Right please read this thread to the end.
I am looking at trading my 6505 for a marshall JVM210H, I play in two bands now one that is lamb of god, syslosis metal and one that is alter bridge style

I am not trying to match the tones of these bands just be able to play them with the same amp. I like the distortion on the peavey but just dont see it working for the lighter gain style of the other band and plus with the clean channel sucking that bad its a none starter.

I like the tone or a jcm 800 and I heard that it gets pretty close to that on the OD channel of the marshall and i like its clean channel, also the fx loop configiration really would be helpful for me live.

am i being stupid doing this trade. I only say this amp as it has been offered to me by someone others id look at are maybe engl powerball but dont have and offer on the table for that yet.
GUITARS:
Jackson SLS3
Ibanez ART120 w/ Duncans
AMPS:
ENGL Fireball
PEDALS:
Boss NS-2
MXR ZW-44
TC Polytune
Digitech Drop pedal

My band: www.facebook.com/deifieduk
(actually called Deified)
if the 6505 is too heavy, the powerball probably will be too

i have no real opinion on swapping the 6505 for the jvm. i'd have thought the 6505 might be fine for alter bridge type stuff, but since you play it and I don't I'm guessing you know better than I do
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'd take a powerball over a JVM any day.
Very usable cleans and crunch and da chugz sound.
I'd also take a 6505 over a JVM in most cases, and this is one.
It has bells and whistles, but I don't think it's worth it.

Couldn't you find a deal on a DSL head instead?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
tbh the distortion isnt too heavy persay but is abit of a one trick pony and i do need more options for one amp. I thought of the powerball because it has great gain, im going to try the marshall and see what the gain actually sounds like as ive not liked EL34 amps in the past.
GUITARS:
Jackson SLS3
Ibanez ART120 w/ Duncans
AMPS:
ENGL Fireball
PEDALS:
Boss NS-2
MXR ZW-44
TC Polytune
Digitech Drop pedal

I found the JVM to be really really fizzy in my experiences. With the 6505, I think the crunch channel with the gain pretty high gets some nice Alter Bridge-style distortion. I mean Mark uses Mesa Triple Recs and Myles uses Diezels, it's not like they're using vintage-y amps for their distortion sounds.
I'm Mitch, I like making guitar and bass gear reviews/comparisons on YouTube
YouTube

I play bass in an instrumental band called Beyond the Woods
Facebook
Twitter
Maybe look for a Mark IV?
This is the life we must choose.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm surprised that a big arm hasn't appeared out of the amp and slapped you across the face.
The clean on the Peavy is not great, but it's not god-awful either. Recently saw a guy with the 6505 running a BBE sonic stomp, light chorus/delay, minimal compression and got pretty OK cleans.

Granted, that might not be on par for you but have you tried some light FX to bring the clean up to your expectations? I'm sure you've tried but just in case.
A major advantage of the marshall in my opinion, it the fact you can assign the fx loop to different channels, im one for leaving pedals in a rack and using the amp footswitch to bring them into the mix,

Another band I really like are sylosis and I know they use marshalls so thats why I looked at them. I AM NOT TRYING TO SOUND LIKE ALTER Bridge its just other style music I play, I would look at boosting the marshall with my maxon aswell so that would help with the BROOTZ I would like.
GUITARS:
Jackson SLS3
Ibanez ART120 w/ Duncans
AMPS:
ENGL Fireball
PEDALS:
Boss NS-2
MXR ZW-44
TC Polytune
Digitech Drop pedal

I've always found the JVM to be pretty unimpressive. Either a Mesa Mark IV or a Marshall DSL is what you want.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
The cleans and crunch on a JVM is ok but the high gain stuff is complete garbage. For that a 6505 kicks its arse effortlessly.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by classicrocker01
I've always found the JVM to be pretty unimpressive. Either a Mesa Mark IV or a Marshall DSL is what you want.

+3.1415
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Is the marshall DSL that much better than the jvm for metal?
GUITARS:
Jackson SLS3
Ibanez ART120 w/ Duncans
AMPS:
ENGL Fireball
PEDALS:
Boss NS-2
MXR ZW-44
TC Polytune
Digitech Drop pedal

Quote by peavey6505+user
Is the marshall DSL that much better than the jvm for metal?

The old JCM2000 DSL100 sounds better than the JVM 210h. I have done side by side comparisons. The other guitarist I played with for a while had one, My DSL100 just sounded better, less fizz/fuzz in the gain structure. Actually any amp I played with that band sounded better than his JVM, even my old Spider valve head

I play prog rock/metal, punk and other stuff and I had a DSL100 kinda fall in my lap. I was just going to sell it and make some money, but it is deff a keeper amp
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jul 13, 2014,
I may be the only UG member that liked the JVM when I played one (the one I played was the JVM 410 though). Maybe I just happened to dial it in just right, or maybe it was the guitar I selected, but it sounded great to me on the high-gain channel -- but a different kind of high-gain, if you will.

That said, I tried one again later in another store and could not dial it in the way I had the other one no matter what I tried. Point is, spend some time with one and I think it could be a very nice amp. It's certainly versatile.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
^ i quite liked the one i tried too (the 4 channel one, too), but i only got to try it at really low volumes, so I sort of already had tempered my expectations because of that. But yeah, I thought it wasn't bad- I agree with cath, though, i thought the lower gain tones were better than the high gain tones.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^^I was in a Guitar Center and played Slayer's Postmortem/Raining Blood medley and cranked it up proper right before playing Raining Blood. The GC employees came running at that point...

That's kind of how I'd describe the high-gain on them; very close to Slayer's tone. A little dry for a lot of people...
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
How would you say the jcm2000 TSL is for high gain metal but still being versatile to play heavy rock
GUITARS:
Jackson SLS3
Ibanez ART120 w/ Duncans
AMPS:
ENGL Fireball
PEDALS:
Boss NS-2
MXR ZW-44
TC Polytune
Digitech Drop pedal

The TSL is more versitile than the DSL, but most agree the DSL sounds better. The TSL sounds different than the DSL, it has seperate EQ's and 3 channels. I don't have a problem with them and some of my friends have used them for years.

The tubes can make a pretty big difference in the sound of them. The wrong tubes can make it sound fizzy with too much gain
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I don't like the TSL very much either. It's okay, but not great. Kinda like the JVM
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
THe JVM and the TSL are cut from the same cloth. I don't like them. The cleans are better on the JVM than your 6505 but the high gain stuff doesn't hold a candle to it. By comparison the JVM is an ugly, flubby mess.
Buy an RM100, man. Then you can have whatever the hell you want without having to resort to digital guff.

http://salvationmods.com/index.php?page=modifications
http://www.jadedfaithmods.com/mts-mods.html
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Buy an RM100, man.

What a shocking recommendation
I'm Mitch, I like making guitar and bass gear reviews/comparisons on YouTube
YouTube

I play bass in an instrumental band called Beyond the Woods
Facebook
Twitter

Buy an RM100, man. Then you can have whatever the hell you want without having to resort to digital guff.

he is right tho

id keep the 6505 man i wouldn't trade my 6505 for a jvm. i do enjoy the jvm410 but only if im playing 80s metal like van halen, extreme or mr big. other than that the highest gain it can get its megadeth territory. but thats my opinion.

someone mentioned it before and i really think you should buy some lower gain preamp tubes and roll them through to see what you can come up with. i did that on my 5150ii and my 3120 with great results.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Quote by Robbgnarly
The TSL is more versitile than the DSL, but most agree the DSL sounds better. The TSL sounds different than the DSL, it has seperate EQ's and 3 channels. I don't have a problem with them and some of my friends have used them for years.

The tubes can make a pretty big difference in the sound of them. The wrong tubes can make it sound fizzy with too much gain

The issue with the DSL is that it uses 4 preamp tubes just like the DSL but has one channel more so they are spread thin. Not sure exactly the logistics but that's what my amp tech explained at the time they started.
The DSL uses the same tubes as the DSL? You don't say...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Right im big into sylosis and I know they use marshalls, I think he uses a JCM800 and some sort of plexi boosted for his tone. if my tone high gain wise was like that then Id be more than happy with it for the stuff I play. The guy whos on about trading is having to travel a long way to do so and Id feel abit Sh**ty if I didnt go through with the trade if he comes. do you think I am best selling the peavey and going for something like the DSL and have spare change than getting the JVM for my uses. I know that is the same sort of question as my original.
GUITARS:
Jackson SLS3
Ibanez ART120 w/ Duncans
AMPS:
ENGL Fireball
PEDALS:
Boss NS-2
MXR ZW-44
TC Polytune
Digitech Drop pedal

Quote by diabolical
The JVM is perfectly fine, capable amp. I think it will be fine, you can always enhance with a few boost fx if you don't quite like the saturation. I personally like them more than the DSL or TSL.

I would be using my Maxon od808 as a boost for metal stuff anyway you think that will be ok
GUITARS:
Jackson SLS3
Ibanez ART120 w/ Duncans
AMPS:
ENGL Fireball
PEDALS:
Boss NS-2
MXR ZW-44
TC Polytune
Digitech Drop pedal

Well I bit the bullet and did the trade and I can say that I am more than happy with how the JVM sounds, to be honest it was the sound I was looking for to begin with ( I had never tried a Valve marshal before) and In my opinion it sounds a lot tighter than the Peavey probably due to the the bottom end not being as overbearing, when I use my maxon it is the exact sound of sylosis from their 2nd album and thats really what I was aiming for. the clean is great and a breath of freash air from the peavey, dont get me wrong the peavey was great and maybe I wasnt using it right or I was doin the typical metal thing of getting a high gain amp hitting it with an OD pedal and active pickups and thinking that it was the only way to sound heavy but now with the passive warman pickups in my firebird I have a more toned down sound which is just as heavy but is alot more useable for my needs.
GUITARS:
Jackson SLS3
Ibanez ART120 w/ Duncans
AMPS:
ENGL Fireball
PEDALS:
Boss NS-2
MXR ZW-44
TC Polytune
Digitech Drop pedal

I knew within two minutes of strumming whe the guy was round that i liked it, it really is different from the 6505 but I like the way it is different, I think it will help my sound on stage due the the upper mid range and the fact im not competing with the bass player for low end.
GUITARS:
Jackson SLS3
Ibanez ART120 w/ Duncans
AMPS:
ENGL Fireball
PEDALS:
Boss NS-2
MXR ZW-44
TC Polytune
Digitech Drop pedal

Sounds like you got to change the old username now, huh

Not sure about the mix - the 6505 has a brash way of cutting through pretty much everything. The JVM is more of a round, robust tone that sits well in a mix, unlike some of the older Marshalls that have that same brash quality. I am sure with the right sound tech you'd be fine though.