Ive been finding my guitars have too much tension on the strings. i cant get a decent vibrato out of them. my guitar is strung with not even slinkys (12-56). I find that a guitar strung with 11s is much easier to play. can i add springs to the back of the floyd on my .12 strung guitar to give me less tension?
No, the tension on the strings depends on the thickness of the string and the tuning. The Floyd has nothing to do with it. Get rid of the 12s and move back to 11s if you want the guitar to be easier to play.
Quote by dspellman
No, the tension on the strings depends on the thickness of the string and the tuning. The Floyd has nothing to do with it. Get rid of the 12s and move back to 11s if you want the guitar to be easier to play.

Thanks for the help ! Sorry if i sounded like a dumbass.
What tuning are you using with the not even slinkys? I keep my floyd guitar in standard D and sometimes drop C with skinny top heavy bottoms and it feels great. Tense enough for chug on the low strings and super easy to bend the highs. And good tremelo action.
Quote by the_bi99man
What tuning are you using with the not even slinkys? I keep my floyd guitar in standard D and sometimes drop C with skinny top heavy bottoms and it feels great. Tense enough for chug on the low strings and super easy to bend the highs. And good tremelo action.

DGCFAD
Quote by dspellman

I always find if I tighten the fine tuners too much it makes the strings harder to bend. It might just be my imagination, but I wonder if it's similar to the way that people say that guitars with less/more (i forget which way round ) string length after the bridge are easier/harder to bend on. You need the same force to bend but there's more resistance to the bending. Something like that.

I try to use the fine tuners as little as possible for that reason

But aside from that, I agree- if 12s are too tight odds are going back to 11s is the easiest fix which is guaranteed to work.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I don't think the fine tuners matter, either.

It *could* be that your strings are just old or stiff. When I first got a Floyd I was told that the fine tuners should be reset to a middle position (to allow adjustment in either direction). I've found that I rarely need to deal with too-sharp notes once the strings are a day or so old, so I mostly leave them out, within a thread or to of fully so.

Getting the springs where you like them can be a bit tricky; I like the springs to be a bit stiff at the beginning of their travel. It better resists the tendency of the butt-end of the Floyd to life when you bend. If the Floyd DOES lift, you end up pushing the string further across the fretboard, your fretting fingers run into other strings and bending becomes more difficult, and the other strings go flat more quickly. I also like a gauge thinner strings on a Floyd-equipped guitar than on the same guitar with a hard tail or tailpiece. More of the bend takes place in the string stretch than in the spring stretch. There's no Youtube or master's class for this, but some of the really experienced techs will listen to your laments, wander back in the shop with your guitar for a few minutes, and then come back with a Guitar That Makes Sense. When you can figure out what they're doing, it's a Revelation Moment.

Most of my Floyded guitars are 24.75" scale with 9's, and that makes a difference. We're zeroing in on getting the 25.5" Variax JTV-89F just so, but I've been using 10's on that sucker, and I've been forcing my hands to get used to that combination of gauge/scale/spring tension and to do so with precision. Going back to the shorter scale thinner-gauge string guitars is almost like hitting marshmallows after that.
Last edited by dspellman at Jul 9, 2014,
yeah my strings probably are old

I normally use 9s with floyds too, at least for E tuning (though I think all my floyd guitars are 25.5").

I prefer the floyd to be pretty responsive rather than stiff. the whole other strings going sharp thing is annoying, but if I'm going to use the trem I prefer it to feel the way I want, and compensate for the other sharp strings by bending slightly (or just not doing double-stop bends ).

Yeah I normally set the fine tuners to middle, for the reason you said.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?