Looking to upgrade my 3rd hand squire strat for something a bit more flashy and have narrowed it down to a couple:

Gretsch Pro Jet electromatic: http://www.gak.co.uk/en/gretsch-g5434-pro-jet-black/53172

Les Paul Custom PRO: http://www.gak.co.uk/en/epiphone-les-paul-custom-pro-ebony/57307

Which should I go for? I mostly play heavy metal/classic rock, a bit of ska and rockabilly here and there too
Last edited by hankhill0101 at Jul 9, 2014,
Both good. Coin Flip.

Are they considered "bit more flashy?"

What's really going to make a difference for you is if the frets are truly level and if you can spend for a Really Good Initial Setup.
I'm tempted to say the epi might be better, since it's not chambered, if you play a fair bit of heavier stuff. I've never tried a gretsch, though, so that might well be BS.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I like the Gretsch but I do not play metal much and always wanted one. The Gretsch would be better for Ska and Rockabilly. The Les Paul would do better at metal. Classic rock is a tossup consider that AC/DC rhythm guitar is mostly Gretsch, the Cult uses them too. Chambered bodies have more presence when played clean.
Both are good axes, and I basically agree with Zhaezzy's assessment.

However- Dave_Mc, you can see this coming- I would throw Reverend into the mix. Some of these on eBay are in your price range.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Electric-/33034/i.html?_from=R40&_sop=15&_nkw=reverend+guitar
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Have one of each in the store I work in (although our Gretsch is in sexy gold top ), and I would personally put my money on the Gretsch, all and only because I like the feel of the neck. Both of those guitars would be worth it investments, but the necks are a bit polarizing.

As with any This vs That decision in the instrument world, the best thing you can do is really to just play them both and see which is more comfortable. If you can't try them and you like your necks a bit chunkier, though, go with the Epiphone.
Quote by dannyalcatraz

Dave_Mc, you can see this coming

LOL
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?