I have been learning on a Mustang 1 amp and. At some point will upgrade. Is it possible to get a tube amp under 500... used is fine. What Names should I be looking at or stay away from? I want to have a simple tube amp that I can Gig with and is easily portable. What should I expect to pay?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 8, 2014,
Hell yes you can.
My half stack cost me less than that.

Though, where do you live and what kinda stuff do you wanna play?
Give us bands as examples.

Also what other gear do you have?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Jul 8, 2014,
Easily done if you are patient /lucky enough. I got a Krank Chadwick 2x12 combo ($1900 when they were in business) for $400 (+50 for shipping and tax). Be patient and you can snag a killer deal.
You can regularly get Fender HRDIII's for under 500. Great amps that take pedals really well, which is good, because the distortion isn't the best on it.
several DSL 112 combos pop up for under $400
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
B52 AT-112 & AT-212 are both <$400.

Genre?
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

In this price range you'll be getting amps that are much more specialized for certain sounds & genres, instead of the cheaper amps that "do it all." We can't give you much help until we know what sorts of sounds you're after.
I'm Mitch, I like making guitar and bass gear reviews/comparisons on YouTube
YouTube

I play bass in an instrumental band called Beyond the Woods
Facebook
Twitter
Quote by Jmoarguitar
You can regularly get Fender HRDIII's for under 500. Great amps that take pedals really well, which is good, because the distortion isn't the best on it.

I own a HRDIII, and agree 100%.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

With no restrictions other than price I would also vote for the Fender Hot Rod series. Amazing clean sound and reverb plus, as was mentioned, it takes pedals really well. Unless you're predominantly into really heavy stuff I think I could stand by this answer regardless of any other specifications you might add.
Quote by ElMaco
My last pay check was £0 working 0 hours. I can't believe how easy it was
I have played a Fender HRD extensively and i can also vouch for them. Again, i use it as a clean platform and get dirt through my pedals, which they take very well. The reverb is also very nice on them.

Once complaint i do have about them though (think theyve fixed this on the newer models) is the volume control at low levels. Youll be playing with volume set at 1 and decide you want just a teeeeeny bit more volume, so you move the volume knob by a hairs bredth and the volume jumps in a huge way and suddenly youve blown out the windows. The difference between 1.7 and 2 is absurd, the type of volume jump youd have to do a quarter turn on any other amp to get the same result. This is an older model im using, with the mirrored top panel, though.

Those things are seriously loud. Ive gigged with one and its never been past 3 on the volume
Last edited by LivinJoke84 at Jul 9, 2014,
I haven't had the volume control problem, but yea, HRDs bring some serious punch to the party. Mine hasn't been above 4.

Its always been a problem at band pracice. Im playing on about 1.8 and cant quite hear myself, so i turn up to 1.9 - 2 and suddenly im deafening the rest of the band. I just cannot find the middle ground.

Seems its a bit hit and miss, if you google it you'll find other people with the same problem

TS - unless you need enough volume to end the world and an amp that weighs enough to crush a Ford Fiesta, but like the Fender stuff, have a look at a Blues Jr
Last edited by LivinJoke84 at Jul 9, 2014,
All of this is pointless until we know what you want to sound like. I will point out, however, my Valveking tube combo was $100. So you could actually buy 5 for $500, at least.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
An alternative to the Fender HRD would be the Ampeg GVT52-112 (also used to fit your budget).

Compared to the Fender, the Ampeg has a better clean channel, a better spring reverb, it takes pedals equally well, and the 2nd channel is a fuzz that's actually usable.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by LivinJoke84
Its always been a problem at band pracice. Im playing on about 1.8 and cant quite hear myself, so i turn up to 1.9 - 2 and suddenly im deafening the rest of the band. I just cannot find the middle ground.

Seems its a bit hit and miss, if you google it you'll find other people with the same problem

TS - unless you need enough volume to end the world and an amp that weighs enough to crush a Ford Fiesta, but like the Fender stuff, have a look at a Blues Jr

You can switch out the volume pot for something with a smooth taper. Very common upgrade for those amps.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Wait so none of you have cranked your HRDs? You're missing out I crank mine all the time! Past 4 it doesn't get much louder, only hairier, but at that point it's loud enough to keep up with a construction site.

As for the volume knob, it's really not that big of a deal. Just work in veeeeery small movements between 1 & 2 to get a suitable level.

I still think we need to know what OP plays to give him a good suggestion, though. I got an HRD in hopes that a good distortion pedal in front would satisfy my needs, but I find myself preferring the sound of an amp's distortion more.
I'm Mitch, I like making guitar and bass gear reviews/comparisons on YouTube
YouTube

I play bass in an instrumental band called Beyond the Woods
Facebook
Twitter
Ive had it cranked and yeah, it doesnt really get much louder past 4 or 5, just dirtier. its a bit daft i think. To have the difference in volume between 1 and 2 to be huge then the difference between 4 and 12(!) to be slight is just mental in my eyes
Quote by bassmastamitch
Wait so none of you have cranked your HRDs? You're missing out I crank mine all the time! Past 4 it doesn't get much louder, only hairier, but at that point it's loud enough to keep up with a construction site.

Beyond 3-4, it scares my pets and disturbs my neighbors.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Beyond 3-4, it scares my pets and disturbs my neighbors.

You say that like it's a bad thing?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
F the neighbors, but I love mah doggies!