Hey Guys,

Need a bit of help. My 2006 LP, stock, is sounding too muddy (especially in the neck, lesser extent bridge) - has been for awhile I just couldnt be arsed doing something about it. I play a lot of classic type rock and these days I dont use an amp - all through my computer - but I still had a similar issue when I still used amps.

I was planning on replacing the caps and putting 0.022 (I just guessed that it has 0.047's). Anyway, I opened up the back to take a look and I see that I have 0.022.

I thought whilst the guitar was at the techs I would also get him to put in new CTS 500K pots as well (I guess 2 audio taper for volume and 2 linear taper for tone ?)

So, if I already have 0.022 in there is there any point in replacing them ? Or is it worth trying a 0.015 or 0.01 ? Or do I bite the bullet and start researching new pickups ?
Last edited by Tiger17 at Jul 7, 2014,
Tone caps only affect the sound when the tone is rolled down. New caps won't cure a muddy or bright tone.

The guitar already has 500k pots so replacing them with the same value will do nothing. You can try replacing them with 1M pots and see if that helps. Otherwise it may be time to look for some new pickups.
What amp sims are you using and what are the EQ and gain settings?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Pickups that aren't close enough to the pickups will sound muddy. Have you adjusted the pickup height for the best tone?
Some things that have caused mud for me:

Covered pickups.

Too-hot pickups.

Warm amp/amp settings

Pickups too close to the strings.

I would try Jim's suggestions of 1M pots or new pickups. I have a very dark-sounding guitar, and the fix I ended up with was bright pickups (SD SH-2) and a series/single/parallel switch.
Thanks for the replies guys.

Didnt know that Gibson use 500k pots - thought I read somewhere that they used 250k along with 0.047 caps - so at least changing the caps may not be huge impact i was hoping for if I already have 0.022 in there.

Currently using Amplitude3 -BUT will be ditching that shortly for SGear.

Haven't thought about pickup height - worth a shot. I might just go new pickups cause the one I have can be not only muddy but also squealey at times.
Quote by Tiger17
Thanks for the replies guys.

Didnt know that Gibson use 500k pots - thought I read somewhere that they used 250k along with 0.047 caps - so at least changing the caps may not be huge impact i was hoping for if I already have 0.022 in there.

Currently using Amplitude3 -BUT will be ditching that shortly for SGear.

Haven't thought about pickup height - worth a shot. I might just go new pickups cause the one I have can be not only muddy but also squealey at times.

Most gibsons actually use/used 300k pots look at them and it will say 300k or 500k stamped on the back
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^That.

Also, it could very well be the pickups themselves.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I doubt there is anything wrong with the guitar. A stock LP sounds great. Lousy cords? Amp/interface problems? Dead speakers? These are all more likely.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
How old are the strings? Extremely old strings won't give the clarity of a new set.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Quote by megano28
How old are the strings? Extremely old strings won't give the clarity of a new set.

No issue is still there with new strings.

I think what I might do is take the guitar to my local store and discuss my concerns and options. Least I know that there may be cheaper options to look at other than new pickups (ie decent cable, pickup height, magnet swap, etc)
Quote by Tiger17
No issue is still there with new strings.

I think what I might do is take the guitar to my local store and discuss my concerns and options. Least I know that there may be cheaper options to look at other than new pickups (ie decent cable, pickup height, magnet swap, etc)

Yep, compare it to other LPs and let one of the in-house guitarists play it and see what they think. I suspect we are missing something here.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I replaced the stock neck pup in my LP Studio with a SD 59 and it cleaned up really, really nice.
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.