I have a quick question for you guys. I realize that it's probably preference, but is there any benefit to pre-fretting notes as opposed to not doing it? Here's an example if some of you don't know what I'm talking about.

E|--------------5--4--3--2--5--6--7--8--
B|--1--2--3--4--------------------------
G|--------------------------------------
D|--------------------------------------
A|--------------------------------------
E|--------------------------------------

In this example, my fingers would lift off the board when they aren't fretting a note. So for a simple 1-2-3-4 run my fingers would move up and down.

However, I've noticed many players also keep their fingers on the fretboard when doing runs. Instead of lifting each finger off the fretboard after a note is played, they just keep them all on the fretboard. I have to admit that this is probably more efficient, but it feels more natural for me to lift each finger up after playing. So anyways, how do you guys play? And which do you prefer?
My classical guitar teacher taught me to lift each fretting finger after playing the note, if that helps. I'm guessing it's so that you can practice moving that finger to the next fret or wherever it's needed next.
Quote by wheelz1045
I have a quick question for you guys. I realize that it's probably preference, but is there any benefit to pre-fretting notes as opposed to not doing it? Here's an example if some of you don't know what I'm talking about.

E|--------------5--4--3--2--5--6--7--8--
B|--1--2--3--4--------------------------
G|--------------------------------------
D|--------------------------------------
A|--------------------------------------
E|--------------------------------------

In this example, my fingers would lift off the board when they aren't fretting a note. So for a simple 1-2-3-4 run my fingers would move up and down.

However, I've noticed many players also keep their fingers on the fretboard when doing runs. Instead of lifting each finger off the fretboard after a note is played, they just keep them all on the fretboard. I have to admit that this is probably more efficient, but it feels more natural for me to lift each finger up after playing. So anyways, how do you guys play? And which do you prefer?

The ideal is actually neither to keep your fingers down or lift them but the third option:

Stop fretting.

Which is really not the same as lifting your fingers; lifting your fingers takes muscle effort, same as keeping them on the fretboard. When I say stop fretting I really do mean exactly that: just relax the muscles that you are using to cause your fingers to fret.

That's the ideal... but holy shit is it ever hard. It's something you practice a lot at the slowest possible speed and it filters in to your playing extremely slowly.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I'll usually keep my index finger down because more often than not I'll be playing that note again, but the rest come away from the string after their note is done.
I have my hand in the next position but I don't apply string pressure.