After spending some time around Youtube and in the sticky thread regarding this subject, I still don't know which picking hand (sometimes a bit discriminatory referred to as 'right hand' ) muting technique I should go for.

Some people say it should be done with the thumb, others say it should be done with the back of the hand, and others say these techniques should be alternated. Then the thumb should be used when picking the higher strings, and the back of the hand should be used for the lower ones.

So far I've used the back of my hand. It worked kind of well, but I still have some problems using it when muting during high string bends. Either I tend to mute the top of the bends, or I have my palm too far up and I get all sorts of string noise. Therefore using the back of the thumb could make a lot of sense as it seems a lot easier to control such mute.

So what do you guys say? Is this mainly a question of personal preferences? I want to get this right from the beginning.
Last edited by SirSixString at Jul 7, 2014,
Then the thumb should be used when picking the higher strings, and the back of the hand should be used for the lower ones

Yes, that's basically the way I do it and it works. Still, it is a matter of personal preference. You should just try and see.
Gear:

Ibanez S420 > Boss TU-3 > Crybaby > Ibanez TS9 > Marshall Shredmaster > EHX Big Muff Pi > TC Alter Ego X4 > Peavey VK 112
Zaphod_Beeblebr: He does it with the thumb rather than with the back of the hand.

I tried muting with a thumb at the higher strings yesterday and it was way better. It is off course easier to control the thumb than the whole clumsy back of the hand. My bends end stuff at the high strings are already more controlled. This muting technique must be the way to go.

However at the bottom strings it was a little hard to get the correct angle of the hand when muting with the thumb I think, perhaps it's the way I'm holding my guitar.
Try having the lower area of your palm from the thumb around to your wrist damping at sort of an angel to the strings.

Or sometimes I rest my hand on the bridge and damp the strings with the flesh of my palm at the base of my thumb.

Or if you choke up on the pick it almost forces you into a damping position.