Hello guys.

For the past 2 years or so, probably longer, I have been playing guitar quite often, I play mostly metal and rock.

Im getting quite good at rhythm parts, but every time I start on a solo, I cant seem to be able to do it. I'm able to play some fast rhythm licks in the style of Sylosis, but when I try a solo a little more complicated as Ace of Spades, I keep getting my fingers into all sorts of knots and lose interest too quickly to be able to learn it.

Does anyone know how to break this? Or know any good excercises to get better at these solo parts? Its not the right hand that causes troubles, just the fretting hand that doesnt really want to listen as soon as it becomes about solos.

Thanks to everyone who spends some of their time reading or commenting, much appreciated
Slow down. I'm guessing you're trying to play the solos at full speed almost right away (pure conjecture on my side though). Break the solo down into parts and practice each part slowly until you know each notes quite well. Then play them slowly so you're not brushing through the solos and rushing through random notes. Once you get them down, slowly increase the speed. Pay close attention to the parts that are giving you problems and figure what exactly that's giving you trouble (is it the alternate picking, string picking or not muting correctly?).

I'm not very experienced myself although when I learn a song, I usually start with the solo if it has one =P. Maybe someone else here can give you some better advice haha but slowing down first is always a good place to start. I'm sure you'll get it down if you keep at it slow and steadily.
Starting slow is important, another important thing is committing the solo to memory. Regardless of the speed you play it at, lets say half speed. You should be able to play it without really looking at the fret board. Not to say you shouldn't look at all but you need to play the solo with "feel". Only once you can do that should you start upping the tempo to the correct speed.
Going slow is the big thing.

Metal and rock bands tend to have difficult solos in one way or another, so maybe it would be a good idea to find some other music which is simpler and enjoyable for you to practice on at full speed. I started with tunes from video games that repeat every :40 or so. Any kind of melodies you can play will help add to your skillset so you can eventually tackle bigger challenges.

I think it's important to remember that all the skills you have are connected in some way- some closer than others- and once you are able to cram certain ways of playing/thinking into your head it becomes easy- even remembering solos with hundreds of notes. The struggles you have will pay off if you keep at it. Just remember to make economical movements with your left hand, and only play something as fast as you can do it comfortably and properly- you've still got to test yourself every now and then though!

Rhythm skill is an essential thing to have with playing solos- what you have learned already is going to give you an advantage. If you don't have rhythm, there is no point in trying to solo with a band because it will sound terrible; all your bends will be cut short, or uncomfortably long... the groove will be screwed. Try to get accustomed to playing bends and vibrato in the groove, as well as playing different pitches in groupings like 3,4 and 6 notes a beat- it doesn't really matter what pitches or scales you are playing, as long as it is something you like and it gets your fingers moving rather than staying on one note or chord for a few beats. Just learn more things in that direction is the whole deal, I guess.

It's sort of like racing- it's about finding the best line on the track. If you just keep the pedal to the metal, you're never going to make that hairpin. At the same time, nobody pays to watch people obey the speed limit on the way to the grocery store either. Stay smooth and in control.

Hope that helps!
Quote by Jesus
Gaza Strip- home. At least it was before I fucked ereythang up...
You can't try to play the solos as if you already know how to play them, and that they should be just as easy as riffing, because you don't, and to you they aren't. Isolate the solo sections, listen to them over and over. Start slow. Play with a metronome and work up to the track speed. You need to be patient. You can't have something for nothing. Don't give up. Tell yourself that you can do it. Seriously commit to learning the solos instead of, "well, I'll just go back to the riffs until I can one day play the solo".
I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes HEY!
I find that the key to playing a fast run/solo is knowing what you're about to play, not just the next note but the whole phrase - you really have to know where you're going and how you're going to play it (fingerings, hand position etc.)
So I guess the real key is slowing it right down and being able to play in a relaxed, controlled manner, and then building up the speed.
You need to take a section and play it over and over and over again until it's right and memorized,Then move on to another section.There is no easy way.If you really want to play it,This is the ONLY way.
Copy the song into whatever DAW you use, slow the tempo down to a point you're comfortable with, and then slog away at it, slowly increasing the tempo until you've eventually got it back up to full tempo.