Hi Ultimate Guitarists

Thanks for all the constructive criticism guys. We have now lowered the price to a reasonable level for both us and you. THANK YOU!

I have teamed up with my guitarist friend Anthony to bring to you Carbon Aces real carbon fibre guitar picks.
We are 2 students from the UK and would really love your support on our kickstarter project which went live yesterday.
The prices are afforable and international postage is cheap too.
They are now only £0.80 + postage

Thank you!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/171410464/carbon-aces-real-carbon-fibre-guitar-picks

Last edited by CarbonAcesAntAl at Jul 8, 2014,
Quote by LivinJoke84
In not trying to be shitty, but what do these do that other guitar picks dont?

Genuine question

They are much more durable, lasting you longer. Also all the guitarist we have asked say that they feel better than plastic picks. Most of them asked if they could keep the prototype we let them try.
Will it make me play faster? I mean it's carbon fiber. Should be lighter, thus making my pick hand faster. Or have I been watching too much Top Gear UK? Seriously, not everything needs to be made out of carbon fiber.
^ well we wouldn't get innovation if we didn't do that, imo.
Quote by CarbonAcesAntAl
They are much more durable, lasting you longer. Also all the guitarist we have asked say that they feel better than plastic picks. Most of them asked if they could keep the prototype we let them try.
The way of getting a consistent support from the guys here would be handing out samples here too

Plus, a pack of 12 1mm dunlop tortex pick costs £3,40 on amazon, with free uk delivery.
With that money I would buy 1 of your supposedly better carbon fiber picks, so apart from the feel which is subjective, do these picks last 10 times the dunlop tortex picks?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Jul 8, 2014,
If you wanted to make friends here you should have given them away for free. Seriously any advantage to these or is it annother snake oil pitch.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by Spambot_2

Plus, a pack of 12 1mm dunlop tortex pick costs £3,40 on amazon, with free uk delivery.
With that money I would buy 1 of your supposedly better carbon fiber picks, so apart from the feel which is subjective, do these picks last 10 times the dunlop tortex picks?

This. Please answer this question. If they don't last 10 times longer yet they're 10 times the price, then your product is destined to fail.

And if people want the feel of a carbon fiber pick, then that can easily be replicated just through modifying the moulds that make the picks out of plastic, to include bumps and ridges that the weave of the carbon fiber creates. Thereby completely eliminating the need for your product.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jul 8, 2014,
Even if they DO last 10 longer, realistically speaking one will end up losing them long before they expire.

Ive just ordered 20 new Dunlop picks from eBay for about a fiver. Will be about a fortnight before theyve all disappeared. Thats why i personally wouldnt want to spend more than a few pence on a guitar pick

*adopts Scottish accent*

I'll tell you where i am right now. Its a decent product but its not for me. I wish you the best of luck. Im out
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
This. Please answer this question. If they don't last 10 times longer yet they're 10 times the price, then your product is destined to fail.

And if people want the feel of a carbon fiber pick, then that can easily be replicated just through modifying the moulds that make the picks out of plastic, to include bumps and ridges that the weave of the carbon fiber creates. Thereby completely eliminating the need for your product.

They appear to last at least 10 times longer. They feel nice in the hand and we have had nothing but good reviews about them.
I don't want to play pile-on here; if this is a business opportunity and you think it's a real niche you can fill, more power to you. However, since you're asking the public to essentially be collective venture capitalists, some questions do need to be answered.

- What is your intended price-point once you develop and distribute the product? A $10 plectrum is all fine-and-dandy until you lose it.
- Following this, what is your intended target demographic?
- How do you intend to distribute these long-term? Will they be strictly by online order, or do you eventually intend to offer them through more traditional brick-and-mortar shopfronts?
- Do you have a business model with projected plans at 1 month/3 months/6 months/1 year/5 years out? For instance, if this "takes off" and you have to fill a lot of orders, do you have enough friends and family to stuff envelops to fulfill orders in a timely fashion?
- Along the same lines, do you have a solid plan for profit reinvestment to grow your company?
- What innovations do you feel your product offers that is currently lacking in the market? What future innovations would you like to bring to the fore once the "novelty" of the initial roll-out wears off?

It's not my intention here to grill you, and I realize you're not asking everyone to invest tens- or hundreds of thousands of dollars/pounds/euros/drachmas/etc. But insofar as you're coming to a very specific community with a product geared toward them, I think these are some valid questions.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. Thanks.
I am a StarGeezer: some call me..."Tim."*

* - Heartfelt apologies to Monty Python for blatant plagiarism. Those responsible have been sacked.

Epiphone G-400 "Goth"
Peavey Vypyr 75 Amp
Quote by losing battle
If you wanted to make friends here you should have given them away for free. Seriously any advantage to these or is it annother snake oil pitch.

They are light, durable and feel great. All the guitarist who have tried it have said it works great and some said it was easier to grip due to its smooth surface.
Have answer all with a +

Quote by StarGeezerTim
I don't want to play pile-on here; if this is a business opportunity and you think it's a real niche you can fill, more power to you. However, since you're asking the public to essentially be collective venture capitalists, some questions do need to be answered.

- What is your intended price-point once you develop and distribute the product? A $10 plectrum is all fine-and-dandy until you lose it.
+ Its will stay the same price as the kickstarter once being launched after

- Following this, what is your intended target demographic?
+Anyone who plays guitar and wants a unique/interesting pick which is more durable.

- How do you intend to distribute these long-term? Will they be strictly by online order, or do you eventually intend to offer them through more traditional brick-and-mortar shopfronts?
+ Online and sale to shops

- Do you have a business model with projected plans at 1 month/3 months/6 months/1 year/5 years out? For instance, if this "takes off" and you have to fill a lot of orders, do you have enough friends and family to stuff envelops to fulfill orders in a timely fashion?
+ For now we are seeing how the product fairs and then decisions will be made. Packing envelops is fine we have plenty of people willing to do it and if it gets to large outsourcing the postage is an option we could look into.

- Along the same lines, do you have a solid plan for profit reinvestment to grow your company?
+Most of the money will stay in the company and then we will build over time to become a fully fledged company

- What innovations do you feel your product offers that is currently lacking in the market? What future innovations would you like to bring to the fore once the "novelty" of the initial roll-out wears off?
+The innovation is a strong, durable and stylish pick for people who want something new and unique.

It's not my intention here to grill you, and I realize you're not asking everyone to invest tens- or hundreds of thousands of dollars/pounds/euros/drachmas/etc. But insofar as you're coming to a very specific community with a product geared toward them, I think these are some valid questions.

+ I understand you are not grilling me. If you doubt me in some way I will tell you a bit about my back ground. I am an A* business student who has just finished 6th form. I am going on to do international business management at university. This is my third business all of which have made a profit. The last kickstarter I ran made over £12,000 and I have lots of experience for my age.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. Thanks.
Quote by Spambot_2
^ well we wouldn't get innovation if we didn't do that, imo.
The way of getting a consistent support from the guys here would hand out samples here too

The picks are priced at £7 for 5 so they are £1.4 each which means that they only cost 5 times more and will defiantly last you 5 times over.
Yeah, i dont want you to feel like im trying to poo poo your dreams. I think its absolutely great that you are doing something you love and it takes balls to start your own company. I honestly do wish you the best of luck and i hope that it works

BUT

Are you really filling a gap in the market here? Yes, some guitarists would like a really nice high quality pick but is there enough of them to build a business on? As already stated, i would never spend more than 50p on a pick cos I just lose em all the time and i know tonnes of other guitar players in the same boat. To a lot of people, a pick is just a means to an end and they dont care whether its plastic or carbon fibre or what. Some do, but a lot dont. You dont really appear to have a USP. If you only address one point in this entire post address this one - What is your USP

Yes, youve had a lot of positive feedback but that doesnt necessarily translate into sales. There is a world of difference between someone saying they like something and them then reaching into their pocket to buy it
Last edited by LivinJoke84 at Jul 8, 2014,
Will there be a super-thick version? I use Dunlop Big Stubby's and I love them.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Quote by LivinJoke84
Yeah, i dont want you to feel like im trying to poo poo your dreams. I think its absolutely great that you are doing something you love and it takes balls to start your own company. I honestly do wish you the best of luck and i hope that it works

BUT

Are you really filling a gap in the market here? Yes, some guitarists would like a really nice high quality pick but is there enough of them to build a business on? As already stated, i would never spend more than 50p on a pick cos I just lose em all the time and i know tonnes of other guitar players in the same boat. To a lot of people, a pick is just a means to an end and they dont care whether its plastic or carbon fibre or what. Some do, but a lot dont

Yes, youve had a lot of positive feedback but that doesnt necessarily translate into sales. There is a world of difference between someone saying they like something and them then reaching into their pocket to buy it

Kickstarter is a great place for the product to see if the market is there. I understand the ideas of business and you would call this test marketing. This is my way of seeing if the market is there. If it is not I have lost nothing and the idea melts away. But if there are enough people who think they are great it will stay. Im not looking to take over the pick business, I am look to grab that niche of guitarists who like a high quality pick. And you never know if you will prefer these till you try them really. There could just be something to them that really clicks with you.
Quote by tas38
Will there be a super-thick version? I use Dunlop Big Stubby's and I love them.

We are looking into making some thick ones but they would require a bevel and so we need to test them. Thanks
Carbs, I think you're not hearing the feedback here. You need to lower the price. Something like US$1.50 retail.
Quote by poppameth
Will it make me play faster? I mean it's carbon fiber. Should be lighter, thus making my pick hand faster. Or have I been watching too much Top Gear UK? Seriously, not everything needs to be made out of carbon fiber.

Haha, Not sure if it will necessarily make you play faster, I think practicing will do that. But having better tools often creates a better result as you are not fighting against them. Maybe you have been watching to much Top Gear but carbon fibre really is a versatile and durable material which makes it great for all applications.
Quote by rigatele
Carbs, I think you're not hearing the feedback here. You need to lower the price. Something like US$1.50 retail.

I am hearing the feedback, We are thinking of lowering the price.
Last edited by CarbonAcesAntAl at Jul 8, 2014,
Quote by CarbonAcesAntAl
I am hearing the feedback but we are not trying to sell a cheap pick. We could not afford it. We are trying to offer a luxury good to people who want it. We are not trying to sell to everyone. We understand not everyone can afford the picks or wants to pay that. Take cars for example if you are looking at it as getting from A to B you are going to just by say a Ford Fiesta or something but if you want something that will perform better and is precisely engineered you would buy say an Aston Martin. When offering a niche good you are not looking to sell volume but instead offer quality. Hope that is okay

Problem is, the product (a guitar pick) is by nature too mundane or utilitarian to support very much of a market for that. A luxury item usually involves something that has some panache in the first place. Cars posses cultural sway. What you envision is, well, something like a golden can opener. In fact it is only a chrome can opener, just a little better, not a lot.

If you want to distinguish it as a luxury item, you are slumming it too much by marketing it here. An online kick startup is just too plebian. Think glossy ads and rock star endorsements instead. Look for an angel investor. You will receive a bill for my advice in the mail shortly in the amount of 5 picks.
Quote by CarbonAcesAntAl
The price has now been lowered to £0.8 + postage

At that price I might be tempted to try one if I saw it in a music store. It actually looks kind of cool.
Quote by rigatele
Problem is, the product (a guitar pick) is by nature too mundane or utilitarian to support very much of a market for that. A luxury item usually involves something that has some panache in the first place. Cars posses cultural sway. What you envision is, well, something like a golden can opener. In fact it is only a chrome can opener, just a little better, not a lot.

If you want to distinguish it as a luxury item, you are slumming it too much by marketing it here. An online kick startup is just too plebian. Think glossy ads and rock star endorsements instead. Look for an angel investor. You will receive a bill for my advice in the mail shortly in the amount of 5 picks.

I changed our response to that as we have reduced the price so I hope it is more to your liking
Thanks for all the constructive criticism guys. We have now lowered the price to a reasonable level for both us and you. THANK YOU!
You know what, in spite of what i said i did actually try and back this but Kickstarter wants me to set up an account, which i dont wanna do.

When i donate to people on sites like JustGiving.org i can just use Paypal. I really dont wanna set up ANOTHER username and password (to add to the millions of others i have) just to make a one off donation.

No wonder a lot of Kickstarter porjects fail, they entire UI from the perspective of the backer is extremely obstructive. There needs to be little to no resisitance.
Quote by LivinJoke84
You know what, in spite of what i said i did actually try and back this but Kickstarter wants me to set up an account, which i dont wanna do.

When i donate to people on sites like JustGiving.org i can just use Paypal. I really dont wanna set up ANOTHER username and password (to add to the millions of others i have) just to make a one off donation.

No wonder a lot of Kickstarter porjects fail, they entire UI from the perspective of the backer is extremely obstructive. There needs to be little to no resisitance.

I know it is so annoying! UK projects cannot use Paypal. Out of my hands unfortunately. Hope you pledge anyway.
I may reconsider. Its just a pain in the arse and its really screwing over its users. It would be worth it if people were regularly backing numerous projects but, realistically, whos doing that?!
While I respect your intent, I'm pretty sure this type of thread isn't allowed?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I'm not going to reiterate what's been said before, so I'll discuss a slightly different issue. I think you need to have a think about your incentives. Part of the beauty of kickstarter and similar platforms is that it allows people to be involved at some level with a new product and a new company, and provide them with a unique thank you. And now you've lowered the price of the picks, you've sold them to your initial start up investors at an inflated price, when really your investors should be receiving them at early bird prices.
Quote by LivinJoke84
I may reconsider. Its just a pain in the arse and its really screwing over its users. It would be worth it if people were regularly backing numerous projects but, realistically, whos doing that?!

Yea, I totally agree and I am really annoyed. Kickstarter is a bit flawed in areas.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I'm not going to reiterate what's been said before, so I'll discuss a slightly different issue. I think you need to have a think about your incentives. Part of the beauty of kickstarter and similar platforms is that it allows people to be involved at some level with a new product and a new company, and provide them with a unique thank you. And now you've lowered the price of the picks, you've sold them to your initial start up investors at an inflated price, when really your investors should be receiving them at early bird prices.

Don't worry they are all changing to the lower pledge levels. So they will not get charged anymore.
Quote by Arby911
While I respect your intent, I'm pretty sure this type of thread isn't allowed?

I personally dont have any problem with it at all. The project is relevant to the site, he hasnt just posted the link and buggered off hes stayed and joined the discussion and it makes a nice change from all avalanche of threads about Blackstar/Marshall MG/Line 6 Spyder amps

Also, some of your price teirs are showing as "all gone" even though theres only 4 backers (or in one case only 1 backer). Is that right or is it an admin error?

In fact, both your £2 and £3 incentives are the same. I think you need to address this as soon as you can cos since the price drop your campaign is all over the place!
Last edited by LivinJoke84 at Jul 8, 2014,
Quote by CarbonAcesAntAl
Don't worry they are all changing to the lower pledge levels. So they will not get charged anymore.

I think you missed my other point- the quality of incentives. Simply increasing the number of picks doesn't make your incentive list interesting or incentivising. Look at other campaigns. Some amazing products fail, others succeed. The difference? The incentive list. The successful ones are imaginative and unique. You should be giving people a reason to part with their hard earned cash. You need to wow them.