a PAF type thing would suit this.

So please give me any suggestions, for the moment my budget is whatever, just don't go to expensive. Thanks
Last edited by StaticBacon at Jul 8, 2014,
what country are you in? duncans and dimarzios are good value in the USA, for example, but less good value in europe.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
what country are you in? duncans and dimarzios are good value in the USA, for example, but less good value in europe.

Australia. I can order online though.
Lace Deathbucker/Aluma Single Coil/Aluma Humbucker would be nice. All are relatively low output and clear as a bell, but the Deathbucker handles distortion like nobody's business.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
Lace Deathbucker/Aluma Single Coil/Aluma Humbucker would be nice. All are relatively low output and clear as a bell, but the Deathbucker handles distortion like nobody's business.

I looked up these things and man they are crazy! I think I might get myself some.
Sounds like the Dimarzio Humbucker from Hell would be a good fit for your needs in the neck, for the bridge a lot depends on the kind of sound you want, The Super Distortion is a great all-rounder with a nice open sound and has quite a classic sound, but you may prefer something a little tighter and vocal for your leads like one of the Satriani models, something with a bit more thickness and low-end oomph like the Breed, or a less middy, more modern sound like the D-Sonic or Steve's special.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by StaticBacon
Australia. I can order online though.

ah ok

I think most guitar stuff is pretty dear there

are there any homegrown pickup makers? they might be better value than the big USA guys.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
ah ok

I think most guitar stuff is pretty dear there

are there any homegrown pickup makers? they might be better value than the big USA guys.

Hell yeah it is

Most guitars are literally double the price of what they are in the US or UK. Its because of all the shipping. I don't know about any australian pickup makers but i'll have a look. There is a shop near me that sells pickups (emgs,duncans,dimarzio, etc) but they are pretty pricey.
Well there are some pickups made here but they are either only slightly less or more money than the mainstream pickups.
To be honest pickups are expensive anywhere in the world, they're rarely a particularly cost-effective upgrade when you compare the impact on your sound you get from buying a pedal.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I agree. I think you will get better results with a guitar preamp/equalizer, keep the existing pickups.
Quote by StaticBacon
Hell yeah it is

Most guitars are literally double the price of what they are in the US or UK. Its because of all the shipping. I don't know about any australian pickup makers but i'll have a look. There is a shop near me that sells pickups (emgs,duncans,dimarzio, etc) but they are pretty pricey.

yeah we get ripped compared to the USA, and you guys get ripped even compared to us

Quote by steven seagull
To be honest pickups are expensive anywhere in the world, they're rarely a particularly cost-effective upgrade when you compare the impact on your sound you get from buying a pedal.

true- though some pickups are better value than others, depending on where you are, and if you already have good gear, sometimes a pickup upgrade (or even a swap to something which is more suitable) can make all the difference.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?