I'm looking for a 2nd guitar that is a step up from beginner. I am used to a squire bullet so it doesn't get much worse. My budget is $500 and plan on buying used. Scratch and Dent is fine with me as long as It doesn't affect the playability.Blues and Rock are my Favorite. My eyes have been on The MIM Stratocaster, but am open to any suggestions. Would also like to know your opinion on Reverend and PRS Guitars.
A MiM Fender, a G&L Tribute, or some of the Godins (Progression, Session, Empire) would be very good options under $600.

PRS and Reverend are excellent guitars, but it may be hard to find a good one in the $500 price range. I don't know that I've seen a PRS at that price, and I've only seen a couple of Revs go that cheaply. The only one I know of right now is a used Daredevil at Elderly Instruments- that's their discontinued version of the SG.

If you can save up another $100-250, you'll REALLY open up your options as far as seriously upgrading your guitar.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 9, 2014,
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 8, 2014,
Last christmas (i gave you my heart, and the very next day you gave it away)

excuse me.
Last Christmas this model of PRS was put on super clearance at the local Guitar Center. It was marked down to 450$ brand new.
Of course the graphics must have had something to do with the fact that it is STILL on the wall at the GC (as far as I know anyways) but let this encourage you with the knowledge that you can get PRS SE guitars for good price. I normally see brand new custom 24s in the 650-ish range. You ought to be able to get a used one.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/PRS-SE-Grand-Am-Electric-Guitar-108854118-i2951816.gc?source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=CNqPr9W1t78CFc3m7AodrHgA8A&kwid=productads-plaid^74855743242-sku^108854118@ADL4GC-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^42729274962
Aren't the stock pups in the Blackjack a bit hot for blues/rock?

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Aren't the stock pups in the Blackjack a bit hot for blues/rock?

Depends on when it was made. Until 2013 they were a ’59/JB set, which is bog standard for blues/rock.
I don't know reverand guitars, but I have an american standard strat that I love, and a PRS se single cut that is also a great guitar. Both are great for rock. The strat can even pull off great metal with the right pedal. They have different neck lengths, though, and shapes, so I think you should just play both and see which feels best. I think the strat will have a wider range of tones. You will be better off in the used market. You will get more guitar for your money, but I would go to a store and just see what neck length and shape feels more comfortable to you. I think those are both great guitars though. I have heard really good things about the mim classic vibe strats. The Korean PRS I got had too high an action at first, so budget a set up or study and do one yourself. Mine both play really nice.
I'd go with a MIM Strat and if you buy it used and have some money left over, put some Lace Sensor Gold pickups in it.
FWIW, I have 3 Reverends...and want more. Blues/rock is right in their wheelhouse, they're well made, and generally have a unique aesthetic.

Quote by jpnyc
Depends on when it was made. Until 2013 they were a ’59/JB set, which is bog standard for blues/rock. virtually every guitar which comes stock with Duncans, regardless of the music genre it's aimed at...

Fixed

Seriously though, the JB/'59 set is pretty versatile, and I can sort of see why they put it in everything (guitarists have heard of it and think it's "quality", it's a jack of all trades set, and if they buy squillions of the same pickup they probably get better prices), but I don't really agree with it, either. if you ask me the JB is far too hot for blues rock. It's more of an 80s rock/metal pickup, if you ask me (I know I said it was jack of all trades, I mean that's sort of the output that it excels at).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
OTOH, the '59 is probably my favorite SD pickup. Nice tones, versatile. About the only thing I wouldn't use ken for is high-output metal.

oh yeah no complaints on the '59 here (the neck version, anyway, I haven't tried the bridge).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
There's a '59 in the neck of my Fernandes Ravelle Goldtop LE, which is identical in specs to the SHIN Ravelle...which is one reason I want one of the SHIN Koi.
http://www.fernandesguitars.com/shin-series.html

However, Godin put the bridge '59 in their Richmond Belmont, which has become the focus of my seach to buy a guitar dedicated to learning & playing slide.
www.richmondguitarscanada.com/belmont.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAI0JUbO6Uo&sns=em

So is it safe to say that Holiday seasons are the best time to buy? or is it the luck of the draw?
While it is true that holidays bring sales, I look year round- you never know when someone is going to have a clearance sale for some reason. Sometimes just on a single brand...or even one particular model.

And the used market is a total wildcard.

^^^ Yeah I don't think I've ever come across a guitar in stock at a local store with a bridge '59 I know a few guitars exist with them, just never come across them.

^ Yeah, pretty much. In the USA there are often sales on public holidays, too (you'll know better than me, obviously). And even in Europe, just after Christmas and also during the summer there are often sales- not in every shop or anything like that, or necessarily on all stock, but enough shops have them that it's worth checking their websites around those times. But other than that, it's pretty random.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^^^ Yeah I don't think I've ever come across a guitar in stock at a local store with a bridge '59 I know a few guitars exist with them, just never come across them.

The Belmont is the only one I can think of off the top of my head, and not even the (precious few) stores around here in the Dallas area that stock Godins keep the Richmond line on hand. So I've never seen one in person.

Oddly, though, I saw quite a few used store models for sale out of stores in Wisconsin. Not even Canadian stores, but WISCONSIN.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I got a used PRS SE for about $275 off eBay. It's pretty dinged up on the backside, but nobody sees that so it doesn't matter. Anyway, I like to just look at guitars, especially PRS's, and there are usually a good number around $300 to $400 on eBay, Guitar Center, whatever.
Don't buy a guitar based off a forum recommendation (not that it's not ok to hear which ones people like).

Go to a store and play them to figure out what you want, that's the only way. Then you can say --- I really like the guitar style of X and X, and then people can recommend a guitar within the style of body and playability and scale that you prefer.
I totally love my PRS se singlecut. The se's are really nice guitars for their cost. I haven't even modified mine. Its great as is.
Pic?
Quote by coderguy
Don't buy a guitar based off a forum recommendation (not that it's not ok to hear which ones people like).

Go to a store and play them to figure out what you want, that's the only way. Then you can say --- I really like the guitar style of X and X, and then people can recommend a guitar within the style of body and playability and scale that you prefer.

To a certain extent I agree- forums can tell you objective stuff like how well the thing is made (even that's tempered to an extent by preference, plus the specific models the forum members actually played), and they can also make you aware of different guitar you maybe didn't know about, but are no substitute for trying the thing and finding your own preference.

That being said, it also depends on where you are- if you're in an area with no (or poor) guitar shops, it's a lot harder to try things.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Not to mention...

OK, I'd better mention: some actual quality stuff is out there made by companies/luthiers whose production is simply too small-scale (read "rare") or distribution is so limited or business model is such that your odds of ever seeing one in person in a store are slim to none, regardless of where you live.

Hell's bells: I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex- one of the biggest metropolitan areas in the USA- and I wouldn't own but maybe 1/10th of my collection if I only bought what I could find in my local stores.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 12, 2014,
Yeah. Same here. (Well, not the same area, obviously, but it's the same thing... if I only bought what I could try locally I'd have a lot less stuff. Actually maybe that's an argument for only shopping locally )
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It is...but it is also an argument against getting the best deal for your money.

Yeah
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Fret Frier
I'm looking for a 2nd guitar that is a step up from beginner. I am used to a squire bullet so it doesn't get much worse. My budget is $500 and plan on buying used. Scratch and Dent is fine with me as long as It doesn't affect the playability.Blues and Rock are my Favorite. My eyes have been on The MIM Stratocaster, but am open to any suggestions. Would also like to know your opinion on Reverend and PRS Guitars.

I'm not remotely qualified to recommend any of your choices. I'm posting to let you know your $500 budget should get you a MIM Strat. I just got one today for $576 and change.

$499 guitar. $29 gig bag and tax. Out the door.

I'm very happy with it so far, BTW. Had trouble making my mind up between the blue or the white. Blue won.
Quote by Atomic Wedgie
I'm not remotely qualified to recommend any of your choices. I'm posting to let you know your $500 budget should get you a MIM Strat. I just got one today for $576 and change.

$499 guitar. $29 gig bag and tax. Out the door.

I'm very happy with it so far, BTW. Had trouble making my mind up between the blue or the white. Blue won.

Buying new is buying Overpriced. I went window shopping today and one of the local pawn shops had a clean MIM Strat for $259, probably could have walked out with it for $210-220 tax included.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Buying new is buying Overpriced. I went window shopping today and one of the local pawn shops had a clean MIM Strat for $259, probably could have walked out with it for $210-220 tax included.

Eh, it depends.

Yeah, the used market is full of great guitars. But sometimes, what you want is only available on a new guitar. So you can pay with patience & time or you can pay with cash.

And some things don't actually depreciate. One of my first guitars was a Dean Time Capsule Cadillac that I had to special order back in 2003 or so. But they sent the wrong one. The regional Dean rep personally delivered the correct one to me, and asked if I might buy the one sent in error, since it looked bad to have high-end axes going back to the factory, I said I'd love to...but couldn't afford it. He reluctantly took it back, and I reluctantly let it go.

I recently saw that same guitar on eBay. It was on sale for the same price it would have cost back then...and someone bought it.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 12, 2014,
Quote by Arby911

But with a new guitar you get a warranty and you know the frets aren't worn. With a used one, you better know what you're looking at or let someone in the know check it out for you. There are some good deals on used guitars but there are some bad ones also.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Eh, it depends.

Yeah, the used market is full of great guitars. But sometimes, what you want is only available on a new guitar. So you can pay with patience & time or you can pay with cash.

And some things don't actually depreciate. One of my first guitars was a Dean Time Capsule Cadillac that I had to special order back in 2003 or so. But they sent the wrong one. The regional Dean rep personally delivered the correct one to me, and asked if I might buy the one sent in error, since it looked bad to have high-end axes going back to the factory, I said I'd love to...but couldn't afford it. He reluctantly took it back, and I reluctantly let it go.

I recently saw that same guitar on eBay. It was on sale for the same price it would have cost back then...and someone bought it.

If it's unavailable used that's quite a different story no? Also, I don't know how long ago your story took place but the guitar you describe lost value due to inflation if it was selling at the same price...
Charles Darwin
I saw it late last year, so basically, the price has remained constant for about a decade.

Certainly, it has depreciated in relative value due to inflation, but in absolute dollars, its price is unchanged.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
I saw it late last year, so basically, the price has remained constant for about a decade.

Certainly, it has depreciated in relative value due to inflation, but in absolute dollars, its price is unchanged.

There are a good many things I should like to buy in absolute dollars relative to a decade ago, you?

I'll start with Google stock...
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
There are a good many things I should like to buy in absolute dollars relative to a decade ago, you?

I'll start with Google stock...

Yeah, buddy! Back then, gold was 1/4 the price it is now, and some precious stones I own have appreciated 100x their purchase price. Some I DIDN'T buy appreciated did that within a year...

Going further back, In the year of my birth, a Lotus Esprit Turbo was $10,000...3/4 the price of my parents' house.

You gotta watch out for things on used guitars like rust, massively warped neck, mold (rare but I suppose it could happen), and bridge damage.