Is arts something you are born with or something you can teach yourself?

Hey guys,

I would love to be able to draw and paint but whenever I do it looks like a 3 year old drew a bunny haha.

So is arts something that you are born with or can a newbie be able to paint something like the mona lisa?
JUST ANOTHER ANNOYING BIG STATUS
ill tell you if you remove your annoying signature.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Takes practice. I'd advise you look into The Joy Of Painting with Bob Ross. Watch a bunch of episodes on YouTube, it's like being just nicely buzzed.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
I think yes and no.

Think of it like playing sports. I understand enough about football to be able to play it, but it just doesn't come naturally. Anyone can train to run a marathon but few can run it at record speeds.
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
no, you dont learn how to do things. its something youre born with. van gogh was born a master artist, so was rembrandt and everyone else.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
You can learn most things but there's something to be said about natural talent. You can learn how to "do art," but that doesn't mean you'll be any good at it.
no such thing as natural talent
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by Burgery
no such thing as natural talent

lel?

tell that to the composers composing their first symphonies at the age of 6 or something.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
lel?

tell that to the composers composing their first symphonies at the age of 6 or something.

That's unnatural talent.

'Tis witchcraft, I tell 'ee!
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
lel?

nutcases

they werent born with musical talent, they were born derpy
Quote by korinaflyingv
The reason I cannot write a good novel is because I have never written a novel

The reason I can write a decent song is because I have written thousands of shitty songs

etc

etc
Last edited by MapOfYourHead at Jul 6, 2014,
Inherent ability can matter, but work & effort & practice matter far more.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Definitely born with it. You can get better but you either have it or you don't. Lucky for me I could always draw good so it makes me a good living
You can be born with better muscular structure(No idea if that's the right term) to make the movements required and a better brain to comprehend the way that music works, which makes it come easier to you. But none of that means a damn if you don't work your ass off, it doesn't mean a damn if you don't have the smarts and theory knowledge to actually understand why X note works with Y chord.

It's like how you see so many athletes that are amazing in college or the minor leagues, but then get to the big-time world, and they burn out because they've always just coasted along on their absurd talent level, so they're not used to working for anything, and they don't understand any of it because it all just came naturally to them from their ability, so they were able to get away with a lesser understanding of the game.

Natural talent you're born with exists and makes it better. It doesn't guarantee a damn thing if you don't work your ass off with it, because if you don't work your ass off, it becomes a crutch.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Jul 6, 2014,
btw thx to the internet and computers you don't need talent or skill to make cool things
You can teach it to yourself. Though, the drive to actually work to do so aren't entirely in our control, but rather adopted from the environments we were raised in as well as genetic predispositions to adopt those feelings*.

In my eyes anyway.

* - Mind you, just because you are predisposed to have certain traits, it doesn't mean that you will adopt them.
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
Last edited by Mister A.J. at Jul 6, 2014,
Arts for the most part are able to be learned by anyone with enough dedication. The way we are is just a factor, not a cause.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
http://thesecretstodrawing.com

If you buy this and actually work your way through it over time and study it and draw all the time, you will become very good technically. Your original compositions may or may not be enjoyable or unique or whatever, but in terms of learning to draw anyone can learn it to the point where they can draw something very accurately and realistically.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
lel?

That's a common myth about Mozart. It's likely his father wrote them and then attributed it to his son to build up his reputation. Obviously he was extremely talented, but that came only after being made to practice something like 8 hours a day from the age of three.
I would love to be able to draw and paint but whenever I do it looks like a 3 year old drew a bunny haha.

'the arts' includes music as well as drawing.

Regardless, art is like most other things. Some people are naturally talented at something, some people practice and get really good over time...some people will just suck at it no matter what they do.

I'm naturally quite good at most 'artistic' things. I picked up the guitar pretty quickly and was great at 'drawing' from an early age.
I was never great with 'academic' things like English and Maths and was usually in the bottom of my class because I just "didn't get it", but I've been able to learn and get better at these things over time with hard work.
I suck at languages and no matter how hard I've tried to learn a language (other than my native language), it just doesn't stick in my mind.

Though, being artsy doesn't just mean being able to paint something to a good standard. Some people could draw something fantastic they've seen on a day out, or play a really technical song by some band they like...but their actual 'creativity' could suck and always fail to create something by themselves.
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.
Quote by ibrahimasood
Hey guys,

So is arts something that you are born with or can a newbie be able to paint something like the mona lisa?

I came here to compare signatures.

Mine's better.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
yes and no
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Let's say 100% mastery represents the best painter of all time (however you would measure that), I reckon anyone with normal intelligence can get to about 95% mastery.
The last 5% is the creativity or intelligence which makes the true masters stand apart from the crowd.
Anyone can learn all the technicalities of an art (and yes, probably re-create the mona lisa) if they're average but really engaged, it's more about what you can do with it and how you can express original ideas, and if you start at a really young age you think about it differently than people who start later, and some people are just plain different from the start.
Quote by MapOfYourHead
The reason I cannot write a good novel is because I have never written a novel

The reason I can write a decent song is because I have written thousands of shitty songs

etc

etc

This.
You have to be patient with yourself. I always tell people, if you want to be good at playing music, then the secret is to play music.

A quote from good old tarantino (and i paraphrase): If you truly have the passion in your heart to make a good movie (or any art for that matter), and really try, something good will end up happening. It's inevitable if you keep trying.

Unless you just totally suck.

Lol cheers man
Quote by captainsnazz

interesting

when I was in grade 3 we had a test where the music teacher would play one note on a piano and then another in succession and we had to write down whether the pitch was higher or lower. I got 49 out of 50 right and the next highest mark in the class was 27 out of 50. Music teacher encouraged me to start playing an instrument and I picked bass caus he explained the difference between it and guitar, said it was lower, and i thought that was cooler. Ended up learning guitar, drums and keyboards and then eventually production and programming as well.

Our school offered gifted program for kids with exceptionally high IQ's, which I got accepted into but it was full and had a waiting list but I ended up getting snuck into the gifted music class and the teacher taught me a lot about theory and even taught me on his on time outside of school and let me take instruments from the school whenever I want, even over summers.

I attribute a lot to having some sort of natural ability for music and the urge to be creative. My dad's a professional artist and his brother a poet so I think there is something in the DNA. Unlike my dad I'm exceptionally good at math which I think helps me comprehend rhythms and musical pattens but even he can pick up a guitar without any knowledge of the instrument or chords and figure out how to play a song by ear in a matter of minutes.

So i think from experience yeah, there's something genetic that we can't quite explain through science yet. Practice is never gonna hurt, and the combination of the two leads to the greatest artists in the world. While practice on its own leads to guitar wankers, and natural creative nature leads to the kurt cobains and the like
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Last edited by Wiegenlied at Jul 7, 2014,
I do believe that there is a definite intrinsic quality that helps someone excel at any particular subject in life, including art. Some people are better at math, some better at drawing, some better at sports and reaction time, etc.

So no matter what I think that it is impossible to rule out that part of it does come from development, whether it be genetic or some form of environmental factor that helps shape a kid when they are young.

However, that does not stop anyone from doing something to the best of their ability. Just because someone does not have a natural tendency to do one particular thing, I don't think that limits them from being as good as someone else at it who does. It just means that they will have to put in a ton more effort and really make an effort to do it. It'll take hours of practice each day or something like that to really perfect the skill and make it feel natural, but it can be done.

So just draw anything that you think you should be able to. Start by replicating drawings or following tutorials and get down the basics and see how the pencil needs to move to make the shapes you envision in your mind and then you can slowly start to branch out into working on some more of your own stuff easier.
Having good tastes counts for more than either. You could be a virtuoso who's played for 10000 hours but it won't count for shit if all you write are chugging metal riffs.
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
It's practice man.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Quote by ibrahimasood
Hey guys,

I taught myself.

I wouldn't consider myself as a 'natural ability' artist, but I've always had an interest in art. I read in a book somewhere that the old masters used to take on apprentices who they would then teach painting techniques to, what each different type of brush is used for, how to use them and also how to correctly load them with paint to get the desired result, then they would have them repeatedly painting the same things, over and over again until they started getting results. It's kinda similar to the way a child is often taught to write though the repetitive formation of letters.

Like anything, the more you do it, the better you get at doing it.

So I sought out information on brushes and techniques and discovered Bob Ross, who's great for learning the basics from. Then once I had the basics I expanded upon them by seeking out more advanced instructions in books and online videos and also by looking closely at well known paintings and attempting to re-create the effects in them using the techniques I'd learned.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Jul 7, 2014,