I have been playing guitar for almost a year now, and I find myself stuck, not knowing how to move forward. Of course I have learned those open G C D E songs/ progressions and a couple of phrases or licks, along with a few barre chords. Recently, I have begun learning the notes on the fretboard. I found a nice diagram that had the notes in a circle and found it really easy to memorize. I have decided that I wanted to dig deeper into playing lead and ultimately want to improvise and solo. Now I know this subject has been beaten to death, but I am so confused by it. The Minor Pentatonic scale. As my main interest in music is Blues and Rock I know this is the starting point. I have memorized the 5 minor shapes and 1 major shape. I can play them fluently with no errors and without looking.Now what? I tried taking two super simple phrases and climbing up and down the scale and inserting the phrases. What do I need to do to be able to take those shapes and create a solo? I haven't been able to find an efficient way to make any sort of progress. It is unclear to me how you take that scale and start playing riffs along with another guitar or a jam track. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!
Learn a song that you are a big fan of. Thats always a lot of fun.... and is a nice diversion from the hard work you've been putting in.

My personal recommendation is to learn it by ear if you can- using some sort of slowdown software if need be. But even learning by tabs is acceptable- the end result you want is to have fun.
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
There's an easy solution: Leave your comfort zone and don't come back for 2 months. If you're already outside, then just keep going. That's how life works if you want results.
Last edited by Elintasokas at Jul 7, 2014,
Quote by Fret Frier
I have been playing guitar for almost a year now, and I find myself stuck, not knowing how to move forward. Of course I have learned those open G C D E songs/ progressions and a couple of phrases or licks, along with a few barre chords. Recently, I have begun learning the notes on the fretboard. I found a nice diagram that had the notes in a circle and found it really easy to memorize. I have decided that I wanted to dig deeper into playing lead and ultimately want to improvise and solo. Now I know this subject has been beaten to death, but I am so confused by it. The Minor Pentatonic scale. As my main interest in music is Blues and Rock I know this is the starting point. I have memorized the 5 minor shapes and 1 major shape. I can play them fluently with no errors and without looking.Now what? I tried taking two super simple phrases and climbing up and down the scale and inserting the phrases. What do I need to do to be able to take those shapes and create a solo? I haven't been able to find an efficient way to make any sort of progress. It is unclear to me how you take that scale and start playing riffs along with another guitar or a jam track. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

What are your goals and an example of the scales you know and an example of the jam track?

Best,

Sean
Quote by Fret Frier

In regards to solos/improvising.

learn to play some of your favorite solos. Learn the scales/patterns used in those solos.

If you're into blues, learn the Major and minor pentatonic scales (and blues scales…..minor blues Major Blues ).

Just start with 1 pattern of each. (pattern 1 for minor, pattern 5 for Major)

DON'T try to improvise just yet. Learn solos 1st, at least 5 - 10, the more the better.

Don't rush through it either. Learn them, play them, enjoy them, absorb them
You have now memorized the fingerings. But you also need to memorize the sound. And that takes time. Just play everything by ear and your ear will develop. I would also suggest learning about scale degrees and intervals. They help at ear training. When you can name things, you learn them faster.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115