So what's the best way to connect my distortion pedals and other fx - into the input of my dsl or in the fx loop of the dsl ? Is there a best way of doing this ?

cheers
Quote by adetheheat
So what's the best way to connect my distortion pedals and other fx - into the input of my dsl or in the fx loop of the dsl ? Is there a best way of doing this ?

cheers

Time based effects generally go into the FX loop.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
If your getting dirt from your pedals only, stick it all in the front.

If dirt is coming from your amp stick your time based fx (chorus, delay, reverb etc) in the f/x loop.

In either case dirt pedals go in the front
^ yeah

which pedals do you have exactly? just so we can be sure we're advising you correctly.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
well I was going to buy the Boss Me80 multi fx and use that for distortion. I don't want to use the 4 cable method (not possible on the me80) so needed to know whether to chuck it all in front.
I wouldn't think you would need a distortion pedal with the DSL. I am a bigger fan of the older ones but if anything you would really only need a TS as a boost. Then like others have said use the fx loop. I like modulation and delay effects through the loop (phaser, flanger, delay, reverb), but that is just me.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
I'm kinda in the same boat as you. I have a Digitech RP500 which does everything except the 4 cable method and I recently got a blackstar HT5. In my case I really like the distortion from the HT5 so I put the RP500 in the FX loop and only use it for chorus, delay, and extra reverb. What I'm sacrificing is the ability to have an overdrive or compression on the front for a little extra kick, and I can't use the RP500 wah.

It works, but it's not ideal. I will be slowly stepping away from the digital unit as funds become available for a proper pedalboard. The RP500 just does something a tiny bit weird to the tone even with all FX off and amp/cab bypass on.

EDIT: I thought you already had the ME-80... If you like your amps dirty tone I'd make sure to get something that does the 4 cable thing (assuming you don't want to go the individual pedal route). There is also the Line 6 M13 which does just pedals and the 4 cable method (but not amp/cab sim).
2002 Gibson Les Paul Studio
2014 Fender Strat (American Nitro Honeyburst)
2003 Ibanez Acoustic
Digitech RP500
Blackstar HT5R
Last edited by demonhellcat at Jul 10, 2014,
Quote by adetheheat
well I was going to buy the Boss Me80 multi fx and use that for distortion. I don't want to use the 4 cable method (not possible on the me80) so needed to know whether to chuck it all in front.

yeah if you want to use that and it won't let you run it both in the loop and in front and you want to use its distortion... you pretty much have to chuck it all in front. I think.

or you could always get a couple of separate pedals for dirt or whatever and then chuck the me80 in the loop.

(I don't have much experience with multifxes, so don't quote me on that)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
quick question - suppose you don't use input to the amp and so also don't use the amps fx send. Can I plug the effects unit directly into the amp fx return and just use the amp's master volume control ?
Quote by adetheheat
quick question - suppose you don't use input to the amp and so also don't use the amps fx send. Can I plug the effects unit directly into the amp fx return and just use the amp's master volume control ?

Yes, provided that you don't need to boost the gain very much. If you're getting enough volume from the amp, this should work.