I'd like to record myself just to critique my playing, but I tried going from my Vypyr's USB port to my laptop and found that there is a lot of lag that makes it unplayable. If I could record and still hear the amp, that would be fine, but it shuts off the amp speaker when recording. Is there a way around this? Or do I just need something like this? http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-M-Track-2-Channel-Portable-Interface/dp/B00BQ6KSN6/ref=pd_cp_MI_1

And if I do, what is the point of the amp having the USB port...?
1st thing: Go to the Recordings forum & read the stickies.

2nd: Don't quote me on this for that particular model, but a lot of USB ports on modelling kit is just for downloading & backing up patches, not necessarily for recording.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Reading the manual might be a good start:

Quote by Peavey Vypyr VIP 1 Operating Manual
USB RECORD OUT

The VYPYR USB Record out requires no additional drivers—just plug a standard USB 2.0 cable into your computer and it will detect it as an audio device. Open your favorite recording program and start recording.
Don’t worry, the output is microphone/cabinet simulated and will sound great right in your computer.

NOTE: The speaker is intentionally muted when USB output is in use although the headphone output is active for real time monitoring. The USB port can also be used to download firmware updates and to connect to a computer to use the Vypyr Edit Graphic User Interface. MIDI works over the USB as well.

So, it's probably a good idea to use the headphone output for real-time monitoring, as Peavey suggests.

Other than that, the only thing that might be of help is installing ASIO drivers (despite the fact that Peavey states that it requires no additional drivers).
ASIO drivers are low-latency drivers, but I don't know if they're compatible with the Vypyr.

Also, as Gary pointed out, this question belongs in the Recordings subforum.

*Reported for move*
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
That doesn't do me a whole lot of good when I'm trying to listen to a slowed down version of a song through my recording program and I'm stuck listening to headphones hooked to the amp. Hence why I asked the question.

Also, did not get a response in Recording so I tried here.
Last edited by Skeld1 at Jul 6, 2014,
Quote by Skeld1
That doesn't do me a whole lot of good when I'm trying to listen to a slowed down version of a song through my recording program and I'm stuck listening to headphones hooked to the amp. Hence why I asked the question.

Also, did not get a response in Recording so I tried here.

well unless you get an interface and mic your limited to how you can hear the amp.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Skeld1

You said, and I quote:

Quote by Skeld1
"If I could record and still hear the amp, that would be fine (...)"

Hence, the solution I posted from the manual -- record with headphones to hear the amp, and mute the computer.
Then, take the headphones off, unmute the computer and listen to the recording to critique your playing.
There, problem solved. You're welcome.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman
You said, and I quote:

Hence, the solution I posted from the manual -- record with headphones to hear the amp, and mute the computer.
Then, take the headphones off, unmute the computer and listen to the recording to critique your playing.
There, problem solved. You're welcome.

Would not work because I'm playing a slowed down version of a song from the computer to follow along with. It's ok, starting to figure this out more after reading stickies. Thanks for your help.