Pretty self-explanatory: Have you ever contemplated stopping playing music as a whole ?

I'm at a place where I don't even know why I started playing music, all my band projects have failed and it kind of annoyed me at the point where I don't even feel like picking up my guitar or singing at all.

Anyone with a similar experience ?
Sell your instruments for drugs
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Of course, it's a normal thought but do not let failure stop you. At some point I was like "**** these dumb****s I will record my own stuff and play only for me" I'm quite happy with that decision.
Yeah sometimes, i feel like i spend more time buying stuff than playing stuff which is the wrong way round. Sometimes i feel i should just jack it but i know as soon as i sell all my stuff i'll want it all back again.

I think im just at a point in my life where i havent really got the time. I just need to ride out the next year or two
Only occasionally
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Quote by vocoderboy
i don't "play", i MAKE music. I do it for me and doubt i'll stop

The music I create doesn't satisfy my artistic ambitions, I feel like I could do more, but at the same time I feel hindered to do so by my influences etc.

I am producing at the moment though
Never. I have a band, solo work, school stuff, etc. I could never stop playing music.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by Campbell22
The music I create doesn't satisfy my artistic ambitions, I feel like I could do more, but at the same time I feel hindered to do so by my influences etc.

Maybe you should broaden your influences then.
Not really. I still play/write every day, but not with any purpose. To be honest, I don't even really do it as a hobby anymore. It's become like a substitute for watching TV for me. Just another way to pass the time.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Maybe you should broaden your influences then.

I don't know man, to be honest I listen to everything from electro, rap to post-rock and extreme metal, I do get caught up in writing à la Deftones though :P
i am a professional musician and all of my stuff was expensive so i can't

but i wouldn't want to anyway but maybe it's just because i'm naturally great
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I might not pick up any instrument for months but I never thought about quitting altogether. It's just not in me. I stop doing stuff but I never quit.

Except drugs, those are bad for ya.
music is my only 100% hobby where i feel completely free. i do programming projects on the side, but that's inevitably partly to further my career. everything else i do is not really a hobby.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
All the time man!
But, You have to realize that every part of life is an experience and should be free from judge. Just because one project failed doesnt mean it was a waste. Secondly, progress is not a linear line. Its more of a rollercoaster that moves in an upward direction.

I love doing all things with music. Playing, creating, researching etc etc. But there are points where I do have that insecurity and I ask myself. Is this worth it? The answer is always yes, I love doing this, look what all it has provided for me.

Also, try not to entertain those negative thoughts man!

/lifeviews

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
I haven't played guitar in like 2 months. Cba. Weird cos there was a time where I was just obsessed with getting new gear.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Nah. Music is something I enjoy, it's a good and fulfilling hobby. Sometimes I play all the time, sometimes I get interested in other stuff and don't touch a guitar for quite a while. But I always come back to it because...why not?
I've wasted so much cash on music, I feel like I can't stop unless I really hate it, which I don't. As it happens I still enjoy it alright so it's not even a problem.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
I've never thought about stopping, even if I get nowhere making music I'm sure I'll still find it fun to play instruments.
I have nothing important to say
Quote by Campbell22
I don't know man, to be honest I listen to everything from electro, rap to post-rock and extreme metal, I do get caught up in writing à la Deftones though :P

Well...what style would you like to write music for? Pick one, then really dive into it for a bit. Analyze it musically. See what you liked/disliked, what you thought worked or didn't work. Etc. Then, start writing in that style.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Well...what style would you like to write music for? Pick one, then really dive into it for a bit. Analyze it musically. See what you liked/disliked, what you thought worked or didn't work. Etc. Then, start writing in that style.

I don't know anymore tbh, I guess that's one thing that bugs me, I want to get experimental and feel limited somewhat.
I thought about stopping, I was tortured with the idea of making it big.

Even grew my hair out to my shoulders and took obscene amounts of drugs, because that's what musicians do.

If you just do it for the love of it and drop the whole tortured genius thing while also refusing to fit into some cliché, music is actually very enjoyable. I enjoy the process.
Yeah I haven't touched my bass in like a year.
I've also been busy that year tho, and have been wanting to play again recently. But I don't, and probably won't, for the foreseeable future.
I thought about stopping it last year when I broke up with my long term GF and at the same time, my long term band that I had put pretty much eveything into hit 'the wall' with tons of problems. It's pretty obvious why I lost the spark, though I managed to complete SO MANY VIDEO GAMES.
I stopped playing almost altogether other than the once or twice a month I MIGHT have picked up my guitar for an hour. I just lost all motivation and inspiration. Couldn't have even created a simple riff if a large dinosaur burst through my door and held me at gun point.

I'm pretty much on the back end of that though. I've been throwing together a few song ideas, drawing up concept album arts for fun again, playing for fun again (pretty important part really) and working with my friend/bassist in putting together a few new small projects as well as rebuilding our old band. Essentially doing all the musical things I've always done but neglected to do for quite a few months.

I think it's a pretty normal thing to feel, I've seen a few people go through the "I'm quitting" phase. Clearing my mind, putting my priorities in order and thinking back to what made me so motivated and inspired years ago really helped me get back into it.
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.
Nope. Ever since I started, all I've wanted to do is improve myself. Like right now, my ultimate goal with my viola playing is to master Stravinsky's 'Elegy for Solo Viola,' a stupidly ridiculous hard piece that is absolutely gorgeous.

Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
Learning songs and theory is cool, but what interested me in music in the first place was the possibility to create something and the DIY aspect to it.

It was different then because I really thought I could build something from the ground up and that it would be all me, but now I bore myself composing repetitive songs and all.

I think I'm just waiting to grasp the right idea to work on because I want to push myself and write something cray.
Lately I have not been happy with my playing and Netflix, GTA and comics take a lot of my time so yeah it does not feel great.