Poll: putting aside times when i'm joking around, would you consider me an earnest person?
Poll Options
View poll results: putting aside times when i'm joking around, would you consider me an earnest person?
yes
28 68%
no
13 32%
Voters: 41.
Page 1 of 2
putting aside times when i'm joking around, would you consider me an earnest person?

if you don't know what this word means i suggest looking it up and then reading the play in the title. it is a staple of english literature, you won't be disappointed.

edit: here, this definition is what i'm looking for:

earnest ear·nest [ur-nist]
adjective
2. showing depth and sincerity of feeling: earnest words; an earnest entreaty.

a poll is incoming. if you vote in the poll (it will be public so i will know) and then post your opinion in this thread, i will respond with a sincere appraisal of you, leaning on the positive side. if you would not like me to comment on you, please indicate so in your post.

please vote and give your response before reading the thread. i will explain my reasons for polling you all later. this is not a trick, just a personal thing.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Last edited by Eastwinn at Jul 7, 2014,
Quote by Ssargentslayer
I dont know what earnest means

It means sincere, almost with a sense of urgency
Edit: I just finished reading OP and realise now that you may have been joking. I feel foolish now

I like that film

On topic though, yeah, I think you're earnest. From your serious posts, it all sounds very real and sincere I guess. I don't know, I just find it hard to not find people earnest when they're being serious.

And you are more than welcome to measure my earnestness if you so wish

Edit part 2: and maybe it's cause you're serious posts tend to be more personal anyway, that I find them more emotionally driven, and because they're more personal, they are more sincere. And I think part of it might be because I feel I can sometimes relate on a very small level, but I can always see where you're coming from as well if that makes sense.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Last edited by Baby Joel at Jul 7, 2014,
I've honestly never heard anyone say the word earnest in my life

But maybe its because I'm canadian and we all act that way naturally so we dont have the need to describe specific people as such
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Not really.

But nobody around here really is save for a 2 or 3 people.
Check out my band Disturbed
Babby Joel: you are a delightful regular of the chat thread. you are a valuable source of both good conversation and good humor. you are capable of light-heated banter and serious consoling and provide either as appropriate without fail. one of my favorite members of this site.

guitarxo: you brighten my day. i won't bother to say more because you've heard it all extensively.

stewieswan: you are a constant pain in the ass in debates (except for when we agree, of course). that aside, i appreciate your eccentricity and i admire your dedication to your niche interests. you're also pretty funny sometimes.

godsmack_iv: you approach debates in both a serious and tongue-in-cheek manner that i appreciate, alternating jokes with serious arguments. i note your knowledge of programming and socioeconomics and add that you are also hilarious.
I don't even know you man. How the hell am I supposed to know if you're an earnest person. We communicate with each other though an online persona. Meet and greet, and then I can maybe determine such a broad question.

Now if you're talking about this guy.

please do more movies.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by Eastwinn
Babby Joel: you are a delightful regular of the chat thread. you are a valuable source of both good conversation and good humor. you are capable of light-heated banter and serious consoling and provide either as appropriate without fail. one of my favorite members of this site.

My main mans right here everyone
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by Eastwinn

godsmack_iv: you approach debates in both a serious and tongue-in-cheek manner that i appreciate, alternating jokes with serious arguments. i note your knowledge of programming and socioeconomics and add that you are also hilarious.

:') i feel so validated
this is too weird. i was just thinking about that book/play earlier. favorite thing i ever read in high school.
#DTWD
Quote by Godsmack_IV
:') i feel so validated

so earnest
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Most definitely, I think you're a pretty sincere dude, when I go through my more extreme episodes it's nice to know that there's someone out there that understands
bawitaba a bang a bang diggy diggy diggy sed the boogie sed up jump the boogie
deadsmileyface: you're my little bud, you really don't need anymore validation, but i will say that you can certainly carry conversation well so you're great to chat with.

nelshizzle: although you abstained from voting and cannot receive appraisal under these circumstances, i will note that your non answer is respectable.

rylanthepotato: on the forums you come off as fairly laid back and just in it for a few laughs, nothing intense. but on your twitter you show your true dedication to humorous shitposting at a rate and quality i aspire to meet. possibly the most valuable account on my feed.
I voted yes. I think it can be difficult to tell just based on internet posts. I know that when online, I am a very watered down version of my real self.

In any case, your contributions to serious (and especially personal) discussions display sincerity and firmly established convictions without coming off as too 'in your face'.
that's the best compliment about my Internet presence I have ever received #TwoOfHearts #TwoHeartsThatBeatAsOne
bawitaba a bang a bang diggy diggy diggy sed the boogie sed up jump the boogie
Yeah, I do think you're earnest. I honestly don't understand why you're so self-depricating sometimes, since you're a smart nugget and stuff.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Yeah, I do think you're earnest. I honestly don't understand why you're so self-depricating sometimes, since you're a smart nugget and stuff.

Agreed.

I voted yes because I've certainly seen you being ernest here... or at least interpreted what you were saying as being ernest, but it's not always easy to tell on an internet forum.
I know too little of you to claim that you are, hence I will consider you not to be.
I also don't know enough of you to have anything useful to say about this.
However, from a few posts I've read from you while lurking around, I've decided that you probably are indeed an earnest person.

Also, I first read it as 'ear nest', and I figured it was a new word to describe someone who's being a twat.

"Get off my lawn, you ear nest!"
Last edited by ultimate-slash at Jul 7, 2014,
You're not earnest, you're ean!
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
I don't know you man, but the bros in mumu say you're cool.

also i didnt know what earnest means

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Yea, I've always found your posts to be sincere and generally enjoy seeing your input on whatever the topic is because I know its going to be a good level-headed response. I also like how when there is a disagreement you hold to firmly to your position, but without being a dick about it.
You're on the (correct) side of people who're suspiscious about gender so that's always a good thing.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
slipknot5678: i don't think we've actually ever interacted despite both being regulars for ages. you've become a chill, humble, and unassuming guy in that time and i wish you'd post more!

ali.guitarkid7 & SlackerBabbath: expressing my own self-doubts humanizes me and keeps my ego in check.

ali.guitarkid7: you're sincerely caring to complete strangers on the internet. this quality makes you approachable and easy to chat with. your sporadic appearances on this forum are a shame but i speak for many when i say that we miss you terribly when you're gone and celebrate you when you are here. i'm happy to know you've found stability in your environment and can continue to chat us up here.

ExplorerJay_13 & Vanhalaf: neither of you know me and i don't recognize either of you, yet in absence of information you put opposite answers. this is interesting. sorry i don't have anything better to say!

SlackerBabbath: i admire how you can speak with authority and confidence on subjects you know well. i also admire your balls of steel for putting your paintings up on this forum. although most of the posts you make are serious, you chat it up quite well and appear to carry no grudges from debates. this is extremely respectable and i wish i could claim the same about myself.

ultimate-slash: i recognize you as a new regular (new to me anyhow) but i don't have anything to say, really. we don't cross paths often enough, is all.

captainsnazz: you're extremely knowledgeable yet too humble to let it show unless someone pries at you. your commitment to sniping users with hashtags and "jesus wept" is often hilarious though you can be just as hilarious merely talking in the chat thread. you come off as extremely laid back but some more personal posts you make round out your online personality so that i feel i really know you. i cannot approve of your hair.

The4thHorsemen: we go way back to MT and our shared coming-of-age there is a bond that, while not intense, cannot be broken. as such i prefer you, somewhat unfairly, despite our little interaction these days. i'll also shoot "level-headed" back at you and add that you pick your battles wisely.

steve_muse: our only significant interaction so far has been in the threads related to feminism in which i've always been in agreement. your presence is highly appreciated.
Your more serious posts appear to be so and since that's all I have to base my appraisal on I'd go with yes, subject to revision based on future data.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
willT08: when i first became a regular i hated you with a passion. i never would have thought we'd end up buds. you're absolutely hilarious. do you really need anymore validation from me? IS MY LOVE NOT ENOUGH

Arby911: you are one of my worst enemies in debates but i gotta say you're a really nice guy outside of debates and it's hard to hold any grudge. i do enjoy a serious discussion every once in a while but the real fun is in mocking one another and i guess that's what friends are.
Quote by Eastwinn
The4thHorsemen: we go way back to MT and our shared coming-of-age there is a bond that, while not intense, cannot be broken. as such i prefer you, somewhat unfairly, despite our little interaction these days. i'll also shoot "level-headed" back at you and add that you pick your battles wisely.

Yea, I don't post a lot any more even though I still browse a fair bit. Most of the time I just can't think of anything constructive to say and don't care to make stupid remarks that don't add anything to the conversation.. I learned the picking battles thing the hard way back in the pre-2010 days. Now I know that many times it's best to just bite your tongue (or fingers would be more appropriate) and watch other users trade blows

I don't know about you but there are definitely times when I have trouble being level headed and spend ages editing my post because I notice that it's very inflammatory and know that if I continue down that road it'll just cause the other user to be even more of a dick.
when i feel myself becoming obnoxious i quit being serious and start throwing shit for fun. if i can't keep a level head it usually means i'm not really in the best mood to be debating but i'm always in the mood to make fun of people. so i can't claim to truly level-headed, just self-aware.
at the time i made a variety of posts about imperialism manifesting in american international policy. i didn't quite express it well though and you and todd hart just mocked me for being like a noam chomsky-lite or something, i don't know. you two preyed on due and me. it was like a circlejerk but with opposing sides.

really hilarious looking back though
Page 1 of 2