I've been looking for a decent guitar for tuning into D standard, Drop C and occasionally Drop B.

Mostly I've been looking towards Ibanez for the 25.5" scale but I am open to other options. The problem is there is such a wide variety of prices and options out there and I really don't know the good from the bad- i.e. which model numbers are a good value and which ones are just cheap.

I probably want used so I can get the most out of my money, and I do have a Guitar center locally- they seem to have more used guitars than anyone I have looked at.

Here is what I want:
2 humbuckers. Center one not really needed or preferred.
No tremlo system. - non negotiable point for a guitar that will change tunings frequently.
Budget $4-500 for a used one.
Type of music: metal mostly. All types from old Metallica to Volbeat to Trivium.

Opinions? Comments?
I am a fan of the LTD range guitars. Great bang for your buck. Normally the higher end ones are where you want to look, whether that be 1000 or 1001 depending on what model (body shape) you are after. I know you don't want a trem but there are some great Ibbys out there in that range and it really it's too hard to block the trem. I know a lot of people like Schecter for that style, I personally am not a fan of Schecter, they just never felt right.
I really don't want this to turn into a new amp thread, but what gear do you currently have?
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
That's a pretty wide range of tunings. D Standard and Drop C are easy but Drop B may be too far out there.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Active or passive pickups? A used Jackson DK2T, DKMGT or SLSMG would be a pretty good choice, I reckon. They're all 24 fret, superstrat shape, 2H, non-trem, Japanese built. [/Jackson fan]
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 7, 2014,
G&L ASAT Deluxe, for B get a bass guitar
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by bobafettacheese

I really don't want this to turn into a new amp thread, but what gear do you currently have?

Current standard tuning guitar is a Fender Blacktop strat with a Floyd Rose. Amp is just a crappy practice amp that will get replaced soon.

That's a pretty wide range of tunings. D Standard and Drop C are easy but Drop B may be too far out there.

Interesting comment. It is just a 1/2 step down from D standard on 5 strings and down to B on the top string.

Active or passive pickups? A used Jackson DK2T, DKMGT or SLSMG would be a pretty good choice, I reckon. They're all 24 fret, superstrat shape, 2H, non-trem, Japanese built. [/Jackson fan]

Never had active pickups and I'm not sure I want to have to remember to unplug the guitar every time I am done playing it, so Passive. And Yes, I was looking at Jacksons too.
Quote by dannyalcatraz

Thanks for the links, but I was leaning towards a 25.5" scale for down tuning and all of those were 24.75.
I think you are on the right track with Ibanez. Based on your criteria I would go for the GRG121DX

It's much cheaper that your suggested price but I think it's a great guitar. If you want to spend a little more just check out anything in the RG range.
Last edited by Victorgeiger at Jul 7, 2014,
Quote by Jeffh40
Interesting comment. It is just a 1/2 step down from D standard on 5 strings and down to B on the top string.

Then be sure to build a set of strings that sits in the middle to achieve that without being too loose or too tense.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by Jeffh40
Thanks for the links, but I was leaning towards a 25.5" scale for down tuning and all of those were 24.75.

Ah- forgot that element!

I shall think a bit more...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Used LTD MHNT1000 with SD's or EC1000
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
An oddity- the Fernandes Revolver Deluxe is the only one in their current Revolver line that is a hardtail:
http://www.fernandesguitars.com/revolver/revolver-deluxe.html
www.fernandesguitarshop.com/revolver/72-revolver-deluxe.html

After a few trips to guitar stores and looking what was available locally, I realized that there were no good Ibanez guitars for cheap prices unless I wanted the cheap Ibanez ones. I ended up with a Schecter Hellraiser from GC. Used at $299 it was way under budget, but I think they are $700ish new and is sounds just as good as a $700 guitar should.

Yes, active pickups, but I'll learn to get used to unplugging the guitar.
Nice 25.5" scale and the EMG pickups sound great.

Just got it today so I haven't had a chance to do much with it, but I tuned it to D standard and messed around a little with some Volbeat and vintage Motley Crue, also went in Drop C for a bit for Godsmack and Trivium (okay, Trivium is drop C#, but I didn't retune just for the 1 song I know). No issues at all. Sounds great.

Pics:

Happy New Guitar Day!

Excellent choice. I came in here to say that I've played mostly Schecters, and they're great guitars for the price, especially their cheaper models. Real good find on the Hellraiser at that price. Those are $800 new. Although it looks like thats an older one with the EMG 81/85 pickups. Just like mine. I have the same guitar, same color, but with a floyd. Been playing it in D standard for 8 years. Still good as new. Congrats and enjoy the axe.
Quote by the_bi99man
Excellent choice. I came in here to say that I've played mostly Schecters, and they're great guitars for the price, especially their cheaper models. Real good find on the Hellraiser at that price. Those are $800 new. Although it looks like thats an older one with the EMG 81/85 pickups. Just like mine. I have the same guitar, same color, but with a floyd. Been playing it in D standard for 8 years. Still good as new. Congrats and enjoy the axe.

Serial number puts it in 2006 so it is not new, but not very old.

I've settled in D standard for the moment too. I bought some new 52-10 strings and it is probably about time to restring it since it keeps going out of tune.
Schecter are great guitars, I love my ATX V
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Jeffh40
Serial number puts it in 2006 so it is not new, but not very old.

I've settled in D standard for the moment too. I bought some new 52-10 strings and it is probably about time to restring it since it keeps going out of tune.

Nice. Mine is also a 2006. That was the year the Hellraiser was first introduced. Such a great guitar. Hahaha. D Standard and 52-10 strings? So, you now have the exact same guitar, same strings and same tuning as me. Except mine has the floyd. Again, enjoy. Great choice.