Hey Guys !

I just got my Gibson Sg Standart wich i bought used. My only problem is that the guy i got it from put an very low output humbucker wich doesn't fit my style at all n it. I'm looking for a punk/hardcore like Sound and already took a look at the SD Sh 4/5/6, but i can't decide.

Any Idea?

Cheers

Tim
do you want a sharper/edgier tone or a warmer one?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well it definitely needs more punch. But I think the SG is a pretty trebly guitar, so the new PU shouldn't push that even more. I'm looking for something like Rise Against, Four Year Strong, Pennywise maybe even Green Day or Fall Out Boy. You get the idea
Maybe a HB in the bridge and a HB-sized P90 in the neck?

Look at RailHammer (esp. the HyperVintage, Chisel and Gnarly90), Tesla's OPUS or VRs, Bareknuckles, Rio Grande, Lace and Golden Age.

Depending on your budget, you can get very affordable custom wounds from Vintage Vibe.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Tim Eat World
Well it definitely needs more punch. But I think the SG is a pretty trebly guitar, so the new PU shouldn't push that even more. I'm looking for something like Rise Against, Four Year Strong, Pennywise maybe even Green Day or Fall Out Boy. You get the idea

is more punch warmer or edgier? I'm guessing punch is in the mids.

my sg is pretty dark (i think), but that doesn't necessarily mean yours is.

early(ish) green day is a jb, but in a superstrat. i haven't tried a jb in an sg, it might work or it might be too middy.

i'm not terribly familiar with the others (at least, the gear they use).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

early(ish) green day is a jb, but in a superstrat. i haven't tried a jb in an sg, it might work or it might be too middy.

JB in basswood or thin mahogany fixes the ice-picky highs, IMO. Not sure about mids since I love mids.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
Nothing wrong with the Classic 57 combo. Those are in my SG and I've gotten some nice Sex Pistols and Dead Kennedys tones out of it. I haven't tried Fallout Boy though...
Quote by Dave_Mc

I have a SH4 in my G-400 and it is a very middy sound indeed
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^ Thanks. Yeah that'd be my concern- a JB is pretty middy even in guitars where it's still pretty bright. Remove those highs and you're liable to accentuate the mids even further (I guess).

Quote by Archer250
(a) JB in basswood or thin mahogany fixes the ice-picky highs, IMO. (b) Not sure about mids since I love mids.

(a) yeah probably. even in alder it sometimes sounds fine (it sounds great in my charvel).

(b) yeah. I don't dislike them, but sometimes you can have too much of a good thing and it gets honky.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for your replys guys!

I think my biggest porblem is...I really have no idea how these pickups will sound in a SG. I'm playing Les Paul for like forever now Bareknuckles indeed are awesome, but pretty expensive too. BTW you're right Billie Joe played JB untill he went all Les Paul. And I know Four Year Strong and Rise Against use the JB too...but of course they play Les Pauls.

Ohhw i can't decide :P
When I was planning a couple of custom guitars, I emailed the pickup makers with questions about how certain products would work with certain woods and for certain genres. They were helpful.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
^ Good idea. Emailing the companies normally works well as long as you're only asking about comparisons between their own products.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?