Im about to get my dream job. As a reward for myself i was going to buy a new guitar. Ive been a dean player for a long time, but im also interested in Carvin. I cant decide which one to go with, usa dean custom shop or carvin custom shop. So if any of you can explain which usa built guitar is better that would be cool.
Carvin. You get better bang for your buck.
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
They're both going to be built really well, but Carvin is going to get you that sort of quality for a lot less money.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Carvin.

Order it over the phone, and they can do basically anything you ask for (within reason).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I have a Dean USA, specifically, a Time Capsule Cadillac. I love it, and it is one of my main axes. I plan on buying another Cadillac at some point in the future.

Carvins are made at least as well, and are generally less expensive. Depending on your taste, you may like Dean's pickups better. But for the price differential, you can upgrade the Carvin with top-notch aftermarket pickups.

The reason you would buy a Dean over a Carvin is you want something Dean offers that Carvin does not, like the Caddy body shape.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 8, 2014,
Today's Dean is a revived from the dead Dean company that Gibson bought out. The originals in the late 70's/80's were serious Gibson-formula guitars (woods, scale & construction) with different stylings. Not sure about how they compare today to their heyday but Carvins have always been less accessible as I believe you have to "order" your guitar ahead of time and it's made to your preferences (been around since at least the early 70's IIRC with bolt on LP styled guitars back then when I was a teenager).
Carvin cuts the middleman out (ie vendors) so you get a savings but their business model has kept them more in the specialized or limited market since I was a youngster.
I haven't played any Carvin either as back in the day they were rarely seen but did have the pleasure of playing a late 70's Dean!
Considering the changes between the companies over the years, back in the 70's the Dean was a great guitar & Carvin was still developing. Today I wouldn't be surprised to see the roles reversed. Just an opinion from another old fellow.
Moving on.....
Play em both. I'd take Carvin every time.

I was a into collecting guitars til I got my first Carvin...to me their playability is second to none especially considering value

It's not like the Carvins are a 'good' $800 guitar

It's a good guitar regardless of price point
I have 2 Carvins and I love how they play. Really comfortable necks in my opinion. Yes you might have to swap out the pups if they aren't to your liking but I've swapped out pickups from a Gibson LP because I wanted a different sound so that shouldn't really be a breaking point IMO.
Carvin has so many different options and some options that aren't necessarily advertised all the time like the ability to have the neck shaved down to be thinner and getting a one pickup version of a two pickup guitar. On top of that I genuinely believe that from an aesthetics point of view, Carvin's tops are only rivaled by much smaller, much more expensive custom guitar shops like Black Water Guitars.
Gibson LP Studio
Taylor 518E
Washburn WD15SCE acoustic electric
Carvin DC727 (ordered! The wait is driving me nuts!)
i would take the carvin built to your spec and later upgrade the pups and wiring. still probably cheaper than the dean custom which i imagine is ballpark 2000 plus?
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Thanks guys! I'm deffinitly going to go Carvin now. I really appreciate yall's time. And yes TOPDEEPBLUE I did read that in snape's voice, and then Morgan Freeman, so GOOD TIMES! Thanks again everybody, ill still keep checking this forum to see everyone elses opinion.
Quote by ikey_
i would take the carvin built to your spec and later upgrade the pups and wiring. still probably cheaper than the dean custom which i imagine is ballpark 2000 plus?

Carvin will do that for you if you order over the phone - Option 50s are cool.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.