Hey everybody!
Since I've listened to Chemistry of Consciousness for the first time I've always wondered how Joel Grind achieves this fuzzy yet kind of beefy guitar tone.
Does anyone have an Idea on how to achieve a tone similar to the one from CoC?
(Please don't ask for my equipment - it's pretty shitty atm )

Here's an example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmFPYwL3DUY
Last edited by Asylum727 at Jul 6, 2014,
i'm guessing a high gain tube amp with a bridge humbucker. it's fairly fizzy-sounding, though- could be speakers (celestion g12t75s?), the amp/how it's dialled in or maybe he's not even using tubes. But i'm guessing he is.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
That's a much more sensible idea than listening to my (probably wrong) ramblings
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last time I saw them live (2 weeks ago) Joel was grinding through a Marshall JCM800 (I guess its the one on the site Zaphod posted) so Im certain its the one used on the album too.
It's not one of those Metallica-like chugga chugga tones , so Im pretty sure you cant get a tone like this with EMGs
Quote by Asylum727
Last time I saw them live (2 weeks ago) Joel was grinding through a Marshall JCM800 (I guess its the one on the site Zaphod posted) so Im certain its the one used on the album too.
It's not one of those Metallica-like chugga chugga tones , so Im pretty sure you cant get a tone like this with EMGs

While I'm sure it's possible, the list indicates JB/'59 combos across the board so that's obviously the ideal
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I thought EMGs make your guitar tone thinner cause theyre optimised for chugging or something like this (Just played on one or two occasions with EMG's (I don't like 'em) so I have no real idea about this ) (Yeah, I know this has nothing to do with the original topic )
Last edited by Asylum727 at Jul 7, 2014,
Dunno about that. The 81 is probably on the brighter side of things, but they have a variety of pickups.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?