Short and sweet, I've been wanting to get a Fuzz Face for a long time. Wanted to jump on the Mini Fuzz Faces, but nobody got them in stock before the next semester. It's summer, and I'm home instead of at college, so I want to pick one up before I go back. I intend to try them out, but the more info I can get the better. Can I get an explanation on A. how the three variants differ tonally and in terms of use, and B. why the price is different?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-84
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-1
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 32-15
i haven't tried the mini ones but I think the general feeling is that germanium is slightly warmer/smoother/less aggressive/lower gain while silicon is slightly harsher/higher gain/less smooth.

the prices are the same on thomann. i dunno where you are, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I haven't tried the mini Jimi Hendrix Fuzz Face, but I have played the other two.

The Red Germanium is more overdrivey. Feeding it into a cranked amp or a distortion channel sounds best, and I found it to work better with single coil pickups.

The Blue Silicon one is more fuzzy, and is less picky about amp and pickups. I personally prefer the Blue one.

Germanium transistors are generally more expensive than silicon, and I think it requires more work to match them properly.
I tried both the Jimi mini and germanium mini. I find the Jimi fuzz more fuzzy too, and the germanium is smoother and fatter. The germanium fuzz face really react quickly to your volume control. Like at 9 it smoothen up and 8 you barely hear the fuzz., while the FFM3 cleans up less quickly (if that makes any sense).

I ended up with the germanium fuzz face, just because I like my fuzz well... a little less fuzzy. I had a hard time deciding between the 69' fulltone and this one though.
Last edited by Taz9 at Jul 8, 2014,