I've been building my pedalboard and the last thing that I need to complete it is a volume pedal. I had no idea such a seemingly simple thing would give me so many problems. After doing some research I found that I need an active volume pedal. This way, there's no tone suck and I can use it with both my guitars (one has active pickups and the other has passive). I plan on putting the volume pedal in the effects loop before my delay and reverb so I can use it for ambient swells.

The problem is the only one I found so far that will work for me is the Mission VM-Pro which is $190. Is there any other pedal like this that's cheaper? I looked at the Ernie Ball MVP but it seems like it's better suited for volume boosting and not swells. I'd hate for my volume pedal to be the most expensive thing on my board
Why do you think the EB is not for swells? The Mission does seem to have more features, but would you use them? The EB does allow you to set the heel down minimum level, so it's easy to pick two different volume levels on the fly. But I see no reason why it couldn't handle swells as well as the Mission. Of course the only way to know is try them both.

Both of these are buffered pedals, which means they are active. Unfortunately EB also uses the word "active" to refer to the internal pot in a passive pedal. Not in the case of the MVP though.
Yeah id second Morley. Ive actually been looking at their passive/no power pedals which id guess wouldnt suck tone.
I've always used the Dunlop DVP1 Volume Pedal....no tone suck what so ever...but it's really large, which is why I like it...very smooth sweep...

The only volume pedal I had problems with tone suck are the Morley Volume pedals...
"Well, yeah, sometimes I get a little too creative."
~Bruce Dickinson~

-------------------------
"Various equipments"
Quote by fly135
Why do you think the EB is not for swells?

Everything I've heard about the EB is that all of the sweep is in the last 1/4 of the pedal.

Yeah id second Morley. Ive actually been looking at their passive/no power pedals which id guess wouldnt suck tone.

Passive pedals are what suck the tone, that's why I need an active one. The Morley active volume pedal doesn't have a smooth sweep, though.

I've always used the Dunlop DVP1 Volume Pedal....no tone suck what so ever...but it's really large, which is why I like it...very smooth sweep...

Isn't that pedal passive? Even if it doesn't have tone suck, I won't be able to use it with my guitar that has active pickups
Quote by Sam Rulez D00d
Everything I've heard about the EB is that all of the sweep is in the last 1/4 of the pedal.
Well users reports are the next best thing to trying it yourself.

Quote by Sam Rulez D00d
Passive pedals are what suck the tone, that's why I need an active one. The Morley active volume pedal doesn't have a smooth sweep, though.
If you have a buffer or buffered pedal before the pedal, tone suck should not be an issue.

Quote by Sam Rulez D00d
Isn't that pedal passive? Even if it doesn't have tone suck, I won't be able to use it with my guitar that has active pickups
Active pups are not an issue with a passive pedal. Also active pickups are buffered, so the who tone suck issue is gone with them.
I'm gunna plug the Visual Volume, because I frigging love it. Active or passive modes, 10 leds indicating volume level visually in active mode, 2 ins and outs, tuner out, and it's built like a tank. I don't notice any affect on tone. Can be had for 140 usd new, however the thing takes up plenty of pedalboard real estate.
PRS Custom 24
Rivera KnuckleHead 55
Budda SuperDrive 30
Vox AC15C1