Over the years my dedication to playing the guitar has peaked and waned in cycles and I have noticed that two feelings always give me the drive to do more, it is like a drug that I can't get enough of.

The first is that feeling of "getting it". When you practice a piece, either your own or someone else's, for weeks on end until eventually it clicks and you can play it perfectly at the target tempo without looking at the fretboard or even really thinking about it. I love this because it put me in a mind state that I am not in very often during everyday life. I can only describe this mind state as being "In the moment"

The next feeling is the one that usually comes shortly after being able to play your songs perfectly and that is the feeling of doing it on-stage. It is the same in the moment feeling mixed with the adrenalin rush of doing it in front of a crowd of people. There is an energy in the room that is missing in your bedroom and you can really feel that energy when you are on stage entertaining a crown with your musical presence.

It may be strange but just wanting to be in that state makes me continue playing music despite anything that happens in my life.

What does it for you?
For me it would have to be playing with others. There's simply nothing like it. It's even more satisfying when you see that you are not only up to par with them, but possibly better and more motivated to achieve your goals.
The joy of improvement and of course the social aspect. I love playing with others, hence why i play with so many groups. And the feeling i get everyday at a practice session when i feel that i can play whatever i am practicing a little better than the day before is great.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Quote by Sickz
And the feeling i get everyday at a practice session when i feel that i can play whatever i am practicing a little better than the day before is great.

I second that. Didn't Wes Montgomery used to say that even a minute improvement in your playing can push you even further?
Songwriting. I haven't played to get better technically in a long time, and my playing time has dropped substantially since joining the working world. Also, I had always been lead guitarist in my bands until this one, where I opted to mostly play rhythm since the other guitarist smokes me on leads. So I've tried to focus on interesting rhythms, different chords and voicings and riffs. Now, when I pick up the guitar, it's to write a song for my band. When I come up with a good riff or interesting chord progression, it's a great feeling.
When I'm a few lines away from finishg a new song.

So I'll have 8 lines the verse naile
4 lines in a chorus
Then - 6 lines into the verse. Then I 'see it' and jot down those last few lines.

That's a great feeling. I also really enjoy smashing out a cover or original from start to finish and it has a distinct 'personal' feel. I figure if I want to hear 'smells like teen spirit' sound like Nirvana, I'd listen to Nevermind. If I wanna hear a cover - it should sound different.

The sound of 2 week old strings alO feels great.
Quote by flaaash
When I'm a few lines away from finishing a new song.

So I'll have 8 lines the verse nailed
4 lines in a chorus
Then - 6 lines into the verse. Then I 'see it' and jot down those last few lines.

Yes! I love this feeling to, it should be third on my list. Especially when you have been working your creativity for a while and experimenting with a few things then the "Right" piece just comes out of nowhere and hits you and when you hear yourself play it you just know that's the one.

It happens also with lyric writing in a big way, when you get that combination of words, sounds and syllables just perfect you think to yourself "holy crap that sounds good" and you stick with that.
A few times I've had an opening line for a song (with a melody), I prepare to do some work and it all pretty much falls our in a few hours - music and lyrics for the verses and chorus. One song I'm quite proud of - making a home out of a house.

There's also the awesome feeling of learning to play a song for the first time. Sure it may not be new to you, but the chords and stuff are, for example learning Words Of Love by Buddy Holly or She Loves You by The Beatles. You instantly see why the song works so well when you look at a song like i Am The Walrus through analytical eyes, you appreciate it more IMO.
woah I almost forgot about this thread. Feel free to share a link to that song dude.

What about the first time you learn to sing and play a song at the same time. For me this was particularly rewarding because I had tried so long and eventually given up, I started to believe that I was a person that just couldn't sing and play.

Eventually I had the free time and motivation to break through that belief with enough practice and a song I really wanted to be able to play and sing to a girl. When it first clicked and for just a few seconds I could play and sing in-time without losing the rhythm it felt amazing, like the heavens had opened up and bestowed a great gift upon me haha maybe its just me but that was an awesome moment, once it happened playing and singing became something I could just do.
Three things...

1. Writing a great composition. Whenever I hear all the instruments come together in perfect sync. Feeling that shiver run down my spine.

2. Practicing and writing with others. I love collaborating. I think some of the best music is written with others.

3. Playing live. No other feeling like it.