Hello, i would like to ask if someone could help me out with the distrortion choices/sets since im terrible at it. Im using a Zoom G2,1 KL distortion pedal, and an Ibanez Gio (i know it's not that good of a guitar). As for the amplifier, it depends on where we usually play, but most of the times it's just Marshall. the problem is that most of my distortions usually sound "electronic" and "fake".... So any advices what to watch out what not to do are welcome! Thnx in advance!
I personsally use a Wampler Soverign (Distortion) and a Wampler Paisley Drive (Overdrive).

Otherwise I use the amps distortion, however I hate the distortion on most solid state amps so can understand why you're looking at other options. Have you considered investing in a tube amp?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
^ Yeah. It really depends on how much you're willing to spend, and what tones you're after.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Saliakoutas
Hello, i would like to ask if someone could help me out with the distrortion choices/sets since im terrible at it. Im using a Zoom G2,1 KL distortion pedal, and an Ibanez Gio (i know it's not that good of a guitar). As for the amplifier, it depends on where we usually play, but most of the times it's just Marshall. the problem is that most of my distortions usually sound "electronic" and "fake".... So any advices what to watch out what not to do are welcome! Thnx in advance!

Get a good tube amp. I wasted a lot of money and many years trying to get my old solid state to sound good with pedals etc. If you're not getting a good tone straight out of the amp, that's you're first priority.
I know i have to throw money at it that's for sure! but im kinda short at the moment so i was hoping for some tips about the preset settings to just get a better sound!
Turn down the gain. Basic mistake most guitarists make is using more distortion than they need, especially when playing with others.
Also, don't scoop the mids. Those middle frequencies are where guitars live and die. Sure it sounds huge when you're playing alone, but the second you have a bassist and a kick drum, suddenly you're all crowding the low end, and that sweet spot of middle frequencies is completely empty.
It sometimes has to do with the way your amp is equalized..... dont be afraid to turn trebles down, bass up, and mids up. Also remember theres an eq on your pedal as well...so if thats cranked hard right on the tone then ease that back some too.
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
Quote by reverb66
Get a good tube amp. I wasted a lot of money and many years trying to get my old solid state to sound good with pedals etc. If you're not getting a good tone straight out of the amp, that's you're first priority.

Well, I dunno if I'd go quite so black and white as that (certain tones are more pedal-based), but I do agree with the basic premise i.e. get a good (probably tube) amp and it might cure all of your problems in one fell swoop (I wasted a lot of time and money with SS amps too ). Plus pedals normally sound better with tube amps too, so even if you like fuzz or something like that, a fuzz pedal will likely sound better with a tube amp anyway.

and yeah what koslack and 91rg350 said regarding dialling the thing in. also using a suitable amp model (your zoom has amp models, right?) should help, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?