Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, Recently i tried to listen to new guitarists. I heard a lot of good comments about "Rising Force" by Yngwie Malmsteen. But when i listened to this album, i found this soo boring.... To me, it sounds empty, there is nothing but fast licks, I just can't understand this thing.

So my question is: Am I the only one ? I mean, I don't really like shred, my guitar heroes are Gary Moore, Matthias Jabs and Mark Knopfler. But what do you feel when you listen to Malmsteen ? Maybe my approach of his work is wrong, but this album was really painful to listen....
LOL I bet you think classical music is boring noise for grannies and Boccherini plagiarized Mozart, and that kind of stuff.

I wonder if someone ever critiziced Pagannini for being "too technical"
Yep. I really appreciate Mozart, Beethoven, Vivaldi, Ravel, JS Bach, Ives, and guitar from Django, Charlie Christian, Carlos Montoya, Paco De Lucia and others. Malmsteen makes me want to change the channel. I am sure he appeals to some but to my ears he is simply performing sterile technical pyrotechnics with little or no theme or melody. Not my cup-o-tea.

I don't care for Frederic Chopin for much the same reason. Different strokes for different folks.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis
Gary Moore played all kind of stuff during his career, but I dont like his jazz fusion and shred period. But let me know, what are the songs by Malmsteen you consider as Good ?
Quote by blackone666
I wonder if someone ever critiziced Pagannini for being "too technical"

Paganini knew what restraint was. Malmsteen doesn't.

Also, Malmsteen is a massive asshole, who thinks anyone who can't play as well or better than him is a failure.
Yeah, i know he's an asshole. Neogeofanatic made a video where he explains how to play a lick in the style of Malmsteen, and the video has been taken down. Stupid.
In terms of tone, technique and vibrato there weren't many players at the time who could get near the guy---He also wrote some beautiful stuff---Icarus Dream Suite springs to mind. Douche or not, derivative or not, the guy was (and still is) an incredible musican.
Thank God im an atheist
Quote by wil
Douche or not, derivative or not, the guy was (and still is) an incredible technician.

There, I fixed it for ya.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis
I actually liked this one. Still not my style, but definately better than "Far Beyond The sun" or all the others songs I listened to
Quote by Cajundaddy
There, I fixed it for ya.

Hilarious----seriously, I can understand people not liking Yngwie's music, but he seems to get so much bad press for his personality. Miles Davis was a dick, Al Di Meola can be a complete **** at times, Eddie Van Halen, Clapton's bizarre 'racist' rants, Jeff Beck talking about money nearly all the time, the list goes on and on.

Paul Gilbert and Guthrie have both spoken at some length about how much they love his playing and surely when you've reached their level of technique it becomes about something more---like I said, LISTEN to the music, the touch, tone, vibrato and attack-there aren't many more expressive guitarists out there than Yngwie. By his early 20s he was already being called the greatest guitarist ever.

He's also a fantastic improviser.
Thank God im an atheist
Does Yngwie Malmsteen sound like Iron Maiden or does Iron Maiden sound like Yngwie Malmsteen?. I tried listen to "Rising Force" and immediately thought "Aces High"
Quote by wil
Hilarious----seriously, I can understand people not liking Yngwie's music, but he seems to get so much bad press for his personality. Miles Davis was a dick

lost it
Lost what? Seriously, the guy was a complete dick with an ego double the size of Malmsteen's.
Thank God im an atheist
I find his music boring. I appreciate the skill he has, though. I just rarely find shred to be appealing, when it is done purely for the sake of shredding. I find it far more tasteful when the artist focuses more on more dynamic songwriting and occasionally throws in a face-melter, but that's just me.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
I have to be in the mood for him. I freaking love his vibrato and Bends though. As a musician he is undoubtedly talented and very bad ass at his instrument. Though I feel like when he finishes his phrases he kinda rushes the end of them if you know what I mean. Kinda comes of pompous but whatever, he worked very hard for his skills and deserves to flaunt them. The neoclassical thing is really cool.
I love watching people bash a musician because of their ego. It's hilarious, because it's basically a cry out of inferiority from the person doing the bashing.

The reality of it is, when you become as proficient(and you'd have to be an idiot to not acknowledge that he is) with your instrument as people like Malmsteen, you have the right to be an egotistical ass if you want to be. You've worked hard to be that knowledgeable and capable with something. Obviously not everyone who achieves this level of skill is an arrogant prick, but that doesn't change the fact that they've earned that right.

That being said, in whether you find him boring or not boils down to taste. 9 times out of 10, the people that like his music are also people that are striving to be as good as he is with the instrument and seek inspiration and learning material to draw from, whereas most of the people that dislike his music are people that don't even play the guitar. I say most because obviously there are exceptions.

Quote by deadsmileyface
yes, he may be the worst guitarist of all time

That may be the dumbest thing I've read in a while.
Quote by Resiliance
I'm more of a hermafrodite guy.

Quote by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Original creator of the Resi Signal(s)
Only old shred forum regs get it

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
Yes. I haven't hear a whole lot of songs by him, but I couldn't tell you the differences between the ones that I did. They were all just a bunch of emotionless shred.
I notice the people who bash Malmsteen arent listing who THEY think is great. Trust me, any musician can be bashed

Most of you are too young to remember the early 90s when u could go days and not hear a guitar solo on the radio. Malmsteen pretty much carried the flag by himself for those years

Dude is a supreme musician, acknowledged and copied by his peers. Does he have some filler songs? absolutely. Now, name someone else with a 30 year career who doesnt have some less than brilliant songs
To me his albums have been boring from Alchemy onwards. As such, I can't be bothered with anything after Facing The Animal.
Quote by GuitarFan995
And here it is, the emotionless shred argument. I lost the count of how many times I bumped into this since I got into guitar playing. Whether something has emotion into it or not, it's completely subjective, first of all, and then there's the fact that some people just assume that speed and emotion cannot coexist. It's either speed or feeling, never both. Have you ever listened to classical music. Lots and lots of technical stuff, but can you say it's emotionless? Why is having and showcasing good technique considered a good thing for every instrument except for guitar? I for one think it's a matter of musical background. The less-is-more approach, for instance, is typical of blues, whereas being a virtuoso was the goal of many classical musicians (think Paganini, Vivaldi, Liszt etc). Malmsteen obviously has a classical background, where technical skill was highly valued.

I love this argument. Mostly because it's spot on. I've never heard anyone refer to classical music as "emotionless", even though it can be just as(or even more) fast/complex as any guitar shredding out there. Paganini is a great example because a lot of the compositions he wrote were considered nearly impossible to play.

And when it really comes down to it, is "shredding" not a modern-day version of what these classical composers would have been doing?
Quote by Resiliance
I'm more of a hermafrodite guy.

Quote by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Original creator of the Resi Signal(s)
Only old shred forum regs get it

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
I watched some vids the other day of this malsteem fella after hearing a lot about him. I was highly disappointed tbh. What I saw was a slow backing tracking with Yngwie knocking out lick after lick. Was very very boring and not the sort of guitarist id aspire to be. If its guitar skills I wanna see/hear being showcased I much prefer someone like Tosin Abasi.
Quote by _tim*
Yeah, i know he's an asshole. Neogeofanatic made a video where he explains how to play a lick in the style of Malmsteen, and the video has been taken down. Stupid.

Even if he is an asshole, what does it mean? He plays very very good!!!!
Many people say that some great and very fast guitar players (Malmsteen, Batio, Herman Li, Karl Logan etc) have not emotion bla bla bla...... I think that they judge those guitarists beacause they have not the guts to practice and become better day after day! You can be jealous haters, but you will always be the false ones!
@UltimateSin: Exactly!!!!
Last edited by Lead_Guitar89 at Jul 29, 2014,
Let's face it. He does one thing and does it really well. I am an Yngwie fan, he's not my favorite, but listening to him is pretty fun and he has awesome tone. I couldn't listen to only Yngwie but every now and then he's awesome
"Yngwie, who, to me, demonstrates that it is possible to have all these chops and play these outrageous fast things but still sound like you mean it. This may not be a popular viewpoint, but when I listen to Yngwie playing, there’s as much sincerity as there is when B.B. King is playing. He plays every note like it could be his last.” -Guthrie Govan

There's way too much Yngwie hate around. I don't like all of his albums, but I see him as one of the most passionate guitar players ever. He's a genius and his style is completely unique.
He sure don't know how to make good backing tracks. His drum and bass are so bad sounding always, I can't stand it.
I don't understand what Yngwie is trying to accomplish apart from "see how fast I can play". But I guess that, that might be my own taste. At least with shredders like Vai, Petrucci and Satriani I can hear decent licks, the shredding blending in nice with interesting chord progressions etc.

Yngwie was the worst to ever play on G3.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
don't like him, for many reasons. He is to guitars as Lars Ulrich is to drums

the most important thing is that he misses so many notes/hits so many dead notes. He plays sloppily with little attention to the finer details, it's bad to miss so many notes and at the same time play in a virtuoso style. I could list many more reasons but I'll leave it at that.
Last edited by farcry at Aug 23, 2014,
Are we talking about him alone, or his music?

I think his band efforts were great. I'm not a huge fan of his first mainly instrumental album but I do like the albums that have followed that such as Trilogy, Marching Out, Eclipse etc... I think those were good albums because they had some mainstream appeal and the music was pretty good. It was hard rock/power metal with some classic influence for flavour. It wasn't all mindless shred, it had feeling. Those albums had great rhythms and melodies.

I'm not a huge fan of his music now. Not a fan of the whole 'neo classical' thing when it's leaning towards being more classical than rock/metal. It's the Yngwie show now. His touring 'band' is confined to a small part of the stage while Yngwie has most of the stage.

Just my 2 pence/cents
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin Velocity
Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt
AMT WH1 Japanese Girl Wah
Marshall BB-2 Boost/OD
Joyo JF-07 Classic Flanger
Joyo JF-37 Analog Chorus
Malmsteen is a Guitar God!!! Face it guys! The people who dislike him as a guitarist are worthless and weak possers!!!!
Quote by TheUltimateSin
I love this argument. Mostly because it's spot on. I've never heard anyone refer to classical music as "emotionless", even though it can be just as(or even more) fast/complex as any guitar shredding out there. Paganini is a great example because a lot of the compositions he wrote were considered nearly impossible to play.

And when it really comes down to it, is "shredding" not a modern-day version of what these classical composers would have been doing?

That is EXACTLY what shredding is. And that's exactly why I just stop debating it once someone brings in the "emotionless shred" argument. I just go, "oh, okay. You just don't understand. That's cool. Enjoy what you enjoy. No biggie".

On the subject of Yngwie, specifically, I've never been a huge fan. I appreciate what I've heard, and he definitely has a solid handful of amazing tracks, but he's never quite gripped me like some other shredders.
Last edited by the_bi99man at Aug 29, 2014,
Yngwie Malmsteen's playing does absolutely nothing to me emotionally.
Quote by TheUltimateSin

Depends on the "shredder" and which classical music you are talking about. Beethoven has sooooo much more feeling in his music than any "shredder" I've ever heard, because he understood there is a lot more to music than just cramming in as many notes as possible.

On the other hand you could compare a lot of Baroque era composers to modern "shredders". Chopin, Scarlatti, etc

The funny thing is there are moments in some Malmsteen songs with slower playing (like the intro to Black Star), and those parts of his songs are usually the best parts. Once he goes full on wankery it gets really boring.

I don't think any reasonably person would argue Malmsteen isn't amazingly talented technically, but there is so much more to music than that. I'd much rather listen to some less technically proficient players who can actually write music. The Beatles probably had farts more musical than anything Malmsteen has done.
Page 1 of 2