Hi, I currently have a Focusrite Saffire 6, and there's someone selling a secondhand M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R at $180 bucks, would it be an upgrade? Is it even worthy at all? Will it make my guitar audio quality sound better? Is it just the same as my interface but with more ports?

Here's some stuff I've recently recorded, just for reference, it's not even final, still needs polishing.

https://soundcloud.com/lonestarstate/song-69

The drums are MIDI by the way.
If you need the extra ports then you need the extra ports. If you don't then this probably isn't a wise investment.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
The audio quality will likely not be better - both sound no more than decent.

If you need more inputs get a bigger and better audio interface - a saffire pro 40 or a mackie onyx blackbird or something similar.
If you just need higher quality get a better audio interface - an onyx blackjack or an spl crimson or an apogee duet depending on your budget and OS.

So, what's your budget and what stuff do you want to do with it?
How many tracks do you wanna record at a time, how many outputs do you need... ?

Also for the love of *whoever loves you most* don't get a scarlett.
If you don't have a firewire port and you want a firewire interface get a firewire card.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
C'mon Luca, the Scarlett 18i20 is literally the Pro 40 on USB2. And adding a firewire card is not the easiest task in the world (they're not all compatible with all motherboards and devices like most other expansion cards), and may not even be possible if TS uses a laptop without expansion cards.
AFAIK the saffire's pre's run on more current, which is a considerable improvement considering the lack of gain and clarity of the scarlett's range.
Not really sure if you could improve the clarity, but he sure could use some more gain if he were using an SM57 or an SM7.

I usually feel like suggesting firewire because I still have to find a good sounding usb audio interface with more than a handful of i/o options, and even the small usb ones I've found don't really sound good unless your budget goes over $300.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
The Scarlett and Saffire range both have the same components for preamps and conversion, the only difference is the protocol they use to connect to your computer.

As far as gain is concerned, both lines should have plenty of gain to power an SM57 on almost any source. Neither really has enough to power an SM7b properly... But then again, there's VERY few interfaces out there that do.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com