Sooner or later at least within 1 1/2 months I am going to buy an Applause by Ovation (AE148-5)

There is a picture and here is a link to what it sounds like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp0uhP1umzk

I don't like the colors and the way it has a leafy look around the sound holes(although you can't really see it) so I was thinking of painting it .-. I don't know the magical ways of spray paint so I was curious about using acrylic because it's what I have at the moment and I only have enough money for the guitar and I don't want to go buying all these art materials I will probably only be using once. So opinions? I don't know much about guitars yet (I've been playing for 10 months, so not that long)

I do have a guitar that I did paint with acrylic. Some parts have come off (due to scraping, scratching or just rubbing it from anything really) I just needed to seal it in with like a gloss or something.

So please, help, anyone, por favor.
Attachments:
00C0C_4P7Or5OEJh8_600x450.jpg
If you just want to seal it, something like Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil, or a similar finish works OK

For cheap paint, I would use automotive spray can self-catalysing poly, it sets harder and quicker than acrylic. I just did a rough refinish with it on my Burny in flat black. It looks OK because the matte hides the blems, but it scuffs very easily. For a serious job I would buy Stewmac spray can nitro if I lived in the US.
Thanks for the info but the thing is, I really don't know how to use sprays and I don't wanna do a crappy job. That's why I asked if acrylic paint was okay because I can do it by hand.
Quote by remxdox
Thanks for the info but the thing is, I really don't know how to use sprays and I don't wanna do a crappy job. That's why I asked if acrylic paint was okay because I can do it by hand.

If you try hand painting it, you are almost certain to leave brush marks that will look ugly. You might be able to cut and polish it back, but I've never tried that with acrylic.

If you give it a go and it looks bad, you can always cut it back and give it a light overspray with a matching spray can. One problem with acrylic is that it takes a long time to dry, and maybe never goes really hard.
Spray paint is a lot better for laying down nice flat coats without any brush marks, and it's not very hard to apply. There are endless spray painting tutorials on the internet ranging from the most basic to very advanced applications, and it's cheap enough that you can practice on some spare wood to get the technique down. As someone who's in the process of refinishing a second guitar with rattle cans, I highly recommend against using acrylic paint if you want it to look good and to last - or at least to buy a guitar that you think looks better.
Alrighty, thanks guys. I'm repainting my beginner Peavey guitar with acrylic and then sanding it down to be smooth (i'm painting on thicker layers) and then I'm gonna use some walmart clear coat. It's a walmart guitar that I'm gonna use walmart material one lol XD But I will try that with the new guitar that I'm going to buy