Hi all,

New guitarist here (sort of), and I'm dipping my toes into the world of sheet music after reading tabs for about seven years.

Just a quick question regarding said form of notation...

When reading on the treble clef, I can recognise what note I need to play, but how then do I decide which string to play said note on?

Probably a very, very stupid question... But hey ho, that's how we learn.

Thanks in advance,

TheMankymoo
I'm not a very avid guitarist myself but most guitar parts can be played in first position (that's one finger per fret starting on the 1st fret). Of course you can play the note anywhere you want, but for the purpose of sightreading you can almost always play it in first position (with the exception of 8va/15ma notated notes).

Like I said I'm not very proficient on guitar and I'm sure there's more to it, but you can get 3 octaves out of first position alone which should cover you. Is there any piece in particular you need help with?
Generally I look for the closest instance of the note, then you can get more picky about which string/octave to use, or which finger/hand position is most comfortable or fluid or whatever.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Quote by imspazzen
I'm not a very avid guitarist myself but most guitar parts can be played in first position (that's one finger per fret starting on the 1st fret). Of course you can play the note anywhere you want, but for the purpose of sightreading you can almost always play it in first position (with the exception of 8va/15ma notated notes).

Like I said I'm not very proficient on guitar and I'm sure there's more to it, but you can get 3 octaves out of first position alone which should cover you. Is there any piece in particular you need help with?

Ahhhh, of course. Thanks for clearing that up for me!

No song in particular for now, but I might just take you up on that offer sometime, haha.

Thanks all,

TheMankymoo
It depends on what kind of sheet music you're reading. Classical sheet music usually gives the exact string and fingering used for each note to play the piece properly (and usually the most conveniently). Jazz lead sheets usually just give the notes with no finger and string distinction, so you can play the note on whichever string you prefer, so long as you know your fretboard.
My Last.FM page. Add me!

Quote by severed-metal
I frequent so many big dick forums it's ridiculous

PSN name: sixty5days
Quote by kirkisking
It depends on what kind of sheet music you're reading. Classical sheet music usually gives the exact string and fingering used for each note to play the piece properly (and usually the most conveniently). Jazz lead sheets usually just give the notes with no finger and string distinction, so you can play the note on whichever string you prefer, so long as you know your fretboard.

Interesting. I suppose it's best that I don't rely on google images as my source for sheets then, haha
Think "Law of Minimum Motion" (used in much musical pedagogy)!

Spend enough time with each section of the song to answer the question, "What position do I need to play this in so that I change position as few times as possible.

Alternatively, if you want to look like a fretboard master and travel up and down the neck, ask the question "How can I move around enough that this looks cool, but doesn't get me lost.

Another option, pick the position that gives you the desired string timbre--some songs sound better on the higher, thinner strings, some give the better sound and feel in the midrange, some in the bass.

Blessings
Last edited by GregMarcus1961 at Jul 28, 2014,