Hi

I've searched on the internet, that what gear had used in flames on the jester race album. In short, peavey 5150 with marshall 1960 cab and with boss hm2.
If I buy a boss hm-2 pedal, can I make some similiar guitar voice with my little marshall mg30fx? Or with some head and cab simulators like TSE x50(what is peavey 5150)?
Or without 5150 and without marshall cabs this is impossible?
Thanks in advance!
sell your MG and get a Peavey 6505+ 1x12 combo
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
sell your MG and get a Peavey 6505+ 1x12 combo

5150 and the 6505+combo sound different still.

To get that sound you need the gear to put it simply.
A 6505+ combo will sound similar but grab a speaker change (one thats in the marshall 1960/1936/1922 cabs) and you will sound closeish.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
You will need an HM-2 regardless of what amp you get. I run a 6505+ and an HM-2 and can get very close to the tone on The Jester Race. Even the 6505+ 112 sounds close enough to an original 5150 that you can make them sound the same with an EQ pedal. But the HM-2 adds a whole different character to the distortion.

I run my HM-2 in the effects loop oddly enough, with the lead channel. The gain on the pedal is on zero. I find that setup to be a little closer to At the Gates' Slaughter of the Soul album than In Flames, but it's close enough.

If you're on a budget, just get an HM-2. I don't know how it would sound through an MG, but it could only be an improvement...
Quote by venndi88
Hi

I've searched on the internet, that what gear had used in flames on the jester race album. In short, peavey 5150 with marshall 1960 cab and with boss hm2.
If I buy a boss hm-2 pedal, can I make some similiar guitar voice with my little marshall mg30fx? Or with some head and cab simulators like TSE x50(what is peavey 5150)?
Or without 5150 and without marshall cabs this is impossible?
Thanks in advance!

They didn't use a 5150 until Colony. On Jester Race and Whoracle it was an HM-2 into some Marshall Valvestate amp.

The key thing you need is definitely the HM-2 though. It's what gives it that brutal fuzz. They mixed that with the amp to achieve their tone.
I'm sure you can use another amp and try it on that.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Squier Classic Bibe Telecaster Thinline
Quote by Clay-man
They didn't use a 5150 until Colony. On Jester Race and Whoracle it was an HM-2 into some Marshall Valvestate amp.

The key thing you need is definitely the HM-2 though. It's what gives it that brutal fuzz. They mixed that with the amp to achieve their tone.
I'm sure you can use another amp and try it on that.

I agree, the HM-2 is actually more vital to achieving that tone in this case. But this doesn't remove the fact that you need a better amp!
Also, the buzzsaw tone will sound a lot different without a band mix surrounding it. May be fun for a while but when you decide you want to play other music take a look at amps!
ampeg v140 or valvestate would do it well. i have an HM-2, but i don't really use it, but dimed on the trem-o-verb, sounds pretty viscous.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Thank for the answers!

I know that my amp is not a graet gear...
I'm sorry, my english is not the best. What you mean under this?
"band mix surrounding it" Can you explain me another?
What I need than? New amp + HM-2 and what more?
Quote by venndi88
Thank for the answers!

I know that my amp is not a graet gear...
I'm sorry, my english is not the best. What you mean under this?
"band mix surrounding it" Can you explain me another?
What I need than? New amp + HM-2 and what more?

the sound your amp produces wont sound the same untill you have a full band basically.

Marshall valvestat 8008 or something like that? Im not really sure. Only marshall i really enjoy is the 900SLX.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Venndi88, the more I think about it, the more I think all you need is an Hm-2. Since The Jester Race and Whoracle were recorded with that pedal through a Marshall Valvestate, your MG isn't far off. A Valvestate would be better, but the MG is very similar in tone and gain. (I've owned both a VS and an MG). It wasn't until later that they used 5150s -- and that's a different tone altogether.

Don't buy any other pedal -- it will not get you that tone (unless it's an Hm-2 clone, of which there are few). You can find them used on eBay for ~$80 U.S. dollars all the time. For that matter Valvestates are cheap too. Get what THEY used.
Yes, don't replace the pedal. HM-2 is the essential to the tone. Don't get a freaking Metalzone.

The only band that used that was At The Gates but that was AS A BOOST, not the main source of the distortion or tone.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Squier Classic Bibe Telecaster Thinline
Quote by Clay-man
Yes, don't replace the pedal. HM-2 is the essential to the tone. Don't get a freaking Metalzone.

The only band that used that was At The Gates but that was AS A BOOST, not the main source of the distortion or tone.

yep. just get an hm-2, play with it then worry about other shit. Japan/taiwan made does not matter. Should be able to find one on ebay / reverb.com for less than $120 USD posted to wherever you are.
Shit, MGs are better than ValveStates

And Digitech Death Metals are pretty damn good for the price. But it's not an HM-2. If you want THE HM-2 sound, you need an HM-2.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X