Page 1 of 2
Inspired by a thread in musician talk.

At what point did you realise music just isn't your primary calling? (including people who still produce music but have no delusions of future success etc)

For me the first time was when I started my 3rd year placement at a music tech research lab. I realised that being a scientist was so much cooler than being a musician and I might actually be able to do something concretely beneficial.

Second time was after I got into music a little bit again and then discovered I'm a rudeboi sound designer, so any urges I have to create sound are mostly channelled into that now.

how about u

this is me actually making a legit thread so hmu
When I first got into guitar lessons and suddenly it became a chore... It would suck to have music be a chore all the time, which is what would happen if my livelihood depended on it
When I realized that I was perfectly content with not getting any better at being a musician, and that doing it just to satisfy me when I'm bored or entertaining is enough.

I still want to be a multi instrumentalist, but I don't care that it won't ever get me anywhere
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
when i realized sound is more important than music

i'll probably continue to make 'music' alongside wherever else my education takes me but really the process of sitting down and 'writing a song' doesn't appeal to me whatsoever. I'd love to do the sound design-y bits for other producers tho, that'd be sweet.
After working in a studio for a couple of months and realizing that everyone in the music business is a narcissistic asshole.
Always? I never really thought about it. to me, music is (mostly) something to dance to
cat
Quote by TheChaz
After working in a studio for a couple of months and realizing that everyone in the music business is a narcissistic asshole.

After hearing this hundreds of times. I still play and am going to try to get a job in a different branch of music, piano tuning.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
I started off with classical piano. I was quite happy at first but when I started reading music I found that I didn't quite enjoy. I would rather learn the tunes by heart and compose stuff and my teacher always hated that.

It's partly why I took a liking to the guitar later because of the huge DIY potential.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
No, I judge people based on how similar they are to me.
The greater the similarity, the more of a total ****ing **** they are.

Metal is like an apple. Everything is good except for the core
Quote by shawnkenneth
I started off with classical piano. I was quite happy at first but when I started reading music I found that I didn't quite enjoy. I would rather learn the tunes by heart and compose stuff and my teacher always hated that.

It's partly why I took a liking to the guitar later because of the huge DIY potential.

You should have changed teachers, It's what I did. My old piano teacher was far too pedantic and had kids that either excelled or were abysmal. I was towards abysmal but changed teachers and instantly became better and enjoyed playing more.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

btw if you don't wanna be a musician because of the industry do it anyway because it'll be torn down when the revolution happens
Quote by Pastafarian96
You should have changed teachers, It's what I did. My old piano teacher was far too pedantic and had kids that either excelled or were abysmal. I was towards abysmal but changed teachers and instantly became better and enjoyed playing more.

Unfortunately I was barely 8 or 9 years old. Had it been later in life I would probably have changed teachers soon.

I'm actually intrigued about starting classes again. But..Engineering College
Quote by slapsymcdougal

After my first year of uni cos they're all snobs and I much preferred English lit anyway
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Quote by shawnkenneth
Unfortunately I was barely 8 or 9 years old. Had it been later in life I would probably have changed teachers soon.

I'm actually intrigued about starting classes again. But..Engineering College

Start again afterwards, my teacher knows about 3-4 people who've done that sort of thing.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

Quote by Pastafarian96
Start again afterwards, my teacher knows about 3-4 people who've done that sort of thing.

I just might.
Quote by slapsymcdougal

I still want to be a musician. I won't pretend I'm not deluded either; though not in the same way I was when I was fourteen. Right now I'm average at best (lol bedroom musician; worse, bedroom real instrument musician), but I know that if I spend enough time honing my craft (which I have started working on lately), I know I can get some of my really good ideas out there. My only motive is knowing that I'm capable of producing a great body of work. Ask me again in two years when I'm exceptional at what I do (and I know I will be ).

I'm going to pursue more than just music though (I would hope so lol) in other fields I'm just as interested in. I'm not realistically planning on 'getting anywhere', though I measure success by comparing my work to my work.
After realizing that I value a stable lifestyle, family and friends over doing the one thing I'm good at for a living.

And i don't want my creative life to be hinged on my financial security.

This is after studying music at school for 3 years.

Now I'm basically doing what snazz does but even then I'm having doubts. Might switch fields [as far as making a living is concerned] after I graduate.
Quote by willT08
btw if you don't wanna be a musician because of the industry do it anyway because it'll be torn down when the revolution happens

#RevolutionIsComing #RimDon'tRIM
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
first year of uni doing a my 'backup' business degree.

had got meh marks in my music tech a level, lost contact with all my bandmates and hadn't touched my guitar since the summer. whole thing felt like a huge chore and the only joy I ever got out of it was performing. performing my own stuff was a no-go as creating music gave me a headache due to perfectionism. The main reason why my music tech grade was meh was because I kept being indecisive about all my own work despite helping out everyone else making their work decent.

I figured my only options were to either go into the production side or I could play as a session/backing musician. From chatting to people who worked in the industry, I'd have a hard time finding a production job due to everyone trying to get into media work, and even if I did beat off the competition I'd spend ages in shitty pay working my way up.

as for being a musician-for-hire, it'd require a whole bunch of practice to have the necessary versatility and ability. In the past practicing was always helped along by me having bandmates to keep going for.

also, not really having a stable income source was very unappealing.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
I know for a fact that music is my primary calling. However it is also quite clear that I could never make any sort of living with it so I never had an existential crisis about what I wanted to do with my life. I work with telecommunications during the day because it's relatively easy and pays the bills, but at 5pm I pick up the guitar and work with the band.

I'd drop my job in a heartbeat for a career in music but I accept that the odds of that happening are absurd.
I never wanted to be a musician. I only ever took up guitar as a hobby (I suck at it anyway and rarely, if ever play now ). I mean sure, it'd be pretty great being a musician, but I never had any ambitions of being one on a professional level.
About 2 years ago. I'm more interested in the academic side of music than being a musician for a living.
PM me for newts
when i realised that i pick up a guitar to 'escape' and be in my own little world where i'm in control and stuff like that, i don't want to do it on cue or play a show or something when my head's not in it. i decided that pretty early on. i do it for me, my benefit and my happiness.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Quote by captainsnazz
it's already happening

burn down babylon

so i put mathematics on the back burner for music and was reassured by near everyone that "music is math lol" and all that garbage. i eventually discovered that that common expression is maybe the stupidest thing i've ever heard and went back to number theory because that's where the cool stuff is.

edit: i'd still jam in emo band for sure but i wouldn't call that my true calling
i don't know why i feel so dry
I started as a drummer then one day accidentally sat on my ****ing drumstick and it went up my ass until it bled, so I quit drums and took up guitar but when I smashed by guitar at the end of a set I fell and the headstock of the guitar rammed up my ****ing ass again, so I tried vocals and don't even ****ing remember how that mic stand landed halfway up my ass on stage...so I just quit music and now I play videogames a lot.
i write/record/mix songs at a rate of approximately 0.4 songs a year
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by Barricade_28
I started as a drummer then one day accidentally sat on my ****ing drumstick and it went up my ass until it bled, so I quit drums and took up guitar but when I smashed by guitar at the end of a set I fell and the headstock of the guitar rammed up my ****ing ass again, so I tried vocals and don't even ****ing remember how that mic stand landed halfway up my ass on stage...so I just quit music and now I play videogames a lot.

do you like flight sims? it sounds like the inevitable is gonna happen again so you might as well buy a real joystick and make it count
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
I started playing guitar pretty late on in my life, when I was 16. I never got involved in any bands, it was always more of a hobby for me. By the time I got really into it by the age of 18 I had been accepted onto my Masters degree in Chemistry course so it was fairly pointless to pursue it any further into a career.

Plus I am just a bang average guitarist and have no real flair for music, songwriting or any talent whatsoever.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
It was always just a hobby for me. I never had any real intention of being a professional musician. It's a good thing too, considering how stagnant my playing is these days.

^Edit: Pretty much what Rapture said, except my Masters was Engineering...
Last edited by Confuse-a-Cat at Jul 7, 2014,
I still harbor secret illusions that I might 'make it' someday, even with the myriad of things that make that a virtual impossibility.

If I could replace my income by playing full-time I would.

But it ain't never gonna happen...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Because life taught me to stop dreaming.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by Eastwinn
so i put mathematics on the back burner for music and was reassured by near everyone that "music is math lol" and all that garbage. i eventually discovered that that common expression is maybe the stupidest thing i've ever heard and went back to number theory because that's where the cool stuff is.

this is more or less identical to me but replace number theory with signal processing & machine learning
"music is math" lol do people say that

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Because life taught me to stop dreaming.

“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I suppose I had daydreams of rock and roll stardom, but I always knew they were just dreams. I never looked at it as a way of making money in the real world. There were thousands of guys way better than me that never rose above the bar band scene and I guess I'm quite a realist when it comes to that stuff. I love practicing and I had a lot of fun with my buddies in the band, but it never even crossed my mind to quit my day job.
I'm content with the minute and small accomplishments I've made, I'll try to get more of those, but I'm on hiatus after sobering up.

I haven't stopped dreaming of fame and hope I'll continue to get better.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
"music is math" lol do people say that

yes, constantly.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Page 1 of 2