So I'm wondering whether or not I'm shooting myself in the foot by playing along with tab pro as opposed to the more strict way of using a metronome. I have been playing electric for a little less than a year using strictly tab pro. Previously I played acoustic for several years out of MelBays books (grade 1 & 2).

What I'm really asking:
Is a metronome the only way to get a true sense of timing when playing music, or is a program (tab pro) capable of getting me to the point of having a great sense of timing?

As of now, I'm pretty much incapable of using a metronome. It's not that I can't play the instrument well, I just can't with a metronome.

Do you have any recommendations for short exercises for one having a difficult time with the metronome?

Thanks guys!
i don't think a metronome is absolutely essential- if you're playing alongside anything which is keeping constant time that's going to have a similar effect. i've hardly ever used a metronome, and i think (citation needed ) my timing is not too bad.

that being said, if you can't play alongside a metronome, that might be slightly concerning. As I said, I don't use a metronome but I can play alongside one just fine.

I can't give any tips about metronome use, though (as I said, I don't use one ). Hopefully someone else can help with that.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You need to be able to stay in time with the drums basically. A metronome just clicks on the beats that the drums would otherwise be playing. A simple exercise is just to start with quarter notes (one note on each metronome click) then eight notes (one on each click and one halfway in between). Try playing a rhythm part with a really simple, straightforward 4/4 feel and think of the metronome as the drums going boom-chick-boom-chick.
Quote by gtc83
You need to be able to stay in time with the drums basically. A metronome just clicks on the beats that the drums would otherwise be playing. A simple exercise is just to start with quarter notes (one note on each metronome click) then eight notes (one on each click and one halfway in between). Try playing a rhythm part with a really simple, straightforward 4/4 feel and think of the metronome as the drums going boom-chick-boom-chick.

Well those types of exercises (whole/half/quarter/eigth/etc) are easy with a metronome, but I'm talking about riffs and runs where there is a combination of triplets, sixteenth notes, quarter notes on the offbeat all in one song/solo is a big problem for me.
Practicing to a metronome is the true test of whether you have a good grasp of time. You don't always have to do it, but you should definitely practice with it sometimes.
Quote by JGM258
Well those types of exercises (whole/half/quarter/eigth/etc) are easy with a metronome, but I'm talking about riffs and runs where there is a combination of triplets, sixteenth notes, quarter notes on the offbeat all in one song/solo is a big problem for me.

Some people like to count those out with the old one-e-and-a two-e-and-a etc, that gives you the subdivisions of the beat. Of course you'd have to start really slow. Otherwise just start with simple 4/4 stuff and gradually move on to the more complex stuff, a little bit at a time.

If you can really get a feel for where the main beats fall within a rhythm part or solo, then all the other stuff in between tends to fall into place - eventually.