So, I have a 2014 LP standard and right now it has a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge. To me it sounds..eh. It is especially bright sounding which I think is my biggest complaint. Doing a little searching I don't seem to be the only one with this way of thinking. Strange because in the EC1000 I have it sounds pretty dang good. I think it might be because the Standard's maple top.

I play metal (think lamb of god, sylosis) and am curious to hear if anyone has a suggestion for a replacement. I kind of like the stock 498T in my Studio but I don't know for sure that I'd want that. I would prefer to stay passive. I'm pretty much looking to stay within the realm of the JB just not quite as bright. Also, if at all possible I would prefer it to be available with the zebra (black/creme) look. Not ABSOLUTELY necessary but I'd like to keep with the look I have now.

Thanks Guys
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
Last edited by RCA1186 at Jul 7, 2014,
Well I am not a metal player but I can say the JB is a bit too focused in the mids for an all around pickup. Dimarzio Air Nortan is a more broad range pickup and can be used in a variety of settings there are quite a few metal players who use it but it works for a lot of other things.
The JB is sort of like the Dimarzio Fred both can be good if used for some things but have a focused mid range that makes them less than all purpose.
I like Burstbuckers and 498T. I'd also be interested in checking out the Dimarzio Super Distortion.

Also always wanted to try something from Sheptone.
Anyone have input on the DiMarzio Tone Zone? Supposed to be like the JB but from reviews I have read; "similar to the 498T with more response" and "good for taming an overly bright guitar" but I also see a lot of people say they will sound muddy in a Les Paul. Then I see people suggesting an Air Zone which sounds to me like its supposed to be a Tone Zone with less output....so confused
+More

Last edited by RCA1186 at Jul 7, 2014,
Check out Bareknuckle pickups, they have a bunch of unique pickups, one may be what you're looking for. My favourite from them would be the Nailbomb, but there's a few there which are aimed towards metal
I've got a Seymour Duncan Custom 5 in the bridge of my Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top. It does Metallica-type tones pretty well. But it's generally more suited for rock based on my experience with it. Quite a versatile pickup overall though.
Quote by diabolical
How bout the X2N - it is a bit abrasive but it is metal after all, think Kreator tone. Dimarzio Distortion is you want more tame. SD SH4 is also good.

The SH4 is the JB and is what I'm replacing.

Quote by snareguitar15
I've got a Seymour Duncan Custom 5 in the bridge of my Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top. It does Metallica-type tones pretty well. But it's generally more suited for rock based on my experience with it. Quite a versatile pickup overall though.

That's another one that I was looking at as well. I've heard the custom or custom 5 do well in a LP.
+More

I would suggest the custom 5 as well. Was the first "budget" pickup that came to my mind. Bareknuckle nailbombs would work based on the suggestions those guys gave me when I had a similar problem. Also bgpickups.com is a custom pickup site made by a guy in California. He has some nice PAF custom pickups that you might like
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by adambauman31
I like Burstbuckers and 498T. I'd also be interested in checking out the Dimarzio Super Distortion.

Also always wanted to try something from Sheptone.

Sheptones are incredible. Obviously more of a focus on the vintage, PAF type pickups, but I would never consider anything else when it comes to humbuckers. Best humbuckers I've ever heard, period.
Mark Morton was using something really similar to the Pearly Gates a few years ago (so lower output). If you have the money to spend Bare Knuckle pickups has a nice selection and the Nailbomb and Aftermath are worth looking at.

I also like the Suhr Aldrich
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by RCA1186
Anyone have input on the DiMarzio Tone Zone? Supposed to be like the JB but from reviews I have read; "similar to the 498T with more response" and "good for taming an overly bright guitar" but I also see a lot of people say they will sound muddy in a Les Paul. Then I see people suggesting an Air Zone which sounds to me like its supposed to be a Tone Zone with less output....so confused

I haven't tried a tone zone in a les paul but I'd be concerned it'd be way too dark in a les paul. I have one in a lag superstrat (mahogany body, but maple bolt-on neck, ebony fretboard) and it's pretty dark. I imagine (could be wrong) it'd be even worse in a les paul.

It's probably less muddy than a JB, though. It's the darkness that's the problem.

I haven't tried the air zone but I think it's meant to be a lower output tone zone, yeah.

all those things like customs etc. i've tried, but not in a LP. So that's no help.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I play metal (think lamb of god, sylosis) and am curious to hear if anyone has a suggestion for a replacement. I kind of like the stock 498T in my Studio but I don't know for sure that I'd want that. I would prefer to stay passive. I'm pretty much looking to stay within the realm of the JB just not quite as bright. Also, if at all possible I would prefer it to be available with the zebra (black/creme) look. Not ABSOLUTELY necessary but I'd like to keep with the look I have now.

The guys in Sylosis recently snagged a couple of Reverend Senseis- a HB and a RA. The Sensei RA has RailHammer Chisels in the neck & bridge.

http://www.railhammer.com/chisel_neck.html
http://www.railhammer.com/chisel_bridge.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK6kUnLa47I&sns=em
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9R8nC463BY&sns=em
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33h_F_tbHYk&sns=em
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 7, 2014,
Wow I think my JB is all about articulation and 80s high gain modern tone. Stock 498s are closer to a 59 pickup which suits 60s and 70s better than Metal IMO. Darker pickups tend to lose definition and clarity when you want it.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by dannyalcatraz

From what I see now Josh is using an EMG 57 in his Gibson, I think Bailey still uses the railhammer's though. Josh has used stock Gibson P'ups as well as the JB, although I'm not sure if he had the JB in his LP.

Quote by Cajundaddy
Wow I think my JB is all about articulation and 80s high gain modern tone. Stock 498s are closer to a 59 pickup which suits 60s and 70s better than Metal IMO. Darker pickups tend to lose definition and clarity when you want it.

I get what you're saying, I like the sound of the 498T but somethings still not quite right, that's why I'm shying away from it.

I wouldn't be opposed to trying out a Bareknuckle, but the price steers me away, I can afford it, but its kind of a crapshoot. If I knew I liked how it sounded in my guitar it would be no problem.

I've seen a lot of people saying the Tone Zone is too dark in a LP so you may be right on that one.

I tried messing around with my OD808 and the 6505's EQ a bit yesterday and was able to tame out the treble just a little bit, I'll see if I still like where its at later today after work.
+More

From what I see now Josh is using an EMG 57 in his Gibson, I think Bailey still uses the railhammer's though. Josh has used stock Gibson P'ups as well as the JB, although I'm not sure if he had the JB in his LP.

AFAIK, neither has modded either of their Reverends, but only the RailHammer pickups are available on the parts market.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by RCA1186

I have a Tone Zone in my vintage Kramer EVH Frankenstein, & I hate it. It came that way, & I've been simply too lazy to replace it (I have many other guitars, so it's not an emergency ). Way too dark & inarticulate for playing VH covers. I'm going to replace it with a new EVH pickup first chance I get. Some pickups I'd recommend though are Tom Holmes 455s. I have one in the bridge position on my Jackson, & it screams even though it's not a high-output. More PAF voiced but a bit hotter. Great sound clarity.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Yep he put the EMG's in his firebird. Not sure if he's still using the Reverend or not

http://vod.com.ng/en/video/whAIVyLr23Y/Josh-Middleton-of-Sylosis-EMG-5766-demo
+More

Quote by riffhog
I have a Tone Zone in my vintage Kramer EVH Frankenstein, & I hate it. It came that way, & I've been simply too lazy to replace it (I have many other guitars, so it's not an emergency ). Way too dark & inarticulate for playing VH covers.

I actually really like the tone zone for certain things, but what annoys me is that (IMO) it's a bit of a niche pickup which dimarzio recommends for virtually every situation (see their pickup wizard on their site).

I wouldn't want it for VH either.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?