I'm sure I'm not alone when I say this, which is why I was wondering if any experienced or more advanced guitar players can give us some help. The question is How do you write a song/ solo on a guitar. I know that you have to match it up with the chords and stuff, but how? If you are writing a song, how do you choose which scale to use, and how do you choose a scale when soloing? And what does that have to do with the key a song is in? If anyone can help me with these I would greatly appreciate it. It is something I am VERY confused about. Thanks!
Try learning the 12 bar blues using the pentatonic scale to improvise over the chords. Check out backing tracks on youtube or other videos of people playing over a 12 bar blues.
Quote by joe783
I'm sure I'm not alone when I say this, which is why I was wondering if any experienced or more advanced guitar players can give us some help. The question is How do you write a song/ solo on a guitar. I know that you have to match it up with the chords and stuff, but how? If you are writing a song, how do you choose which scale to use, and how do you choose a scale when soloing? And what does that have to do with the key a song is in? If anyone can help me with these I would greatly appreciate it. It is something I am VERY confused about. Thanks!

The key dictates the scale. So first you have to know the key.

It helps to know what chords are normally expected first diatonic to that key, and secondly, what chords arent diatonic, but still fit with the key, and understand voiceleading, substitution properties etc.

It helps to know chords and what notes make them up and to be able to determine, if the chords that we are soloing over are diatonic to the scale, or need an extra chord tone deviating from the scale at the change to that chord.

Hope that helps. I don't know what if any knowledge you have.

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Jul 8, 2014,